• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

PSN Good Games and feedback thread.

Started by geneterror, April 27, 2009, 10:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydro

Quote from: zosla on July 31, 2009, 03:13:55 PM
hah you listen to him boi!!!!
it is hard to tech throw if you don't see them coming. You just have to learn it the hard way like meself :)

Correction; You can't tech throw if you don't see it coming.

Honestly Lenny's advice is the best in regards to getting your tech consisitent, that and watching your opponents patterns/strings into throw will help alot too, not many people vary it so much, so take advantage of that.

Oh and for god sakes don't mash throw to tech, it doesn't work at all consistently, try taping ONCE after each poke in the string etc, you'll find it'll help heaps.

CoffinDrop1

Thanks everyone for your advice. Im gonna give the throw some serious attention. Its funny though as I feel like a bit of a scum when I throw hard out or is that just my "hyper fighter" ethics coming into it?

Cheers all.

HoneyBadger

It's your hyper fighter ethics. Sorta like if you fall for wakeup HP dragon till you die. It's not cheap, you're just playing dumb if you get hit every time
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

fluxcore

what, fuck that, there's no 'throw shame' in hyper fighting ethics!
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Hydro

Quote from: CoffinDrop1 on July 31, 2009, 05:01:53 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. Im gonna give the throw some serious attention. Its funny though as I feel like a bit of a scum when I throw hard out or is that just my "hyper fighter" ethics coming into it?

Cheers all.

Yeah, pretty much if it's in the game, it's not cheap, Un-fun/tinny maybe, but nothing is cheap if both players can do it lol.

There's nothing in SFIV currently that is broke as say Karin's full damage throw in Alpha3 etc, so if you find yourself falling for things that appear cheap, such as lots of throws, just give yourself a little more time to learn about the system etc. It happens to everyone so don't fret on it coffinbro, I used to think Ryu's/Sagat FADC to ultra was cheap when I first saw it (Being a Claw only player at the time I had nothing near as potent as that)  But after playing the game for near on a year now it's just how it is, no big deal at all.

It was a little like that with Custom combos in A3, in the end if you were good enough you could play any 'ism', even though you didn't have access to full damage/infinite/resetable combos in X & Z ism if your fundamentals were sound, you could easily go toe to toe with anyone playing the V-ism roster.

Same goes for characters that take more damage, I hardly notice it now as Viper, and I remember that being such a big issue for me when I picked her up fulltime a few months back. Honestly if all your matches revolve around that extra 150-200 damage you can take between you winning and losing, work on that defence as.

Apologies for running off track a little, thought the tangent may serve some purpose for those contemplating the above ideas.

Chuckk

Ah Lenny, some failing on my behlaf internet wise or something my bad man.

I haven't played this game in a long ass time so I doubt i'm much challenge either, especially when I have nfi who I'm using.

Watched your matches in xlan though, that gen is a beast
RAP GAME MIKE MYERS

"It's only the 360 version that is late.  PS3 version will ship on time."

-Lenny

Skullator

Quote from: Cr8zyK1LL3r on July 31, 2009, 02:20:50 PM
Actually, i do have a way of doing tech throw. But it doesn't work 100% and it only works after i block a cross up. So I don't think it's useful anyway.
ANOTHER way to counter a throw is to do SHOOOOOOOOORYUUUUUUUKENNNNNNNNNN every 0.5s lol *fixed* :P

I love you for posting that.

Ryu's doing my head in  ;D

Ashe

thanks for the games today hydro, made me realise i dont really have any idea against vipers or vega lol.

when that ultra whiffed after the first hit i was like FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCC-

back to training i go @_@

Hydro

GGs:

Lenny: Good set my bro, always a fun fun fun challenge. Your Akuma is mad good, and those Gouken set ups and combos are a bite out of the ordinary for sure.

Ashe: VIPER MIRRRRRRORRRORROR! Always good to play you my bro, fuck those matches are fast paced, you'd blink and the damn round would be over! :) Lots of crazy shit and missed clutch ultras by both of us lol, Catch up soon my friend.

Lennysaurus

Quote from: hydrokinesis on July 31, 2009, 08:02:44 PM
GGs:

Lenny: Good set my bro, always a fun fun fun challenge. Your Akuma is mad good, and those Gouken set ups and combos are a bite out of the ordinary for sure.

Nah you dont gotta front bro I played like shit lol.   I suck hard online since I stopped playing.

Lookin forward to getting some games in tomorrow though!

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

Hydro

GGs Late last night:

Ericsonau: Man I just can't get over how much you've improved bro. Keep that Guile up. Air throws were working very well, and your footies and zonings have come leaps and bounds from where you first began. Akuma is a good choice for learning some of the fundamentals in SFIV (Or any street fighter), so it was good to see you throwing him into the mix a little more. My only critique would be to vary up your tick-throw strings, it was easy to predict cause you just did the same sequence to build to a throw, don't be afraid to mix it up, I could see myself having a lot of toruble if you implimented more of guiles poking and ground game a little more. Catch up soon.

Coffin: Always a good challenge, my fear is I'll play you in round one at the tourney and lose like I have done the first game like I have done in the last few sets we've played. It's like I need that loss to remember how to play that Viper Honda match-up. Once it clicks it's still a hard fight, just without the opportunities you had in the first game. Nice use of EX splash to stop cross-up BK, it's a great move for Honda, so don't be afraid to throw it out at the end of a poking/block string (After a slight pause) to catch players trying to jump back out of danger (normally avoiding Headbut chip damage lol). I remember being caught by that frequently when playing Matt last time down at yifans, as it gives Honda control of the pace of the match and of the air from a good distance on the screen. Other than that, and as I said above with Ericson, I'm really impressed with how well you're doing now, always improving and giving me a good run. Catch up soon too bro!

Skullator

Quote from: hydrokinesis on August 01, 2009, 06:46:17 AM
snip

CHECK YOUR PSN MESSAGE BOX FOR IMPORTANT STRATEGY TIPS!

Hydro

Thom: hmmmm, interesting strats ;) we can have a chat about stuff at the tourney I'm sure. Question: How did you fare against Kevin/Devilstar last night?

CrazyMobius

Re: Tech throws, some times you can't even stop them even when you do see them coming because of how SFIV's throw reversal system works. And you end up having the other guy thinking "wow I'm really doing some mind games." ugh.

Anyway hopefully this will be fixed with a whole lot of other things if they bring out an edit. And put all these jabroni's back in their place.

Good games last night to Ash and IMagneto. Good stuff. I'll hopefully be on tonight for those of you in this thread that actually own a PS3, hope to see you there.

Skullator

Beasted his gief 3-2 (thats with one draw game)

Down to the wire against his sim in all 4 games, I was tired and playing like a scrub due to not knowing him well and jumped onto his ultra in the final round of two games lol.

Lost to his sim 1-3, but final round and low life each time as I recall.

I never play it safe when learning how to play people any more.
Get a feel for what to dodge.
Don't be scared from the get go ;]