• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

My 'finished' arcade cabinet

Started by fluxcore, December 10, 2008, 09:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

Features:
Core2Duo 2.66ghz/nvidia 9600GT
Xbox 360 pro 60gb
22" 1080p widescreen lcd
Seimitsu arcade sticks/buttons
Logitech z560 speakers (10" subwoofer in the cabinet)

I also drop some rock band drums in front of it to hit :)

Couple of really impressed responses on SRK when I posted it, kind of surprised to be honest, but I guess I'm just to used to it by now :D
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

gunsmoke

Quote from: fluxcore on December 10, 2008, 09:28:23 AM

Features:
Core2Duo 2.66ghz/nvidia 9600GT
Xbox 360 pro 60gb
22" 1080p widescreen lcd
Seimitsu arcade sticks/buttons
Logitech z560 speakers (10" subwoofer in the cabinet)

I also drop some rock band drums in front of it to hit :)

Couple of really impressed responses on SRK when I posted it, kind of surprised to be honest, but I guess I'm just to used to it by now :D

:o :o :o wow coooooolllllllllllll
intrested of selling? ;D ;D ;D
LiFe iS gOoD wHeN u WaNa Be!

stereomonkey

Gee, FINALLY get to see it in all it's glory.

Really cool Alan!  ;)
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

JoeKage

Mean mean mean. That cabinet is way kool. Great job  ;D :o
Sage of the 6 Paths

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE]iRONSoL

pringles

Orochi

Pretty awesome...

EXCEPT FOR THE SHITTY GAME LOL

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

The picture fully isnt loading anymore.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE]iRONSoL

pringles

gunsmoke

LiFe iS gOoD wHeN u WaNa Be!

pax_bisonica

That is sweet work there flux - did you modify an existing cab or build from scratch?  Kudos for the GITS stickers on the top mylar  ;D
All who oppose me will be destroyed.  Maybe.

fluxcore

Quote from: pax_bisonica on December 19, 2008, 06:39:45 PM
That is sweet work there flux - did you modify an existing cab or build from scratch?  Kudos for the GITS stickers on the top mylar  ;D

Cheers, love me some GITS :) Solid State Society 2xdvd in jb hifi for $15 at the mo :)

I bought a cab for $20 and did it up. I wish I still had the photo from the auction, because the thing was a piece of shit! It had this hilariously disgusting orange and yellow veneer, tons of water damaged wood, and a completely unusable control panel. I had to put a lot of work in to get it to where it is today :)

The door where the coin mechanism would be is the weirdest bit, because the cabinet itself isn't just a huge box like you'd expect. It has cut-out sections on each side of the coin mech door, and the front wall is angled. Makes it really annoying to fit things in there! That's why the xbox 360 is in one of the cutouts, because it doesn't really fit in the cab itself easily.

Lot of fun (and annoyance, I suppose) problem solving the way I had to tackle all the oddities of this cab. Worth it in the end though!

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Farrkkkkkk!!!! How much all this shit cost bro? I want a cuple of them!!
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

fluxcore

With all the parts, quite a lot. Computer was ~800, xbox was ~400, speakers were ~500 back in the day, monitor was ~300. Sticks/buttons were ~90, hackable pcbs for the 360 (luckily compatible with PC) were ~100. Of course, you need all those bits anyway, and I already had them so it didn't really factor it.

As mentioned, I got the cabinet for $20, but probably spent 50-100 (and a lot of time) on doing it up.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably start from scratch with one of those vewlix style builds that people are doing these days, they suit an LCD quite a bit better.

BTW there are a few reasons why I have the monitor like it is, one being that since I like playing rock band drums I wanted to be able to tilt the monitor downwards to a better viewing angle. It actually works really well.

The bit I'm probably happiest with is the control panel - it's secured by some luggage latches inside, and uses removable hinges at the top edge. You can unlatch it and completely remove it, allowing easy maintenance :)