• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

NEW Tournament for SF4 Brainstorming

Started by ABC_SMN, March 23, 2009, 03:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABC_SMN

Hi guys...

Its Simon Here.. seems you guys like another Sf4 Comp. How about we think something up now.
Basically I have asked my workplace (cafe) on K' Road as well, They agree to have a Comp there. Anytime Within April to June. However we need: TV, Console, and STICK!
Renting the place out can be discuss later. Also, the place can get start going at 9am to 10pm. So we could stay there as long as you want. Food and Drink and smoking Deck are also Available. Therefore please think about it and see what can be done better.

Please gimme SOME FEEDback! Or eventhough Come over and visit the place :D

Address: 453 K' Road, Auckland City.

fluxcore

The nice thing about RvB is that they have all the tvs there - if we wanted to run multiple matches at once, or more than one game at a time, it's much more plausible to do it at RvB than some other place where we have to bring a bunch of tvs.

I'm not rubbishing the idea, just pointing out a downside.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

HoneyBadger

If it's PS3 I know we'd have no problem aquiring decent sticks and I'd be happy to lend my console for the event. I could possibly bring my CRT for marvel too if people want. Depending on the costs we could possibly get some cooler prizes too :3
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

Lennysaurus

Personally I think the key to cooler prizes is to get buy in from sponsors.

I reckon we should start looking at putting ogether a promo package and pushing it to potential sponsors.  I used to work in a bar and nknow that there are alot of companies that will turn up and hand out free shit if they think it will be good advertising.

In my personal opinion I think we should just keep the next one low key again.  And show that we can get the numbers.  That way we can go to sponsors and say "We have 2 succesful examples that show we can run a succesful event on our own.  With you as a sponsor we could do even better".  We could look at maybe JB Hifi or EB Games.  Maybe even Mightyape?  They could sponsor prizes as well as give us awesome advertising.

My personal worry is that we aren't gonna get new blood into the tourney.  Some of those new guys that turned up got raped pretty hard, and I hope that doesn't force them to give up.  I know Im not the best player in the scene but I am trying to encourage some of the guys on GPFoums to play me online at night and giving them little tips to up thier game and start thinking about thier street fighter at the next level to get them hooked.  This got me thinking of another idea.  Is there a way we could maybe run like a street fighter blowout session at RVB before the next tourney?  Like a way to get people down there not for a tourney but a kind of meet the pro's and learn kind of thingy?  Get a whole bunch of Rad dudes down there to show peeps how to bring thier game up?

Flux, you have contacts with the guys in Ozhadou dont you?  Any chance they can give us tips on growing the scene like they have?  Cause they have some pretty hype shit going on with ranbats and all.  What about bunkei?  He wanna tell some americans bout how we're trying to turn fuck all into something primo? 

Also lets try and get hooked into Xlan?  Fuckin virtua fighter 5 bullshit needs to get the fuck outta there!  Xlan would get us alot of exposure and some more good advertising.  And dont even get me started on motherfucking Armageddon!  Whoever teh pussies are that are organising that bullshit tourney in welly (no sticks... pads only) should be face raped so that we can step in and run it properly.

hmm... ill post more when I get home.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

HoneyBadger

Leo the business man! /bow
I can possibly get us into the xlan scene and BBS in Auckland at least. I also think the blowout session would be a good idea. I know I used to be discouraged from trying to play fighters with the pros, but all of you guys have been helpful and I'm really starting to step up my game now :3

Edit: Xlan would have to wait for next year as they already have everything organized
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: Smoofikith on March 23, 2009, 04:09:00 PM
Leo the business man! /bow
I can possibly get us into the xlan scene and BBS in Auckland at least. I also think the blowout session would be a good idea. I know I used to be discouraged from trying to play fighters with the pros, but all of you guys have been helpful and I'm really starting to step up my game now :3
Did u say Xlan ? Lol That is something really BIG, they can even sponsor us to go oversea. I don't think they will say "yes" but we can try/beg. ;D

I think that we should run SF4 tourny once every 2 months. It would be great for everyone to meet each other, sharing skills,etc... and everyone has sometime to practice for the next tourny also.

However, I'm seriously think we need 2 consoles next time. I believe everyone has played about 5 games for the whole tournament and we had to wait for more than 5 hours. average 1 hour/game. It would be better if we have 1 extra console for 2 hours to do all the elimination and loser bracket. Then focus on 1 console at the Semi-final  & Final. The tourny will only take about 3-4 hours in the end.

