• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Sticks: Sanwa/Seimitsu?

Started by fluxcore, February 15, 2007, 04:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you have any experience with Sanwa vs Seimitsu sticks, and can offer any advice? I already know the empirical evidence (seimitsus have shorter throw, smaller deadzone, firmer springs etc), just want some actual FEEL opinion.

Personally I've only used MCAs, XArcade (HORRIBLE!!!) and Happ Competitions. Whatever they have at Yifan's I absolutely suck on, so something like that is what I want to practice with.

I'm planning on making a MAME/PS2 cab, and am trying to toss up whether to get Sanwas or Seimitsus... the seimitsus are definitely cheaper! Plus I think I like shorter throw/firmer springs, but who knows...

Cheers,
--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

i have no idea wat the difference is, but apparently the stick at yifans are similar to the ones in japan....so generally, id go with what those are......the feel similar to dc arcade sticks if that helps....

and the reason why id go with those ones is because one day im going to go to japan and school them.....yep i like to dream alot ::) :P
The New Generation Clockw0rk

stereomonkey

Quote from: fluxcore on February 15, 2007, 04:44:46 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you have any experience with Sanwa vs Seimitsu sticks, and can offer any advice? I already know the empirical evidence (seimitsus have shorter throw, smaller deadzone, firmer springs etc), just want some actual FEEL opinion.

Personally I've only used MCAs, XArcade (HORRIBLE!!!) and Happ Competitions. Whatever they have at Yifan's I absolutely suck on, so something like that is what I want to practice with.

I'm planning on making a MAME/PS2 cab, and am trying to toss up whether to get Sanwas or Seimitsus... the seimitsus are definitely cheaper! Plus I think I like shorter throw/firmer springs, but who knows...

Cheers,
--flux

I could hardly notice the difference.  Both of the sticks feel almost the same except for the seimi it felt like it was a lot easier to do quick hadous.  ie, less movement to throw a fireball.  Thats what I think but I'm no expert.
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

fluxcore

Quote from: D0P3FI3ND on February 15, 2007, 06:37:18 PM
i have no idea wat the difference is, but apparently the stick at yifans are similar to the ones in japan....so generally, id go with what those are......the feel similar to dc arcade sticks if that helps....

Both Sanwa and Seimitsu are very popular in Japanese cabs. Traditionally the wisdom is, I believe, Sanwa for Fighters, Seimitsu for Shooters. However I've also heard people say that Seimitsu LS-32 are THE stick for SF3:3s, so maybe I'll just put down for a couple of those, as I say they are cheaper. And if, as Stu says, they feel pretty damn similar, that'll be good enough...

I'm almost tempted to get one of each, but I really don't need to chuck money about THAT much... :D

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Fate

Let me know where you get them, and how much you pay. I've been looking out for some stuff to modify my Namco stick with.

fluxcore

Quote from: Fate on February 17, 2007, 03:02:43 PM
Let me know where you get them, and how much you pay. I've been looking out for some stuff to modify my Namco stick with.

Will do. I can give you an estimate pricing however... I'm ordering from Akihabarashop.com since they have the best range I can find. Shipping is a bit of a bitch, but hey...
2x JLF Sanwa + 14 sanwa buttons = ~175 (including shipping)
2x LS32 Seimitsu + 14 sei buttons = ~135 (incl. shipping)

--flux

Coddfish

I need to get my hands on some parts as well.
I also have a Namco stick, but I may not bother with modding it at all - Byrdo has blueprints for his cases, and they don't seem to hard to construct. As far as wiring goes, I'm sure I can find out all the details in SRK's tech forum.

I also want to set up a MAME cab at some point in the near future... So I guess I'll be spending a lot of money on parts :D

fluxcore

Hwa hwa hwa... http://akihabarashop.com/status.html - my order is #3. Direct piccy link here.

And from what the shipping report says, it's within NZ somewhere... might get my goodies this week!

If you want to see something that will make you weep, however, look at order 20... eep!

--flux

fluxcore

This week... bwah bwah bwah, they turned up just now! Pity I don't have a cabinet to put them in yet... :(

Edit: Equally as uber, http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=94395057 belongs to me! $30 for an arcade cab shell. Needs a bit of work, but should scrub up nicely...

--flux

samurai black

my tutor last year bought pretty much everything he needed for his own cabinet off trademe. he's gonna bust out a mame cabinet to put in the staffroom to play during break  ;D

Coddfish

Akihabara shop only accept PayPal payment, don't they? And PayPal requires a credit card to deposit funds into the account, doesn't it... Hmm. Only a few months to go though, till I turn 18 and can apply for a credit card!

I was also thinking about building a mame cab, but I think its a bit too big of a project for now. I'll just start slow with sticks.

Once I get my parts I'll just have to get my art printed, case painted and then figure out how to put it all together... Hrm.

fluxcore

Per (the akihabara shop guy) *might* be slightly flexible in payment options, but unless you have some other method of paying in Yen then paypal really is the easiest way... and yeah I think it requires a credit card.

I would recommend making sticks first as well; I've made three and hacked another... it's definitely good practice and will give you a good idea what to expect, along with giving ideas on how to improve things each time! Technically there's absolutely no need for a cab anyway, the only benefit is that the sticks won't move and you don't have to sit on the floor or have the controls on your lap (both of which are pretty annoying, granted).

But yeah, I'd definitely recommend Akihabara shop, Per seems to be a really good guy, the parts are the best, with the best range, and the shipping is fast!

--flux

madaxe munkee

Does anyone know where I can get a Sanwa Balltop from in NZ?

Being able to choose the colour is important as well.
We don the blue beret. Pick up Arcus Diabolus Bolverk and put our guns on. For if there is an Assault to go Through, a Spring to be Raided, or a Bloom to be Triggered, we will be there.

We main Noel Vermillion.

rugdoctor

Quote from: madaxe munkee on June 11, 2010, 09:12:16 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a Sanwa Balltop from in NZ?

Being able to choose the colour is important as well.

Try trademe...a guy has been selling some for the past weeks
All your sticks belong to me!