• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Yomi - Sirlin's Fighting game card game thing

Started by fluxcore, May 28, 2008, 10:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

Heh, I just wondered what the deal was with Sirlin's Yomi card game he talked about months and months ago, so did a google search and discovered the following:

http://www.sirlin-games.com/yomi

Which includes some sample artworks and some super-alpha RULES!

The game sounds really interesting, I think you have a deck of cards (52 + 2 jokers) for each character. Seems like there will be Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, and "Fantasy Strike" characters.

QUICK START RULES
Remove your Character Card from your deck and set it aside for reference.
Shuffle your deck, then draw 7 cards.
Play a card face down with your desired move on the edge of the card toward the opponent (he does the same). When both cards are down, reveal them.
See who wins the paper (attack), rock (throw), scissors (block or dodge) exchange.
If someone lands an attack or throw, he can combo more cards until he reaches his character's Combo Limit or until he does an Ender move. Record the damage taken on a sheet of paper.
You can play a joker to nullify the opponent's entire combo or nullify another player's joker.
After combat, discard the cards in play, then optionally discard from your hand any pairs, three-of-a-kinds, or four-of-a-kinds to build your super meter by searching for one, two or three aces, respectively.
Start the next turn and from now on draw one card at the start of each turn.

The full rules are totally not finished, but give an idea of how the game might play, it seems pretty sweet to me!
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

samurai black

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Sirlin has released a beta, including sample decks :)

http://www.sirlin.net/yomi

Password is the name of a very dominant Japanese player... 5 letters, starts with d...
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Wow, this thread was so fail.

Anyway, Sirlin has finally nailed this down, and is releasing a complete set sometime January! here's a vid of all the stuff in the box

Shame he couldn't get the rights to the SF chars, but it still looks pretty cool

CptMunta

Digging the artwork. Sirlin was pretty thorough with packing in all the features and having the rules in the decks etc. I know he didn't get the rights to the characters but I wonder if he has an early version sporting Street Fighter characters somewhere. Not really into card flopping but this seems interesting.
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

LN

Here's a review by some guy who has a lot of board games (see the last minute or so!)

Damnit, now I want to get it, but shipping is going to be insane.
There is no knowledge that is not power

LN

Actually, due to exchange rate I probably will consider getting this shit.

Yomi deluxe version + Puzzle strike deluxe + basic flash duel + shipping = $280

I don't think extra stuff will add much to the shipping.

So I guess I'm asking... anyone interested in getting anything? Yomi is pretty awesome, and you don't NEED to get the massive $100USD version, can just get a couple of card decks for like $25USD. It's a really cool game, and you can try it out free online as mentioned in the interview above.

As for puzzle strike... think puzzle fighter as a board game. Graeme? Sounds like a pretty awesome game for you guys :)

Take a look around on his webstore
http://www.sirlingames.com/collections/yomi
http://www.sirlingames.com/collections/puzzle-strike

karizzma

How much just for the Yomi deluxe + shipping?

LN

Depends how many other ppl want to get in I guess... yomi deluxe is $100USD and shipping is $40 split amongst us all... so $120USD if it's just us I guess.

Flash

i might be keen for both can i let you know by 20th of jan or is that too late

****Up or i'll scratch yo face with my stubby little arms!

LN

hrm, it probably is a little bit too late, but might be ok.

There's actually a review of Puzzle Strike by the same guy, and he's not quite so kind about it, so I'll probably actually just get Yomi.

Flash

actually i don't need 1 yet i might wait and see if the price comes down later.

****Up or i'll scratch yo face with my stubby little arms!