• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

RVB Street Fighter 4 Registration

Started by zos'la, February 27, 2009, 04:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunsmoke

Quote from: fluxcore on March 02, 2009, 10:42:39 AM
Some weird rules in that list, but hey, not my tournament I guess.

- Don't see the point in banning Gouken/Seth, so far I don't see either of them as THAT broken. Seth maybe.

- No character switching? What's the point in that? I'm guessing so people don't sit on the select screen waiting to counter pick, but that's what double blind exists for.

- "The player who survives the entire bracket without losing a match will be crowned the winner." Actually, this doesn't make sense as the conclusion of dbl elim, what if the winner of losers beats the winner of winners? There's no winner?

Don't take this as an attack, it's great to have tournies running, good work.

Maybe this is da 1st time they run the new tournament  ::) 
Not like regular MVC2 tournament :P...
Oh well is gonna be intresting...lets see who own da crown  ;D
LiFe iS gOoD wHeN u WaNa Be!

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: fluxcore on March 02, 2009, 10:42:39 AM
Some weird rules in that list, but hey, not my tournament I guess.

- Don't see the point in banning Gouken/Seth, so far I don't see either of them as THAT broken. Seth maybe.

- No character switching? What's the point in that? I'm guessing so people don't sit on the select screen waiting to counter pick, but that's what double blind exists for.

- "The player who survives the entire bracket without losing a match will be crowned the winner." Actually, this doesn't make sense as the conclusion of dbl elim, what if the winner of losers beats the winner of winners? There's no winner?

Don't take this as an attack, it's great to have tournies running, good work.

Gouken/Seth are pretty strong. I personally dont mind either way. Fact of the matter is, theyre no stronger than friggin Sagat >_>

"No Character switching" has its ups and downs i guess. Might need peoples opinions on these 2 rules

Quote- "The player who survives the entire bracket without losing a match will be crowned the winner." Actually, this doesn't make sense as the conclusion of dbl elim, what if the winner of losers beats the winner of winners? There's no winner?

This is an elaborate way of describing a standard knockout tournament. If you dont lose, you dont get knocked out, therefore you win. I dont think the 'winner of the losers' fighting the 'winner of the winners' has been considered. Probably means the two of them wont fight, so there wouldnt be a losers bracket at all. Thats how i read it anyway.

And Ben/Gunsmoke needs to register himself, since he seems to have forgotten.

Im also going to ask that you register Richard/Samurai Black, and ill fill him in on the details.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Dbl elim without a loser's bracket?
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: fluxcore on March 02, 2009, 11:23:02 AM
Dbl elim without a loser's bracket?

I know what youre thinking. And i agree. I reckon we see what kinda turnout we're getting, and we can modify it as we see fit. Should be a losers bracket though IMO. Otherwise, if you lose in the first round, you only get 1 game + the pre-tourney casuals.

I may have misread though.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

zos'la

OKOK this is my first time helping organizing tourny, thats why i said comments are welcomed. and THANKS to you guys on picking up on the errors :)

No this won't be just a knock out tourny, i'll remove the rule for the player who wins all matches is crown winner.

Seth/Gouken are over powered from my opinion... if you notice all other tourny they have either eliminated all unlockable chars or the two i have mentioned. I did not want to take away the other character choice such as cammy, fei long etc as I know many players would like to use them.

Also the reason I put the rule for one character choice for the entire tournament is because you can counter pick and i did not want that happening. I haven't tried double blind so won't know how it works...  but I do take suggestions :)

Also as mentioned, we can include the Marvel tourny as well if we GOT the time, depending on the people turning up the tourny might get so big it will get out of hands and i might limit the spots to the first in first serve.

Please comment on any rules you guys feel unconfortable with and we can discuss and change as needed
cheers!!!
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: zosla on March 02, 2009, 11:34:58 AM
OKOK this is my first time helping organizing tourny, thats why i said comments are welcomed. and THANKS to you guys on picking up on the errors :)

No this won't be just a knock out tourny, i'll remove the rule for the player who wins all matches is crown winner.

Seth/Gouken are over powered from my opinion... if you notice all other tourny they have either eliminated all unlockable chars or the two i have mentioned. I did not want to take away the other character choice such as cammy, fei long etc as I know many players would like to use them.

Also the reason I put the rule for one character choice for the entire tournament is because you can counter pick and i did not want that happening. I haven't tried double blind so won't know how it works...  but I do take suggestions :)

Also as mentioned, we can include the Marvel tourny as well if we GOT the time, depending on the people turning up the tourny might get so big it will get out of hands and i might limit the spots to the first in first serve.

Please comment on any rules you guys feel unconfortable with and we can discuss and change as needed
cheers!!!

Seth/Gouken is your call. I can understand why they would be banned, and i think everyone will, for the most part support the decision to ban them if it goes ahead.

I figured counter-picking would be your reason for no character changes. A valid reason too. But like i said before, it might be best to see what the masses think about this.

As for marvel, i totally agree we should wait for the turnout. I just thought it would pay to put the possibility of it on the cards.

For the most part, your regulations all seem fair. I think the only errors really just bare down to some minor confusion
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

zos'la

great to hear lol...
thanks for your thoughs again, and yes the Marvel tourny will be a good add on to this as well, but as per my previous post that if will be a nightmare if this turn out too big lol...

I think the rule for one character for tourny is pretty fair for everyone, it will stop all teh bitching and such...

If you guys can think of any others please advise.

fluxcore

Personally I think counter-picking is somewhat part of the game, but of course in a 1-match only set it isn't so important. It's simpler just saying 'one char', but I think it loses some value.

Double blind goes like this: One player tells the organiser who he will pick (out of earshot of the other player). The other player picks whoever they want. Then the first player picks the character they said they would pick. This way you can't sit at the screen forever waiting for another person to pick, you don't KNOW who they picked, but you still have some mind games for char choice.

Example: I know Gino will pick Ryu, so I pick whatever char I think does best against his Ryu. However, Gino anticipates this and picks Blanka which counters my counter.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

Well lets see what the other thoughts are.
For now we stick with what we have and thanks for explaining the double blind :)

ABC_SMN

anyways...
I wont be Organising anything. I am passing it onto the Manager of RvB. Therefore Zosla could make up something with him. Also... I might not be able to come along since I will be start working FUll time next week :D
So... yeah.... Good luck guys!

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: ABC_SMN on March 02, 2009, 02:43:47 PM
anyways...
I wont be Organising anything. I am passing it onto the Manager of RvB. Therefore Zosla could make up something with him. Also... I might not be able to come along since I will be start working FUll time next week :D
So... yeah.... Good luck guys!

The reason it is so far in advance is so you can get the friggin day off. My "simon's gay" meter is in the red at this point.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Gino

Quote from: fluxcore on March 02, 2009, 12:12:02 PM
Example: I know Gino will pick Ryu, so I pick whatever char I think does best against his Ryu. However, Gino anticipates this and picks Blanka which counters my counter.

Aka ryu > all except rog.

fluxcore

[8-----D] Toots

Gouken and Seth should be playable. They aren't even top tier.