• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

Building my own custom stick;

Started by Chuckk, April 11, 2009, 06:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckk

I decided to build a stick in Dec/Jan when I realised it would be almost impossible to get a TE, and that it was stupid expensive anyway.

However, my stick cost about the same, here are the prices;

Parts from Lizardlick, including; - $248
- 8 Sanwa OBSF 30s
- Cthulu Board
- Sanwa JLF
- Quick Disconnects

Wire - $36.44 (had to buy 100m -_-)

Wood - $20 (entire sheet of MDF)

USB Cable - $14.08 (5m)

Paint + No more Gaps - $18.46

Perspex - $23

Cable Ties - $5.98

So all up, it was $366.26 or around about.

Was it hard? No.
QD's + Cthulu = no soldering and that made it an incredibly easy process.

Pics;

Fuck Ups:
-So, Drilling the perspex was going well until it cracked around the Fierce hole. This is more or less just a looks issue as it did not compromise the strength of the perspex.

-I couldn't find screw in feet so I glued on some old computer feet, the foot got moved and the glue smeared.

-Friend and I fucked up cutting the art that sits under the perspex so you can see the mounting plate if the stick is up, HOWEVER, it is very hard to notice this and until I saw it again in that pick i had forgotten about it becuase it is black around that area and hard to see.

-I suck at sanding and could not be bothered to make it perfect, as you can probably understand I just wanted to use it ASAP.

Positives:

It plays perfect, and it feels great to have built my own. I like that I can change the art and colours of the buttons and stick with minimum hassle because of QD's and easily changable art by replacing the paper underneath the perspex

Also, it works on my PS3 and PC with no hassle what so ever.

Would I do it again?

Yeah, why not. It was fun and I like the end result, but if I could order a TE stick I would have just done that.

Anyway let me know what you think, horrible, ugly, good etc, constructive criticism is nice though.

RAP GAME MIKE MYERS

"It's only the 360 version that is late.  PS3 version will ship on time."

-Lenny

stereomonkey

Nice work on your stick bro. ;) You make me want to build my own one.

I've heard rumors that there might not be enough TE sticks for this April shipment.  If I get another "sorry, out of stock" emails again I'm going to cancel my order and build my own.

Also, thumbs up for Fluro Pink/Purple Bison :D  The only way Bison should roll!
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

fluxcore

Perspex from what I understand is a bit of a pain to work with like that - I've only worked with lexan and I'm really glad, it's basically just like working with wood! Won't crack or anything.

It is really great having your own custom stick, but yeah, not much cheaper and you make fuckups and can't be arsed spending the time fixing things because it works enough. Each new box you make gets better and better though.

Good stuff!
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Lennysaurus

Quote from: stereomonkey on April 11, 2009, 08:51:13 PM

I've heard rumors that there might not be enough TE sticks for this April shipment.  If I get another "sorry, out of stock" emails again I'm going to cancel my order and build my own.

THose motherfuckers better have me a stick or im gonna choke a bitch!

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

gunsmoke

Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on April 11, 2009, 10:13:49 PM
Quote from: stereomonkey on April 11, 2009, 08:51:13 PM

THose motherfuckers better have me a stick or im gonna choke a bitch!

lol
LiFe iS gOoD wHeN u WaNa Be!

Elixir

I really wish the Cthulhu board worked with 360s.

fluxcore

Quote from: Elixir on April 12, 2009, 07:06:14 PM
I really wish the Cthulhu board worked with 360s.

So does Toodles, and in fact everyone that doesn't work for MS's xbox peripherals division (and probably some of them do too!)

Stupid encryption chip.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

i am still working on mine, need to get my sanwa parts...
What are the prices for lexan/plexiglass?, perspex was really expensinve when i tried to get some at teh hardware store...
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Chuckk

Quote from: zosla on April 14, 2009, 10:13:46 AM
i am still working on mine, need to get my sanwa parts...
What are the prices for lexan/plexiglass?, perspex was really expensinve when i tried to get some at teh hardware store...

If you are looking for perspex, id reccomend art stores and not hardware stores, they are stupidly expensive.
RAP GAME MIKE MYERS

"It's only the 360 version that is late.  PS3 version will ship on time."

-Lenny

madaxe munkee

Does anyone know where I can get a Sanwa Balltop from in NZ?

Being able to choose the colour is important as well.
We don the blue beret. Pick up Arcus Diabolus Bolverk and put our guns on. For if there is an Assault to go Through, a Spring to be Raided, or a Bloom to be Triggered, we will be there.

We main Noel Vermillion.

B BOY DRAW2

I bliss...like the fist...of the mantis...
Those who oppose get dropped and hit the canvas.

originaljulz

How about some plexiglass for putting over custom artwork? Anywhere that you know, that would cut it all perfectly to a template, so that I wouldn't need to do any of it myself? I know of Art's Hobbies, at tek-innovations, but a NZ option would be preferable.

Paying more for shipping than the actual product is pretty lame.
HEAVEN OR HELL? DUAL ONE. LETS ROCK!

zos'la

Lenny posted a place in east tamaki in auckland which can do it around the $50 mark...
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.