• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

PSN Good Games and feedback thread.

Started by geneterror, April 27, 2009, 10:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennysaurus

Quote from: electric on July 03, 2009, 06:45:22 PM
Lenny's found a Gen pal ?! At last!

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!

Nah bro there is fuck all on Gen.  First y0ou need to learn all his normals.  Youll spend most of your time in Mantis Stance, and "borrow" moves and normals from crane stance.  So you need to get fluid in changing between his two styles.

Learn how to do a few basic combos  into his super combo as these are his damagers.  There are better ones, but just get these down before you start moving onto the harder stuff:
(Crane Stance)cr. short, (Mantis Stance) super, then ultra or DP+k.
(Mantis) cr. short, cr. jab, st. jab, jab HHS xx super, then ultra or DP+k.

Also learn how to buffer his HHS so you can build meter off it.  Basically you throw out a fast normal to "anchor" you, then drum the three punches from feirce too strong to jab, and then quickly press feirce again twice.  This will have the effect of you doing a whif standing forward, and then quickly doing feirce HHS.  Doing this over and over will build your meter fast.

Also learn how to do the roundhouse version of the DP+k.  This on hit will give you an entire EX bar, as well as do as much damage as sagats feirce tiger uppercut.

Basically with gen, you spend alot of time running away and building up meter.  Use his (Mantis)st. forward, cr. feirce to poke lots.  (Mantis) standing strong gives you heaps and heaps of blockstun to work with as well.  Throw them alot.  You have a fast jump in mantis to get you in alot when you see an opening, tick throw the fuck outta them.

Dont get cornered.  If you are cornered or grounded use EX oga to bounce out of trouble.  Gen has a little life bar, so one or two decent combos will finish him off easy.

Practice that for now.  When you get a bit more confident ill teach you more tricks.  Heres a link to my youtube account.  In it are a bunch of vids from when I first started playing Gen.  Hopefully they give you and Idea of where you want to work towards for now.

Steer clear of the Gen forums on SRk.  They arent too helpful tbh as it is jam full of shit spam.

Do you have a mic for your PS3?  Or do you have your PC neear your PS3 cause this would be way easier with some form of voice chat.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

maelgrim

Way cool, thanks for that - awesome.
I'll start practising (man just when I thought SF4 was going into the drawer to make way for BlazBlue :) )

Nope don't have a mic - but think i'll have to get one now ive found ISM.
Does the voice chat work with NAT type 3 ? (my damn modem won't do NAT 2 - thinking of replacing it).
Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

Lennysaurus

yeah itll work.

have you turned upnp on on your modem?

fluxcore

btw lenny you didn't link your youtube :P
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Lennysaurus

Lennysaurus

GGS tonight guys!!

@CrazyMobius:  Man your sim is pretty tough.  I wish we could play offline more often, cause that lag was a killer.  ANd that damn Fuerte mirror was lols!!! Against that teleport of Dhalsims, when you do it, would I have been beter off to jump back as soon as I saw it and do my crossup kick?  I kept trying to DP with Akuma, but I couldnt get that to work.

Geneterror:  My bro that Abel of yours has come along leaps and motherfucking bounmds since I last played you bro.  Your execution and mixups were alot better.  You ve worked that tornado throw into your game real good, and basically everytime Abel got in you managed to mix me up into some damage.

Only couple of things I could say for you to work on is your zoning.  I felt that your game fell apart in about sweep range.  Rather than try and work your way in with say F+forward dash or faking me a little with backdash cancelled focus attacks, you kept either jumping or rolling, which are both easy to punish on reaction.  Might wanna be a bit more patient.  If you arent comfortable about your approach into your opponent, you are better off Backdashing and taking a breathher, then work your way back in. 

THe other thing you want to work on is when you are under pressure, be it poke strings or when you are grounded.  I felt like I got alot of easy damage from crossups and stuff, I kind of got the impression that everytime I went for a crossup you were mashing throw to throw me, but instead I would get a combo.  You mioght wanna kick that habit.  It works on scrubs, but wont work against someone that knows how to place their crossups.  Also rather than mash it, just press it once as soon as they hit the ground while you are blocking.  This gives you option select, so you will break the throw if they go for it, and carry on blocking.

You also always went for EX roll when you had meter no matter what and I often threw you out of it.  Sometimes you are better off just sitting and blocking through the pressure and looking for an opening.  Just remember to counter the throw.

Oh yeah.  Learn to tech throws more.

All in all thoguh, you did waay fucking better than last time!

You learning Sak as well on the side?  Shes pretty fun aye lol

geneterror

Lenny, been too long since we played. I think if you had of hit me with one more super into Ultra with Gen you would have made baby jesus cry.

The Sakura fights were awesome bro, and I love that Gen! well played as usual.

I could definitely see some of the things you were talking happening when we were playing.
Every time I went for that EX roll out of the corner I would do it on reaction and as soon as I did it I'd be thinking "NOOOOO I'm gonna eat another throw!" haha. Same with Sakura after a knockdown when I when dash up to you then jump straight up and go for the HK. So many other people eat that j.HK on the way down, of course you wouldn't would you haha.
Thanks for the input about sweep/midrange, I can feel myself struggling there at the moment.

