• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

Street Fighter 4 Auckland 2nd Tournament 2009

Started by zos'la, March 30, 2009, 06:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydro

Quote from: Cr8zyK1LL3r on June 14, 2009, 11:09:09 PM

I think all the characters in sf4 are retardedly easy to use BUT it's pretty hard to be good at. Knowing how to use a character probably take about 15-30mins. But how many people can be good with it??
Knowing how to do the basic moves and win 1 or 2 games doesn't make you the top player. I know how to use Zangeif but i dont think my zangeif is as good as Kevin. Same for Simon's Abel and Cody's Akuma.
So If I wanna complain about any of them, First, I would try to master the character and beat them with that character before making my points. Otherwise it's all rubbish talk.

Hue, as always, you're missing the point completely. 'Using' in this context is not the same as 'selecting a character' Sure you can play anyone, I mean, you put your $2 in, and you highlight tht character then you press start and BAM you're playing that guy. Saying you can use anyone in this regard is not what is being implied here by the other posters, what IS being said is the learning curve to reach a competitive standard is vastly different between characters, and it'd be fairly ignorant of you not to admit that Ryu has one of if not the easiest learning curve in the game, alongside Boxer, Sagat and possibly Dictator.

I'd like to know personally what you think it takes to master a character also.

HoneyBadger

Hrmm... I really think we need to clarify the difference between the skillcap of a game and the skillcap of a character. You guys seem to be talking about completely different things =/ James, Alan and Bill seem to be talking about things with a huge execution bias (if you don't mind me calling it that) because the characters they main are very very execution based. I think this also comes back to the argument Bill and Andy had before over us having the game at home. Hue is a great player, I imagine none of us would dispute that but every time Hue plays, he is playing with $2 on the line we all know this can add up if you're playing a game as fun as SFIV. Most of the yifans players lack the resources to even begin to pick up a character as complex as Viper or Fuerte who really need to be played to a near flawless standard to get anywhere in competitive play. When Hue talks about a good player he seems to go straight to that: the person in front of the joystick. Anyone could learn the combos of a character if they sat in training mode long enough, I agree with this. I think what really makes a player shine is their ability to a) do these combos under pressure and b) be able to use a character in a different way to what you'd usually see to address the task at hand. This is one of the things I really have to give Hue credit for. Whenever I watch him play he seems to be experimenting a lot as to what can do what under certain circumstances. I'm not saying that the rest of us don't do that, I'm just saying that I think it's something Hue seems to do more than the rest of us. Every time I start a new game competitively, there's always some sort of "class hero" who takes a character or a class to the next level by doing something that no one has seen before or people just wouldn't think to use in that situation. I think this is also why I think Hue and Andy find Ryu a not so boring character, because he does have an answer to almost everything and the ability to set up plays in many situations to gain the upper hand which is no doubt due to his great fundamentals. Just my 2c on what makes a good player in any game.

I also say fuck you to paragraphs.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

fluxcore

Yep, that's absolutely not what the original point was about though.

In fact, it's almost begging the question. The problem was player x doesn't have good spacing and footsies/fundamentals. Ryu is a good char to learn these with. He's also easy to pick up.

To then go and assume you are some kickass player like Hue and that you could pick any char and eventually be awesome is completely irrelevant, that's not what the problem was at all, and in fact is a completely unhelpful suggestion.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

HoneyBadger

I just wanted to jump on the bandwagon to clarify things. It just seemed like the direction some people were heading =P

MUMMYHALA

Lennysaurus

I disagree with all of you. 

Gen is clearly the ultimate character, and because I play Gen I am by far the best player to have ever graced the planet earth.

Even if you beat me it does not count, cause I am the best.  If I dont win the tournament coming up I am still the champion. 

Wild man eating grizzly bears do my bidding as my personal bear/pet/slaves because I main Gen.

When I started maining Gen, my penis grew 6 extra inches.

At our next event I shall let each of you kiss the mighty ring finger of the Gen player.

This post does not miss the point of this argument, purely based on the fact that I main Gen, and therefore never miss any points.

You may all now stop this argument, because I said so, and because I main Gen.

I didnt actually post this post.  Through the pure awesomeness of maining Gen I have attained telepathic control over the internet, and this post manifested itself inside the forums without me having to be near a computer.

