• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

MVC2 Auckland. Ranked Trial Season.

Started by [NIUE] BIRRY WONG, February 18, 2009, 07:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Copied From The MVC2 Topic

Quote from: ILL_BILL on February 12, 2009, 11:56:42 AM
Basically, for our tournaments, everyone plays everyone ONCE, and the finals are the people with the most wins etc. (For all intents and purposes, lets say Win = 1 point Loss = 0 points)

I was thinking about using a similar draw for games played at yifans.

Obviously, we would all be playing multiple games at yifans, and obviously, some people would play more than others.

SEASON SCENARIO

Scenario 1:
Lets say that in one "season" i play 10 games against simon at yifans. When i play them doesnt matter, as long as they are played and the wins/losses are recorded. Lets say Simon wins 6, and i win 4 (Yes, i know im dreaming) Because simon has won more than half our games, he gets the "win" point on the draw. Just like if he had beaten me in one of our tournaments.

It would be similar with everyone else. Also, by using this method, it doesnt matter if youve played 100 games, or just 1, we are still able to sort out where we stand regardless.

Scenario 2:
Richard and i play 10 games, and each of us wins 5. Come playoff day, we simply play one more match to sort our pre-playoff ranking out.

Scenario 3:
Lets say i never go to yifans, but i have signed up for the whole ranking thing, and i decide to rock up on playoff day. I would play one match against everyone to see where i stand. Easy. Time consuming on the day, but simple enough.

Similarly, lets say i played 10 matches against everyone except Ryan (who i hadn't played any) and so my spot relative to everyone else was fine. Playoff day + one match against ryan = my spot relative to Ryan sorted.

PLAYOFF SCENARIO

Pre-Playoffs (After overall rankings have been sorted)
Similar to the tournament finals, most wins = highest spot on the table.

Im going to use the results from our last tournament as an example.

1. Alan (Kururu)
2. Mike (imagneto)
3. Joe (Joekage)
4. Ryan (ryan)
5  Sol (iRONsoL)
6. Dave (AD)
7. Richard (Samurai black)
8. Ben (Gunsmoke)
9. Bill (ILL_BILL)
10. Hiroshi (JMC)
11. Johno (HCO)
12. Steve

So, this would mean that throughout the season, Alan had the most "wins/points" against everyone else, (Remember Scenario 1 is what results in what i am calling a "win/point") and Steve had the least.

Playoffs:

Simple. #1 plays #2 for first and second, #3 plays #4 for 3rd and 4th etc etc. We could play one match for each, or best of 3, whatever.

After all this, we have an overall ranking for the season for everyone, that is relatively accurate, regardless of whether they have played 100000 games or 10 games. The only real trouble i can see at this stage is getting people to actually remember who they played/won against.

Its pretty difficult to explain via internet, and im shit at explaining stuff anyway, plus its very much a trial idea atm, but by all means flame me, and ask questions.

Due to support from the masses. (Dave and Ben) Im gonna start getting this shit sorted.

At this stage im just requesting that everyone playing MVC2 in Auckland TRYS to remember the outcome of their matches, and then post them here. No Bullshit either guys. If both partys dont agree, then im not counting them. (Within Reason) And if its not posted here, in this topic, then im not counting them.

These are the people that i have signed up for it already (without asking):

Alan (Kururu)
Mike (imagneto)
Joe (Joekage)
Ryan (ryan)
Sol (iRONsoL)
Dave (AD)
Richard (Samurai black)
Ben (Gunsmoke)
Bill (ILL_BILL)
Hiroshi (JMC)
Simon (ABC_SMN)
Doug (whatever his username was. I think it was hopesgone)
Hue (Cr4zyk1ll3r)

If youre new, and want to be added, then tell me, and you will be. Likewise, if you DONT want to take part and i have put your name on the list, im happy to pull you off of it.

Also, we need to sort out a date for the "playoffs" Sometime in June should give everyone time to clear their schedules.

Post up your results guys. I drew up a quick draw in Excel this morning. All the wins i have counted will be shown on this draw. If the square is green, It means youve won more than half your matches against the corresponding person. The number in the square will show exactly how many you have WON. You'll understand it better when we start using it. I promise.

HOW THE DRAW WORKS:

Now that we have some matches on here, i can explain it a bit better. See the numbers in the squares below? This is how many wins youve got. If you have more wins than the other person, you get a 'Green square' One green square = one point. The more points you have, the higher your ranking will be. Simple. Blue and red squares are both worth nothing.