[8-----D] Toots

Tourney at cafe sounds fine and dandy. I can provide two sticks, ps3, game and lcd tv. Just be nice to my new stick OK. Mid April would be awesome.

What about a ranbat season at Yifans??? I'm very keen on this

Lennysaurus

We dont actually have to ask them to send people overseas.  We could just ask them for some space to run a SF4 tourney there.   Im sure it would draw people in, and there might be people interested in watching and joining in between their games.  Even having them advertise might be good.  Have to think it out more cause I guess having a tourney the same day as them could be bad cause it might steal our player base.

I also think that we should hook into OZHADOU and use the rules that they use to run thier tournaments.  That way we can look at sending someone over there into thier tournament.  They might even be able to help hook something up.

I honestly think that 2 months is too soon for another tournament though, as the newer guys wont have as much time to bridge the skill gap.  I reckon they will feel like they are just paying money to turn up and get raped.  Thats why I thought of the blowout session.  It accomplished three things which I think are key to growing and maintaining the community.

1. It is a positive and effective way to share knowledge through out the community, and lets learners learn some new skills.  Some of those new guys had potential provided they shirk their bad habits, and get some fundamentals down.

2. It brings us all together like the tournament did.  Good for the community seeing all the old faces and new and getting to know each other.

3. We use it to build hype for the tourney.  Make some phat anouncements thatll get people jizzing.  David Farriers has sent an email saying he wants to do a peice on us, this would be a pretty cool thing to show that we have going, and we can anounce the upcoming tourney... how fucking badass would that be anouncing a fucking tourney on either live TV or through the fucking newspaper.

Will

Quote from: Lennysaurus on March 23, 2009, 04:01:20 PM
Also lets try and get hooked into Xlan?  Fuckin virtua fighter 5 bullshit needs to get the fuck outta there!  Xlan would get us alot of exposure and some more good advertising.  And dont even get me started on motherfucking Armageddon!  Whoever teh pussies are that are organising that bullshit tourney in welly (no sticks... pads only) should be face raped so that we can step in and run it properly.

Hey man

I can tell you that if you ask the XLAN people to run a comp during XLAN they would be glad to, since there has been other touneys with piss poor turnout that have gone ahead at XLAN before. You guys will have to run it like you did in the weekend and most likely run it on 360 since they have microsoft as a sponsor etc, they could offer microsoft prizes aswell (maybe).

Also the thing about the "training" session before the next comp, im down for it, would be cool to learn from the good players. Coming from the FPS community on 360 as a top player into the fighting game community is pretty hard gotta learn all the basics then work my way up, would be easier with help from you guys.  ;D

Theres a scrubs input on the matter :D Also agree that its BS that VF5 was chosen for WCG this year
Learning....

fluxcore

Considering that over on gpforums Stimpy specifically asked if we wanted to do a SF4 tourney for xlan, I think chances are high we might be able to do it...

I have a massive migraine atm so can't really think/write in detail, maybe tomorrow I'll be able to cogitate on the matter some. But fuck, don't wait for me, if anyone thinks things could be a go, set things in motion as early as possible! I'll help anything anytime!
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Gino

I am keen for something at xlan.
Last time when me and alan went, we spent the whole time playing ssf2t (I sorta broke the only stick that worked with mvc2...). We had a number of people watching us and in the end I set up a sign that said "challengers welcome!" and we had a few games with random.
So i'm all for going to xlan for that again :D

I think the cafe is good as long as we can get 3 or 4 tv's setup so we don't have much downtime for players. I think RVB was a great venue and the guys there where really cool letting us setup shit.
That said, If you wan't to organize another tournament I won't really care where it is :D I'm come up for some more practice.
SHORYUKEN!

Will

I started a thread over in the XLAN fourms about a possible SF4 tourney:

http://www.xlan.co.nz/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=63904#63904

There it is, TMdude is one of the main organizers of XLAN, like he said if you want a tourn a XLAN you will have to show interest. So just sign up to the site a post in that thread so he knows there is a good push for a tourn like this. Im sure if we get 15-20 people it would go ahead, keep in mind that it could be a lower turnout since the price for entry to XLAN is $85. Hope it happens!
Learning....