That is all.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

Hydro

Quote from: Smoofikith on June 15, 2009, 10:28:09 AM
Hrmm... I really think we need to clarify the difference between the skillcap of a game and the skillcap of a character. You guys seem to be talking about completely different things =/ James, Alan and Bill seem to be talking about things with a huge execution bias (if you don't mind me calling it that) because the characters they main are very very execution based. I think this also comes back to the argument Bill and Andy had before over us having the game at home. Hue is a great player, I imagine none of us would dispute that but every time Hue plays, he is playing with $2 on the line we all know this can add up if you're playing a game as fun as SFIV. Most of the yifans players lack the resources to even begin to pick up a character as complex as Viper or Fuerte who really need to be played to a near flawless standard to get anywhere in competitive play. When Hue talks about a good player he seems to go straight to that: the person in front of the joystick. Anyone could learn the combos of a character if they sat in training mode long enough, I agree with this. I think what really makes a player shine is their ability to a) do these combos under pressure and b) be able to use a character in a different way to what you'd usually see to address the task at hand. This is one of the things I really have to give Hue credit for. Whenever I watch him play he seems to be experimenting a lot as to what can do what under certain circumstances. I'm not saying that the rest of us don't do that, I'm just saying that I think it's something Hue seems to do more than the rest of us. Every time I start a new game competitively, there's always some sort of "class hero" who takes a character or a class to the next level by doing something that no one has seen before or people just wouldn't think to use in that situation. I think this is also why I think Hue and Andy find Ryu a not so boring character, because he does have an answer to almost everything and the ability to set up plays in many situations to gain the upper hand which is no doubt due to his great fundamentals. Just my 2c on what makes a good player in any game.

I also say fuck you to paragraphs.

I also hate paragraphs.

However, And I mean no offense by this, Hue plays Ryu exactly like the other Good Ryus I fight online: Rocklee68, Thayz & Elimination_  I don't think there's anything particularly innovative about the way he plays Ryu, nor do I consider him as our "Class hero", he's really just reached the most competitive level of that particular character, that's all.

I'd fully nominate Lenny or Ioane as such, as they, despite having only four months exposure to the game compared to our almost 12 months, have incredible skill/execution/diversity to their playstyles. Ioane plays an insane Ken, unlike any I have played here before (Cept for maybe Crazymobius) and Lenny has taken Gen and Gouken to exceptional levels, far beyond the general styles you see of any of the other Gen and Gouken players online. I'd say these two in particular are more suiting to pioneers of our community, even though Ioane is now is brisbane lol.

Like I said no offense to Hue, he's great and all, but for me personally it take a hell of a lot more than being really good on Ryu to make the title of Class hero.    

HoneyBadger

Yeah, I wasn't callng Hue a class hero. That was just what I thought makes a good player. I do think that Hue has some of the characteristics of a class hero and I do see him experimenting a lot

MUMMYHALA

fluxcore

Lenny, I'm finding it difficult to disagree with any of your post! ARRRGHHH!!!
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Hydro

Quote from: Smoofikith on June 15, 2009, 10:46:24 AM
Yeah, I wasn't callng Hue a class hero. That was just what I thought makes a good player. I do think that Hue has some of the characteristics of a class BULLY and I do see him Bullying a lot

Fix'd ;)

HoneyBadger

Quote from: fluxcore on June 15, 2009, 10:49:03 AM

Flux... Why are you even trying to disagree with The Gen?

MUMMYHALA

stereomonkey

Quote from: Smoofikith on June 15, 2009, 10:53:53 AM

At least Ryu is the greatest pillow fighter in the world Biatch!
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

HoneyBadger

Quote from: stereomonkey on June 15, 2009, 11:12:54 AM
Quote from: Smoofikith on June 15, 2009, 10:53:53 AM

At least Ryu is the greatest pillow fighter in the world Biatch!

Not when boxer dual wields them

MUMMYHALA

electric

Boxer is the worlds ultimate hacker

Hacking with gloves on ? 1000x street cred
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on June 15, 2009, 10:44:17 AM

Gen is clearly the ultimate character, and because I play Gen I am by far the best player to have ever graced the planet earth.

Even if you beat me it does not count, cause I am the best.  If I dont win the tournament coming up I am still the champion. 

Wild man eating grizzly bears do my bidding as my personal bear/pet/slaves because I main Gen.

At our next event I shall let each of you kiss the mighty ring finger of the Gen player.

This post does not miss the point of this argument, purely based on the fact that I main Gen, and therefore never miss any points.

I didnt actually post this post.  Through the pure awesomeness of maining Gen I have attained telepathic control over the internet, and this post manifested itself inside the forums without me having to be near a computer.

That is all.

LOL  ;D
You rat bastard leo , you made me  laugh so fuckn hard haha
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on June 15, 2009, 10:44:17 AM

That is all.

Shit, if my maths is right, youre rocking an 8 inch wang now.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.