• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

Shout outs!!

Started by stereomonkey, May 05, 2009, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Yea. Im trying to break the slide -> throw habit TBH. The reward and options i get off of slide -> meaty c.lk/c.mk are better imo. It makes me rage because im trying to set up meaty shit but i get online'd out of it with throws. TBH, its probably not something i should bother doing online at all, since realistically, its going to work 1/10 tries, and its going to fuck up my offline timing for the same stuff.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

ggs mason ,
as isaid , its nice to play someone online with a decent connection .

fun set
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

massi4h

Yeah man ggs. Some epic Zangief ultras in there and my Rufus haha.

CaptainHook

Thanks for playing Rumble!

Still not sure if i even like this game. Lol. Doesn't feel like Street Fighter to me. Movement is all strange, things feel slow,
even the timing of jumping feels clumsy and not fluid. I seriously hate combos. Not being able to do anything for even 5 hit
combos bores me to death, let alone 20 hit combos. Haha. I don't mind ST combos cause they happen so quick. I liked ST
straight away. Instant love. So far, even playing the computer in this (which is ridiculously easy but i guess that's compared
to ST) i'm not really enjoying. I gave a couple of other characters a go to see if it's just guile i'm not liking but they all feel
awkward. I thought this would be smoother than ST with 15 years improvement on graphics etc, not less. I'll still keep sticking
it out but it might be that i'm just too old school to enjoy this. :P
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: CaptainHook on September 10, 2010, 09:42:30 PM

Still not sure if i even like this game. Lol. Doesn't feel like Street Fighter to me. Movement is all strange, things feel slow, even the timing of jumping feels clumsy and not fluid.
I seriously hate combos. Not being able to do anything for even 5 hit combos bores me to death, let alone 20 hit combos. Haha. I don't mind ST combos cause they happen
so quick. I liked ST straight away. Instant love. So far, even playing the computer in this (which is ridiculously easy but i guess that's compared to ST) i'm not really enjoying.
I gave a couple of other characters a go to see if it's just guile i'm not liking but they all feel awkward. I thought this would be smoother than ST with 15 years improvement
on graphics etc, not less. I'll still keep sticking it out but it might be that i'm just too old school to enjoy this. :P

Its not just you. I dont like it either at its core. If you watch me play i play every character balls out aggressively, which is the total opposite of how youre SUPPOSED to play the game. I play it because theres shitloads of competition for it, and coming to events, and big jams with a good group of people is fun.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

CaptainHook

Quote from: [NIUE] JUDGE BIRRY on September 10, 2010, 10:49:22 PM
Its not just you. I dont like it either at its core. If you watch me play i play every character balls out aggressively, which is the total opposite of how youre SUPPOSED to play the game. I play it because theres shitloads of competition for it, and coming to events, and big jams with a good group of people is fun.

Damn, that's not looking good then. I simply don't have time to learn something i'm not gonna enjoy fundamentally.

fluxcore

Believe me, you wouldn't be the only one finding sf4 less than perfect.

Lucky there are plenty of other fighting games around too!
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Nick4now

Still not sure if i even like this game. Lol. Doesn't feel like Street Fighter to me. Movement is all strange, things feel slow,
even the timing of jumping feels clumsy and not fluid. I seriously hate combos. Not being able to do anything for even 5 hit
combos bores me to death, let alone 20 hit combos. Haha. I don't mind ST combos cause they happen so quick. I liked ST
straight away. Instant love. So far, even playing the computer in this (which is ridiculously easy but i guess that's compared
to ST) i'm not really enjoying. I gave a couple of other characters a go to see if it's just guile i'm not liking but they all feel
awkward. I thought this would be smoother than ST with 15 years improvement on graphics etc, not less. I'll still keep sticking

You know, i used to fell exactly the same way when I first tried out SF4. I had a couple of games in Yifans back in December 08 during a Family Reunion and had the EXACT same thoughts as you did. It just didn't feel like SF for me. But when I gave it another go a year later with Redtie (because it was only $1.50 a week to hire out  ;D) we actually started to enjoy it.