I don't know how many El Fuerte wakeup Ultras I ate from being impatient :'(

The mashing for throws is a bad happened I have picked up from playing online to much and trying to allow for input lag in situations when I probably don't need to, I know I gotta break that habit. Man I need to hurry up and get a mic so you can school me while we're playing. Any advice on my Bison, him and Sakura are my two alternates at the moment.

I'm a lot more comfortable with the El Fuerte and Gen matchups now though, thanks for your patience bro. Let's get these sessions at RvB going.

edit. I have to learn to tell when the throws are coming before I can tech them ya bloody bully :P
KOW 2011

Lennysaurus

Quote from: geneterror on July 04, 2009, 08:15:46 AM
Lenny, been too long since we played. I think if you had of hit me with one more super into Ultra with Gen you would have made baby jesus cry.

edit. I have to learn to tell when the throws are coming before I can tech them ya bloody bully :P

TBH bro i thought your Bison was pretty solid.  I think you might just wanna work on that mid range stuff again.  Play I magneto.  Abuse the teleport to get away a bit more, and use st.forward and st. roundhouse alot more.  Maybe throw a little more.  Oh, when you tick throw, ideally you dont want to have to walk up to do it.  Youll notice you got me once with bison with the jab, jab, walk throw string, then after that I teched every time.  What would have been better is just one jab and then throw.  That way you arent telegraphing the throw by walking up.  Just like how your abel is with the tornado throw, work that into your bison.

For  sak, learn the cr.jab, cr. feirce link.  It lets you hit confirm into her damaging combos and shit.  Abuse her focus more as it is really good.  straight jump forward is heaps better than straight jump roundhouse by the way.

Back when we used to play CVS2 I was absolutely shit at tech throwing.  I used to hate it.  The way I learned to tech throw was I spent a couple of days just fucking throwing every chance I goot.  Throw throw throw throw!  Jump online and do that.  In the end it will help you to start  recognising the situations where a throw could be coming, and your fingers will hit the throw automatically.  Thus teching the throw if it is coming, or throwing your opponent.  Just remember not to mash it, otherwise it will fuck your block and youll get comboed.  Just push the throw once.

Hope that helps bro.  regards the mic, you know that you can use any old USB mic with the PS# aye?

The other option, if you have a laptop and a normal headset, or if your PS3 is near your PC, we quite often use ventrilo to talk.  last night while we were playing I was talking to stereomonkey and toomeke while we were playing.  Thats another way to speak while playing if you have that available.

kingpiccolo

GG mike your interwebs is much better now we can actually pull together links and combos ncie dictator too.

CptMunta

Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on July 04, 2009, 08:38:38 AMThe other option, if you have a laptop and a normal headset, or if your PS3 is near your PC, we quite often use ventrilo to talk.  last night while we were playing I was talking to stereomonkey and toomeke while we were playing.  Thats another way to speak while playing if you have that available.

Hey that's a great idea. I was gonna start a PS3 skype thread but dunno home much the chat would interfere with connection. Even being able to chat would beat ps3s txt chatroom hands down. Maybe make a thread so we all use the same details and add our user names etc.
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

stereomonkey

Quote from: CptMunta on July 04, 2009, 11:04:46 AM
Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on July 04, 2009, 08:38:38 AMThe other option, if you have a laptop and a normal headset, or if your PS3 is near your PC, we quite often use ventrilo to talk.  last night while we were playing I was talking to stereomonkey and toomeke while we were playing.  Thats another way to speak while playing if you have that available.

Hey that's a great idea. I was gonna start a PS3 skype thread but dunno home much the chat would interfere with connection. Even being able to chat would beat ps3s txt chatroom hands down. Maybe make a thread so we all use the same details and add our user names etc.

Or use Lenny's Ventrilo
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

Lennysaurus

i have a vent server.  the details for it are in general chat stickied.  check it out.

Weve been using it for likee 3 weeks now

CptMunta

Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on July 04, 2009, 11:09:45 AM

i have a vent server.  the details for it are in general chat stickied.  check it out.

Weve been using it for likee 3 weeks now

Sweet as I'm hooked up now. Next time I'm on we can chat! I'll send you a PSN message if the computers nearby.
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

Cr8zyK1LL3r

CPTMunta : Sorry i couldn't play with you this afternoon. I got disconnected half way through the game and went to play some online games :D

CrazyMobius

Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on July 04, 2009, 02:51:05 AM

@CrazyMobius:  Man your sim is pretty tough.  I wish we could play offline more often, cause that lag was a killer.  ANd that damn Fuerte mirror was lols!!! Against that teleport of Dhalsims, when you do it, would I have been beter off to jump back as soon as I saw it and do my crossup kick?  I kept trying to DP with Akuma, but I couldnt get that to work.

Standing rapid jab seems to work in most cases. Yeah shame about the lag. Usually it shouldn't be an issue. I would liked to have played against your Gen some more. I never get to play against Gens and don't know the properties of his moves in this game. Those Gouken/Guile matches were the most fun for me, lag aside there were some real close calls and nice comebacks.

But man one time cracked me up. I was Sim and you were Gouken you got me with that back throw into Ultra Shin Shoryuken and as Sim was blasted upwards the lag kicked in and he didn't land for a good few seconds. Too funny!