<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Anything you need/want from me to help out with, website wise or whatever, just sing out. Good to see people trying to get shit cranking!
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

samurai black

so basically, whenever we have a game at yifans we'd have to specify if were just playing for fun, or 'serious' for rankings, yeah?

i think i can work with that.

[NIUE]iRONSoL

Quote from: samurai black on February 19, 2009, 11:13:22 AM
so basically, whenever we have a game at yifans we'd have to specify if were just playing for fun, or 'serious' for rankings, yeah?

i think i can work with that.

sweet, cause im always SERIOUS! >:(
pringles

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

I was thinking about just keeping track of everything, but if you guys would prefer to differentiate between what is 'serious' and what isnt, then we can do that.

I just think of it like sol. Im ALWAYS serious.:P

<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

gunsmoke

LiFe iS gOoD wHeN u WaNa Be!

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

or how about to make it less hassle, we just nominate one day a week as the official ranking day, so that all the games played on that day are 'serious'

that way we dont have to remember every single match and its way easier....kinda thing

just a thought ;D

im never serious......I GET CEREAL
The New Generation Clockw0rk

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: AD on February 20, 2009, 01:41:57 PM
or how about to make it less hassle, we just nominate one day a week as the official ranking day, so that all the games played on that day are 'serious'

that way we dont have to remember every single match and its way easier....kinda thing

just a thought ;D

im never serious......I GET CEREAL

That would essentially take us back to the issue of people not being able to turn up, and the whole point of this is to get our random casuals more competitive. But i get what your concerns are. Theyre mine as well.

I reckon we just try and remember what we can. That includes ALL matches UNLESS someone SPECIFICALLY SAYS that they dont want it to count. (Obviously if someone decides to try their team shoto against someone playing santhrax, theyre not gonna want to count that)

If you really REALLY want, then just txt me results as they happen. (Lets say david, you txt me "3 wins 2 losses mike" Ill take that to mean you won 3 matches against mike and lost 2.) You dont have to do this, its just an idea. I realise that could become a pain in the ass, and i dont particularly want to be getting a constant stream of messages on active days. Lets call this an ABSOLUTE last resort, in case this whole thing isnt working.

I would however, REALLY appreciate on days where there are a decent amount of us (lets say, 5+) That SOMEONE make an effort to keep track of everything. I don't mind doing it when im there, but when im not, it would be massively helpful.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

aww nah i mean like, whoevers there on the day is there and whoevers not is not...

so we arent held up waiting on people, because we can't all always make it....

but yeah if theres 4+ people playing then i reckon it should start up on that day or thing....i duno something....its confusing i jus wanna play
The New Generation Clockw0rk

gunsmoke

i played today on CPU..u should rank me...i use WOL/WOL/Gambit... ::) ::)

gunsmoke

Quote from: AD on February 20, 2009, 07:57:32 PM
aww nah i mean like, whoevers there on the day is there and whoevers not is not...

but yeah if theres 4+ people playing then i reckon it should start up on that day or thing....i duno something....its confusing i jus wanna play

At least v keep mvc2 alive in present whoeva show up at yifan reprt to Bill....keep u up 2 date as well once after 6 month whoeva never show up wanna get da crown of ranking u can join da casual tourney to make urself 2 b in da title.... ::) ::) ::)

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: AD on February 20, 2009, 07:57:32 PM

It's less confusing than you think. Once it starts up everyone will get it i reckon.

If you just want to play then just play. The only thing you have to do is remember the results. If you do, great, if you dont, its no big deal.

The thing about this system is its casual and easy. Its made to promote competition but be relatively stress free for everyone that isnt me. Plus were only trialling it at this point. If it turns out to be a shitbox waste of time, it doesnt matter. If it works out OK, we can iron out the kinks for the June-December season.

As for people who dont show up much/at all. All they have to do is show up ONCE every 6 months. This won't happen, as we all rock up to yifans pretty frequently. But worst case scenario, show up for the playoffs, play one game against everyone and youre sorted.

If we plan 6 months ahead, then we can all make time for AT LEAST that, but we wont have to.

Just play. Chuck your results up here, and ill sort out all the hard stuff.(even rough estimates are fine, as long as both parties agree)
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

As I say, if this takes off and you want to do something like integrate it into the site, I'm keen :)
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: fluxcore on February 21, 2009, 10:38:31 AM
As I say, if this takes off and you want to do something like integrate it into the site, I'm keen :)

For sure. Im interested to see how well it works/if it works at all.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

gunsmoke

Quote from: fluxcore on February 21, 2009, 10:38:31 AM

Hellya...do it on every figthing game that New Zealander moslty play.....
And create those batches like shoryuken... ::) ::) ::)