Hydro

Quote from: Lennysaurus on March 23, 2009, 06:45:20 PM

I honestly think that 2 months is too soon for another tournament though, as the newer guys wont have as much time to bridge the skill gap.  I reckon they will feel like they are just paying money to turn up and get raped.  Thats why I thought of the blowout session.  It accomplished three things which I think are key to growing and maintaining the community.

1. It is a positive and effective way to share knowledge through out the community, and lets learners learn some new skills.  Some of those new guys had potential provided they shirk their bad habits, and get some fundamentals down.

2. It brings us all together like the tournament did.  Good for the community seeing all the old faces and new and getting to know each other.

3. We use it to build hype for the tourney.  Make some phat anouncements thatll get people jizzing.  David Farriers has sent an email saying he wants to do a peice on us, this would be a pretty cool thing to show that we have going, and we can anounce the upcoming tourney... how fucking badass would that be anouncing a fucking tourney on either live TV or through the fucking newspaper.

I really like the idea of having regular 'Grinder' matches in the weeks leading up to a tourney. Heck, I'd be happy to hold a session every weekend or so at my place in manukau if people were interested.

The only bad thing about using a tourney to promote a scene is that it does push Hardcore vs casual players. I mean, ideally we'd like to have a thriving competitive scene, both casually (At Yifans, TZ, my house etc) and hardcore (like this weekends past tourney). But steps need to be taken by our current players to ensure the scene stays healthy, this means attitiude towards new(er) or less experienced players NEEDS to change.

Personally, I fell there are some of us who blatantly disregard the potential in these players to help build a thriving competitive scene. I have taken measures whenever I've been at Yifans and now online to encourage those willing to take a chance on the game to stick with it, rather than 'Raping' them hard just to get another win under my belt.

So, in short I suggest we promote tourneys with a number of blowout/grinder casual matches leading up to the event. This will supliment our budding casual and newer players and move them to evolve towards the hardcore, and will give our hardcore players opportunities to play in a way that would encourage the higher standard of our competitive scene.

Simon (Crazymobius) and I have long pondered an ongoing (albeit Annual) Evo style tourney, but we have a long way to go until the scene can sustain a event of such magnitiude. I'm happy to do whatever it takes to get the scene to this point, like I said, including hosting casuals regularly to get our player meet-ups happening, and even starting an advice thread somewhere here on particular characters (SFIV) should demand be there for it.

Lennysaurus

Yeah I am a very strong advocate of getting together on the regular to promote the game.  Particularly getting ou new guys up there.  I dont think we should have it at our houses though for a couple of reasons:

1. Some of these people we wont have meet before, so it might be a bit daunting expecting them to roll to a persons house.  Might be better to have a neutral spot somewhere, particularly one with good parking.

2. Thats your home my brudda.  And we dont know all these peeps either.  Get togethers are all good when we all know each other, but I would feel stink if we did something like a grinder and some dude was casing your pad while we do it.

If we can get a hall or something, and hire it for a few hours this would be a good option.  If someone can look into it, and get some prices maybe we could get everyone to chip in 5 bucks to hire the hall, fuck if it aint too much ill even try and drop a hundy or two on it to get it going.  We could look at doing this monthly?  And maybe using it to run ranbats as well?  Ranbats would b good as it lets us be competitive, but at the same time it doesn't bring the cut-throat/win-or-die attitude that you need for tourney's.

Would be a good chance for the MVC2 guys to run thier ranbats and stuff as well, cause to b honest that game is pretty popular atm as well.

Remember if we want phat prizes we need a phat community.

In the last couple of days I have been hearing from old tekken buddies and other friends that they are interested in getting into it, but dont want to turn up to receive a raping.  I honestly believe that this will be the key to growing the community, is getting these casual guys into the meta game.  The meta game is what will get them hooked.

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

i reckon rvb would be the best place for the grind sessions....

they got tvs, sf4, 360....just take your own sticks cos im sure they'd be all good with it

its neutral, has ok parking.....and they gots BEERZ

and its like 5 minute walk from white house.......gangsta 8)

but yeah, we do need to get new people into it and not scare them away with mega rape laaaa

maybe sort out a day in the next month or 2 for one of these sessions to see how it goes.....?

and yeah, we needs a better tv for teh marvels....... ???
The New Generation Clockw0rk