• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

Shout outs!!

Started by stereomonkey, May 05, 2009, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zos'la

I would recommend SSF4 than ST.. lol coz I dun play it :D but also there are better competitions for SSF4 which will help a lot.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

[8-----D] Toots

Quote from: CaptainHook on September 13, 2010, 01:03:00 PM
I think the problem might be that i'm new to gaming in general, and new to fighting games so trying to learn 2 games that
are similar but with important differences might be too confusing for me in one go. May try get decent with one first, then move on.
I'd rather learn ST first but there's less people around to play..

Just play 3rd strike Hook its the best  ;D

CaptainHook

Quote from: [8-----D] Toots on September 13, 2010, 03:56:09 PM
Just play 3rd strike Hook its the best  ;D

Lol, was that the other one at Nats?
I HATED the look of that. But i also don't like the look of MVC so..
Dunno why i like the graphics of ST so much.

I have quite a narrow range of taste in a lot of things though. Very fussy.
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

[8-----D] Toots

CaptainHook

My bad..

I'm sure the gameplay is awesome, but if i don't like the look/smell of my food, i can't eat it either. :P

fluxcore

Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Yea fuck ben stop pressuring the guy.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Flash

GG's Hook

just some advice

learn option select (mainly the throw one the others might be a bit to advanced at the moment)

mainly because i could have just walked up and thrown you everytime you woke up but i didn't want to be a sad guy, it was really noticeable when i went rufus and cammy.

-don't hold the charge so much because you were literally holding charge until you hit the corner where you don't want to be. You can also stand your ground a bit more and play footsies with guile to prevent yourself from being cornered so easily, throw a lp boom and follow it up to keep the pressure on with a cr.mk into another boom (not sure i'm no guile expert).

-in the DJ matchup i was just constantly crossing you up because you were holding down back too much, i think you could have flash kicked me i'm not sure, maybe you just have to learn to block the cross up.

-use your other anti airs because i was beginning to jump in for free when you were standing because your to reliant on the flash kick and didn't use d+fierce, or the situational standing strong or DF+roundhouse, even jumping strong and roundhouse are good air to airs aswell as the air throw.

-stop the random flash kicks and super not worth the risk, save that for the bad players like me. because they are highly punishable on block, also if you do throw one out and you have 2 bars always FADC it backdash so its safe. And those supers even though a couple hit weren't worth it i don't think because they didn't connect deep enough and did little damage.

-Use more EX sonic booms especially when i was in focus happy mode just be aware that i think they have more recovery frames so watch your distance.

You can also learn how to Plink if you want to its a necessity in this game for alot of characters doesn't apply to guile as much as other characters but still really good knowledge helps to hit the cr.jab to cr.strong link more consistently then you can cancel that into boom for added pressure.

Hit up the guile thread here
http://shoryuken.com/f258/

look at the combos and strategies and stuff check out some videos then adapt it to your style of play and you will be beasting in no time.

hope this info helps you out bro don't take my advice as fact though bro i might be wrong with some of this rumble might be able to give you some more tips.

****Up or i'll scratch yo face with my stubby little arms!

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

QuoteYou can also learn how to Plink if you want to its a necessity in this game for alot of characters doesn't apply to guile as much as other characters but still really good knowledge helps to hit the cr.jab to cr.strong link more consistently then you can cancel that into boom for added pressure.

The only issue i have with your post is this nizzle. Plinking isnt a necessity at all. Its useful, but its not mandatory. Also, given that hook has only just started playing, this is something that he can learn when hes got the basics down, if he chooses to.

Similar to the option select advice. Although that tends to be a lot more important than plinking, but again its something that hook should avoid thinking about until hes more comfortable with the game.

Quote-don't hold the charge so much because you were literally holding charge until you hit the corner where you don't want to be. You can also stand your ground a bit more and play footsies with guile to prevent yourself from being cornered so easily, throw a lp boom and follow it up to keep the pressure on with a cr.mk into another boom (not sure i'm no guile expert).

-in the DJ matchup i was just constantly crossing you up because you were holding down back too much, i think you could have flash kicked me i'm not sure, maybe you just have to learn to block the cross up.

-use your other anti airs because i was beginning to jump in for free when you were standing because your to reliant on the flash kick and didn't use d+fierce, or the situational standing strong or DF+roundhouse, even jumping strong and roundhouse are good air to airs aswell as the air throw.

-stop the random flash kicks and super not worth the risk, save that for the bad players like me. because they are highly punishable on block, also if you do throw one out and you have 2 bars always FADC it backdash so its safe. And those supers even though a couple hit weren't worth it i don't think because they didn't connect deep enough and did little damage.

-Use more EX sonic booms especially when i was in focus happy mode just be aware that i think they have more recovery frames so watch your distance.

This is all valid stuff.

Hook: Remember that you can charge back while holding downback, you dont have to be walking backwards. Walking yourself into the corner is dangerous. Backing off certainly has its advantages (especially with guile) but you dont want to be giving up your ground if youre in a good position. Guile has normals that move him forward while he is holding back, this is really useful in terms of pressure.

Also, I think youre overestimating how long you need to charge for by the sounds of things. The charge time on guiles booms is deceptively short in ssf4.

Non EX flash kick is pretty balls in ssf4. Its great in ST, but in this game, its average at best.  c.hp/airthrow/j.hk are your go-to anti airs. Flash kick is ok if you have charge, as long as they arent crossing you up. (flash kick almost always loses to crossups) If you havent been knocked down, and your opponent trys to cross you up, then 9 times out of 10 your c.hp is going to hit them. Ultimately, you need to learn what normals cover what parts of the screen around guile and use them accordingly. Thats the basis of guiles defense. And dont be afraid to block. Blocking wins games. Especially in SF4.

