• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

How did you get interested in Fighting Games?

Started by stereomonkey, May 28, 2009, 09:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

Final Fight was actually supposed to be the sequel to sf1, it was originally called 'Street Fighter 89'.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

electric

Ok, I first started playing Street Fighter when Hyper Fighting came out on mega drive (I think I must have been about 6 ?) -- went around to a friends place and had never heard of it before, started playing and it was crazy awesome -- the only games I'd ever played before then were Alex Kidd and Sonic the Hedgehog

Came home later on that day to pick some stuff up so I could go back and stay the night -- my brother overheard us talking about it and was like "Pick ken and do down, forward and punch" -- had no idea what he meant by that, but went back, tried it... and HOLY WHAT THE FUCK -- THAT NIGGA JUST THREW A FIREBALL. I immediately got on the phone and asked him for more... I learnt hurricane kicks, couldn't get the dragon punches, and sonic booms. At this point I was sold

A little while later, my brother bought Super Street Fighter for Mega Drive -- we played that shit for hours and hours on end. I ended up getting decent with Ryu, but we only ever played each other.

Never much got into the Alpha series as we only really played on Mega Drive -- We hired a Saturn a couple times with I think Street Fighter EX... can't really remember now, but that was pretty gay lol

Then comes X-men vs. Street Fighter... God this game was dope. We went all the way into Auckland (from Kura ahahah) to play this because the machines at Outer Limits were always too packed.

That's about all really... used to play the crossover series on Mame, but never really took it that seriously. Heard about Street Fighter 4 and just took it from there
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

Kanae

posion and hugo are also hinte in final fight and later seen in 3s. 3s Alex also has ties to Haggar from FF.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

true, i wonder what game it was then, where ryu was created, i probably just heard it from one of my friends talking shit. oh well to lazy to look it up lol.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

xkheretic

Picked up SF4 when it came out and got a tournament stick about a month and half ago.  Time for a break from Quake and UT which has been the main games I've been playing for the last 10 years. 

gunsmoke

C'mon C'mon can't 4 d end of da MOnth.......where is daPC version.... :P :P :P
LiFe iS gOoD wHeN u WaNa Be!

samurai black

i was the meanest scrub. first learned how to play t3 on the psx. then came alot of emulation through high school, still being a gigantic scrub.

everything clicked, when i finally realised the dp and qcf motions from tekken could be applied to other games.

when i started course, after 7th form, was when i started marvel. and that was only because there were peeps from course who were scrubbing it up too. but then they stayed shit, and i got heaps better. only just started 3S the start of last year.

Kanae

Quote from: samurai black on June 05, 2009, 12:00:53 PM
only just started 3S the start of last year.

better late than never :P

Checked out your deviantart man, awesome stuff.

samurai black

Kanae

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

CoffinDrop1

It all began on a Sunday afternoon, after church, Upper Hutt in Wellington. There was an old pool hall on Fergusson Drive named Open 8 just up the road. It was an upstairs open floor warehouse style set up which had a few pool tables and arcade machines scattered around the place. The one that caught my attention was Karate Champ. That game was pure gold. 2 joysticks no buttons where it was one on one karate style play progressing through the ranks after each successive victory. I was addicted and let's just say all of a sudden I had a new enthusiam for Church on Sundays : )

Not long after that Hyper Olympics came along and I became a master of speed with an old coke or fanta bottle top. Some people preferred to use a 20c coin but that caused too much damage to the buttons lol. Dabbled a bit with Wrestlemania, Ghosts and Goblins, 1942, Slap Fight, Yie Ar Kung Fu.

I remember seeing SF1 for the first time in Naenae - they had a little spacies parlour across the road from the Naenae Pools. It seemed to be the best way to play this game was by swapping your hands over so that your left hand would control the buttons and your right hand would take care of the joystick. This way it was easier to execute continous dragon punches which was all you needed to do to clock the game. That game looked pretty cool but they didnt have it in Upper Hutt so didnt really get into it.

When SF2 was released it could be found at King Size a spaceez and burger joint across from the Upper Hutt train station. (Big ups to their Snarlers! Snarlers were  the biggest battered hot dog on a stick and smothered in that special thick tomato sauce you get in the big bottles - mmmmm the best!!!) Anyway back to SF2 this was the game to play and it quickly attracted a following from the local spacie community. Most common players picked were Ryu, Ken and Guile. I'll never forget seeing the first golden stance, invisible throw (handcuffs) and invincible stance. I remember we used to freeze the game on MBisons stage and then tell the lady at the counter that the game froze so she would give our money back lol that worked well for a while until she caught on and then there was a no refunds sign put on the game. Upper Hutt SF players were very courteous actually - seconds were always given and if a throw was executed it was common for the person who threw to allow the other person a free throw in return. Yeah we were a friendly bunch.

When Hyper came out that took it all to another level, Mortal Kombat and Fatalities blew it up to another level and then Killer Instinct. Yeah most of these games were played during my college years. Have to say with SF4 now its rekindling the SF flame just gotta make sure that my time is fairly balanced with my Family, Work and Play lol. It's pretty scary when your kids can name all the SF4 characters and that they have their own little pretend Chun Li vs Rose battles. I even heard a Tiger Destruction thrown in the other day - not sure if thats a good thing?

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

Quote from: CoffinDrop1 on June 06, 2009, 12:35:21 PM
I even heard a Tiger Destruction thrown in the other day - not sure if thats a good thing?

In bad taste i know but I couldnt help myself ........

"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

stereomonkey

"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

Chuckk

Quote from: samurai black on June 05, 2009, 04:57:54 PM
Quote from: Kanae on June 05, 2009, 03:05:55 PM
Checked out your deviantart man, awesome stuff.

ssssh man  :-[

Dude holy fucking shit that Chun-li drawing is awesome, so are the others.
I'm super impressed man.
RAP GAME MIKE MYERS

"It's only the 360 version that is late.  PS3 version will ship on time."

-Lenny