Maybe you're like Redtie and I, we both mainly play ST and HF, our mains are Gief and Guile but hated how they played in SF4 so dropped them after a few games. Give it time, I'm sure it'll eventually grow on you too. Combos are actually easier to pull off and they're really fun to execute too.  :)

The Self-proclaimed Christchurch Hyper Fighting 2011 Champion

budafist

thats weird you's think that. I love SF4 beacuase it feels more like old school SF to me.
I played from World Warrior up to New challengers and totaly lost interest during the Alpha & 3S era.
when SF4 was realesed I felt like I could play it like Hyper, but with a few more bangs and whistles. and now Im back to loving the franchise again.

The motherfucken answer lies in the heart of motherfucken battle!

IR U IM B IL E

Hey no problem CaptainHook. I was going to offer some tips and stuff for your Guile but I dont know if it would help seeing as you still don't like the game.

What the heck I'll give some anyway:

- a staple punish for whiff shoryus or what not you should have down if you have the charge is cr.mp xx flash kick. i notice you're always just going for FK. only do that as a long range punish.

- precharge your sonic booms. http://nzism.alphaism.com/forum/index.php/topic,1073.0.html

- get into the habit of doing your FK's while keeping your back charge. I do this so that I can ex SB if my anti air FK trades. Or Ultra 2. Roundhouse FK tends to trade alot. Use lk FK if you dont want the trade as it has more invicibility.

- Get to know your anti air normals. cr.FP, st.FP,  st.mk (med to far). these are the main ones i use, there are more.

Thats all for now. I dont presume to be an expert on Guile but these are just some of the things that i try to keep in mind when I play.
"...there's a big difference between winging it and seeing what happens. Now let's see what happens."

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

pretty much everything thats good in hyper/st works on ssf4 with guile .
just check out some vids for some good stuff hook , and rumbles  stuff is all spot on
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

CaptainHook

Quote from: IR U IM B IL E on September 11, 2010, 10:06:38 PM
What the heck I'll give some anyway:

I'll take the advice! Thanks man. :)

- a staple punish for whiff shoryus or what not you should have down if you have the charge is cr.mp xx flash kick. i notice you're always just going for FK. only do that as a long range punish.

I actually do that alot on ST but the timing just wasn't happening for me and the mp wouldn't even come out.  ???
I since then played the cpu and found if i did it much slower than i do in ST it worked more often. Which is annoying.

- precharge your sonic booms. http://nzism.alphaism.com/forum/index.php/topic,1073.0.html

Yeah i do that. I quite often whiff sonics booms even with HEAPS of charge tho. I think i often hit the buttons before the joystick
gets all the way. Same with flash kick. The amount of times i whiff that into just a normal jump kick. LOL.

- get into the habit of doing your FK's while keeping your back charge. I do this so that I can ex SB if my anti air FK trades. Or Ultra 2. Roundhouse FK tends to trade alot. Use lk FK if you dont want the trade as it has more invicibility.

Didn't know about lk FK, is that the same for ST? I'm pretty decent at always keeping a charge. Even if i just jump i immediately
go into charge before kicking/punching/whatever.

- Get to know your anti air normals. cr.FP, st.FP,  st.mk (med to far). these are the main ones i use, there are more.

Yep, knowledge is severely lacking here. Even the little i've figured out so far for ST didn't seem to translate at all.
Plus i've found cr.FP too slow with start up (on ST) to use on reaction so i try avoid cause i get punished for it so much.

Thats all for now. I dont presume to be an expert on Guile but these are just some of the things that i try to keep in mind when I play.

Thanks, any knowledge is appreciated!

CaptainHook

GGs of HDR barnstorm!

Sorry about my scrubby other chars. LOL. Your boxer was definitely my weakness. I'm a sucker for that damn super and it
can totally turn the game around or end it, when i already find him so hard to fight! :P

zos'la

hmmm,
I started playing December 08 on SF4 in Yifan as well...
Though I did try it earlier when it first came out... I felt it was weird also and I keep getting my ass kicked by the likes of the better players (Hue and Cody) at teh time. It was not till December when they all went overseas for holiday (YAY) I had a chance to give the game a better go and I found it very much like vinilla SF2. I loved it :) been playing since then, improving my game play day by day. To me the gaphics is awesome, I like the new focus system, it was REALLY hard to get use to at start as I am not very good at execution, but after PC Vinilla SF4 came uot, I had my chance to fully learn teh fundamentals of the game.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

CaptainHook

I think the problem might be that i'm new to gaming in general, and new to fighting games so trying to learn 2 games that
are similar but with important differences might be too confusing for me in one go. May try get decent with one first, then move on.
I'd rather learn ST first but there's less people around to play..