Best bit of advice i can give you, given that youre literally BRAND NEW to this sort of shit:
Im aware youre preference is ST at this point. TBH, if you learn spacing and how to use your normals properly in ST/HDR, it will translate very well with guile over to SSF4, since that is a lot of what his game is in both games. In all honesty, if that is the game you prefer, then just concentrate on playing that until youre comfortable. THEN give SF4 a shot. Its much more fun when you have a better understanding of everything, and if you learn ST, it will help your SF4 game a lot more than SF4 will help your ST game.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

CaptainHook

Wow, lot of info there. Thanks.

Is "teching" a throw the same in ST? It reduces damage and you land on your feet? I couldn't tell if i ever did it in time.
Option select looks interesting tho.. Will look into that.

Cross ups fuck me over in ST too. Guessing which side to block is death. I'm still distracted by the graphics in SSF4 tho.
Seriously, like a possum in headlights. I'll see your characters first few frames of doing something and think "what is that?"
and before i know it i'm hit. And there's SO many chars to learn the animation of. :(

Guile's c.HP is rubbish in ST too. Only works when i can guess they're gonna jump. So for me it's not a very good anti-air
option. I assumed because people keep saying learn the normals in ST and they'll translate over this is the case in SSF4? But then
everyone keeps telling me to c.HP in SSF4 so.. confused. :P

My eyes glazed over reading "FADC it backdash so its safe" - WTF does that mean? Got some reading google action to do i guess.
"i was in focus happy mode" - is that the focus attack thing? I still don't recognize it's coming yet, it looks like the char is
gonna do some move to me before i realize "oh, its that fucking attack thing". Haha. Just need more experience to recognize
the animation in this game i think.

Same with the same spacing and normals Bill. I *think* i'm getting better with spacing and normals in ST but i have
NO idea about distance in SSF4 cause the graphics are so different, and the timing is all whack to me so knowing WHEN to even
press the button for a normal is different. So it doesn't feel like it translates at all right now.

But thanks for all the advice. :)
Even the last couple of posts is a LOT to digest.

zos'la

Um.. didn't read the walls of text, but I'll asnwer some of the questions to teh best of my knowledge.

tech throw means as soon as the other player throws you, you do teh same LP+LK, in doing so you push the thrower away and you will be back in sweeping distance, hence re-positioning yourself.

Cross up can be ambiguous depending on your opponent skill, many will look obvious and many will fuck u over. Its really a 50/50 game if your playing against a skilled player.

In SSF4, Guiles c.HP is really good, I thinkk its as good or better than sf2's Guile c.HP. but again I don't know SF2 that well either lol.

"FADC it backdash so its safe" is the new system that SF4 has, its called FOCUS ATTACK, its used to either assorb a single hit of any kind (except armor brake atks) in doing so you will have a temp HP degrade for the amount of dmg it should take, this will regenerate in time (quite fast) and in return you can use this to build you revenge bar. But if you get hit twice it will brake you FA. Also if you have HP to regenerate and get hit again, you will lose teh HP regen and also suffer teh new atk, so you're getting hit for more (kinda)
NOW, the end bit "DC" it means Dash Cancel, during a FA and you have 2 EX bars build up, you can DC out of MOST of the moves, eg: flash kick,sonic boom and many normal moves as well. So put it simple, FADC is use to make bigger combos or linking you specials with other specials or with ultra.

Spacing you will just have to get use to it... play more.

Hope I didn't scrub things out on this post lawl.

Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

fluxcore

Shit, just stick to ST for now imo. Trying to learn all this shit at the same time will probably just make you worse at both.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

IR U IM B IL E

GGs to Nick4now, III R 8 T E D R and B BOY DRAW.

Funny how when you left Nick, the room was full of Guile players.

Nick, nice Juri bro. Was hard for my Seth to be all up in your face when you're trying to do exactly the same lol. Oh and look at me thinking I got you with my Ultra2 for chip and you bust out her counter. Didn't know that worked. You utilised it pretty well throughout our matches, I just wasnt ready for it. Next time I'll try approach it like Goukens parry counter, mix things up more.

R 8 T E D R and B BOY: Guile ftw! My last few games I was being super aggressive and I saw that you B BOY had a hard time with it. Wish I coulda played on but i had to go.

GGs guys.
"...there's a big difference between winging it and seeing what happens. Now let's see what happens."

CaptainHook

Thanks for that Andy, just didn't understand this part..

Quote from: zosla on September 14, 2010, 09:03:40 AM
Also if you have HP to regenerate and get hit again, you will lose teh HP regen and also suffer teh new atk, so you're getting hit for more (kinda)

Temp HP degrade? Hard punch? Lol, what does HP mean in this context?

Quote from: fluxcore on September 14, 2010, 09:36:45 AM
Shit, just stick to ST for now imo. Trying to learn all this shit at the same time will probably just make you worse at both.

Yeah, been wondering that. Hard to not play tho when it's just sitting there and it's difficult to find people to play with on HDR/GGPO.

fluxcore

hit points... he means health

the focus system absorbs the damage (it shows on your health bar as grey). If you get hit you lose the grey damage as well, but if you don't hit it regenerates. You still die if you absorb an attack that would have killed you though.