• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

Street Fighter 4 Auckland 2nd Tournament 2009

Started by zos'la, March 30, 2009, 06:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: zosla on June 12, 2009, 10:25:49 AM
if you take my words that way, its fine by me.Stating from my words of having it at home is that you get the chance to practice more with diff chars etc, I was in no intention saying you suck blah blah blah. What I am saying is you should feel lucky to be able to have it at home unlike the few off us who don't and it WOULD be normal if you were better but in anycase it does not mean you HAVE to be better. But you can take it however you please.
I had no intention of Criticizing anyone here...

Believe me I get what you mean. I'm glad I have it at home. But I totally disagree that this should make me better. It's the level of competition you face that improves your gameplay IMO. Look at alex valle. Missed 1000 fadc's in the sbo qualifiers, but he and combo still won. If it were me, I wouldve hit each and every one of those fadc's (because I'm able to practice at home), but still would have lost, because I don't have enough games with decent people.

Having the game at home and playing at yifans each develop DIFFERENT aspects of the game. Playing decent competition will improve your game considerably more than sitting in training mode all day. You can master every combo in the game, but it doesn't mean anything if you can't win matches. And the best way to learn how to win matches is to PLAY good people. This is the point I'm trying to make, and is the reason why a lot of you guys are considerably better than me. I'm 100% right on this and I don't think anyone would argue.

I just found your point wasn't looking at the issue from all the angles, and the way you put it was kinds condescending. I know you don't mean to be. But I'm like that. Rest assured I've got mad respect for you andy, and I'm not trying to dig at you, although I probably came across that way a bit.

Anyway sorry for the wall of txt. This is being sent from my iPhone.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: fluxcore on June 12, 2009, 12:27:30 PM
Ryu is good for fundamentals + footsies, plus he's retardedly easy to use. Pretty boring though.

Are those the words spoken by someone who cannot use Ryu ??
Just like how I say Gen/Seth/Balrog are retardedly easy to use when i have no idea how to use them :P.
You should at least prove that ur Ryu can win against decent players before saying he's too easy to use.

Gino

Quote from: Cr8zyK1LL3r on June 14, 2009, 10:19:41 PM
Ryu is good for fundamentals + footsies, plus he's retardedly easy to use. Pretty boring though.

Just like how I say Gen/Seth/Balrog are retardedly easy to use when i have no idea how to use them :P.
You should at least prove that ur Ryu can win against decent players before saying he's too easy to use.

Ok then
Happy now?

Lennysaurus

Quote from: Gino on June 14, 2009, 10:44:33 PM

Ok then
Happy now?

THATS THE MOTHERFUCKING WAITKATO CHAMP DROPPING THE KNOWLEDGE BOMBS LIKE POW!!!!!

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

stereomonkey

You obviously do NOT play anybody online.  Ryu is the character EVERYBODY uses when they are learning the fundamentals.  Seriously, first it was flowchart Ken, then the red Lariat and now finally shoryuken(fadc)ultra Ryu.  It's like the natural order to SFIV for new players.

And yeah, he is boring to watch.
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: Gino on June 14, 2009, 10:44:33 PM

Ok then
Happy now?
I wouldn't say hes retardedly easy to use, you still gotta do fadc. I reckon retardedly easy ones would be blanka and zangief.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

stereomonkey

Anti air shoryuken->ultra.  That's some easy shit to pull of there.

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Ok then
Happy now?
[/quote]
I think all the characters in sf4 are retardedly easy to use BUT it's pretty hard to be good at. Knowing how to use a character probably take about 15-30mins. But how many people can be good with it??
Knowing how to do the basic moves and win 1 or 2 games doesn't make you the top player. I know how to use Zangeif but i dont think my zangeif is as good as Kevin. Same for Simon's Abel and Cody's Akuma.
So If I wanna complain about any of them, First, I would try to master the character and beat them with that character before making my points. Otherwise it's all rubbish talk.

stereomonkey

So that means if I beat you with Ryu, Alan with Seth, Lenny with Gen, Mike with Mags, Simon with Abel and Kevin with Geif does that mean I get the right to get my point through.  Fine then.

I shall find out when I fly over in July (and maybe August if your lucky :P)

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: stereomonkey on June 14, 2009, 11:15:29 PM
So that means if I beat you with Ryu, Alan with Seth, Lenny with Gen, Mike with Mags, Simon with Abel and Kevin with Geif does that mean I get the right to get my point through.  Fine then.

I shall find out when I fly over in July (and maybe August if your lucky :P)
I will be looking forward to it ^_^ we can make it more interesting by having some money matches so that nobody is going easy on the others ^_^ I'm sure my friends are all cool with it.

stereomonkey

Flying over+Accommodation+Alcohol+Clubbing+money matches=$$$$

Will have to see 8)

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: stereomonkey on June 14, 2009, 11:27:22 PM
Flying over+Accommodation+Alcohol+Clubbing+money matches=$$$$

Will have to see 8)
Oh... Where do u live ?? And how long are u planning to stay in Auckland ?

stereomonkey

fluxcore

No.

QuoteJust like how I say Gen/Seth/Balrog are retardedly easy to use when i have no idea how to use them :P.

That would just be ignorant.

I don't need to prove anything, everyone knows Ryu is easy to use. I didn't say TOO easy to use, and maybe retardedly easy is a bit strong, but hey - I'm used to playing as Viper. Maybe *YOU* should win against some decent players with HER before saying that Ryu *ISN'T* easy to use huh?

There's no need to 'master' a character (like that's possible) to be able to say how easy they are to pick up. He wanted a suggestion for someone to use to build up footsies with, Ryu is a decent char for that. He's obviously not going to pick up Ryu and start raping everyone, that's not even the intention. And saying that a character you hardly use isn't as good as the best of yifan's main character? Please.
Put it this way. If a Sagat wins a tournament, no-one gives a shit. Same with Boxer, or Zangief, or Ryu. Why? because it happens all the time, and many people play them because their effort-to-payoff ratio is much lower than the rest of the cast.
Someone wins with Dhalsim, or Viper? Even Honda? People go 'ooh!'. They are harder to play, or have worse matchups.
If I really need to hammer this fairly obvious shit home even further, I can go on all day about game mechanic specifics if you really want.

As for boring? Yeah that's fairly obviously subjective. You've managed to stay conscious playing Ryu for this long, so clearly someone can find him interesting for a decent period of time. I don't, and I know a few other people that agree.

BTW Hue, I mean absolutely no disrespect to you or any other Ryu mainer, that was completely not my intention. You're a damned good player, there's no two ways about that.

And Stu:
You don't want to money match these guys, believe me.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

I have to agree with flux on this. I think the difference here is that most of us like seeing/doing cool shit more than winning. Everyone likes winning, but I find it considerably more fulfilling when done with a more difficult character. (exactly why I use el fuerte)

Hue primarily likes to win, so for all intents and purposes, that's why he finds ryu less boring than the rest of us. From his point of view, ryu is the LEAST boring, because he is the easiest one to use well. It's the same reason Simon took up sagat over Abel. Full credit to hue though. The way he plays is NOT boring. (elaborate combos and links are great to do and to watch, even with a simple character like ryu) I think a lot of this comes down to playstyle, and sadly, for those of us that play online, most of the ryu's we face ARE hideously boring, and 9/10 people online use ryu, which doesn't help.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.