• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

TRF SF4 tourney in Japan , marn and J Wong get peaced out .....

Started by [NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja, July 05, 2009, 01:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on July 06, 2009, 02:54:22 PM
Quote from: ILL_BILL on July 06, 2009, 02:46:10 PM
Quote from: ADism on July 06, 2009, 01:22:52 PM
Quote from: CrazyMobius on July 06, 2009, 10:25:59 AM
Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on July 06, 2009, 08:33:22 AM
Man so much hate for these guys.

IMO juston os the man.  He is leagues ahead of everyone else in america, and its no doubt that random japs are gonna be better than him, what with all the better compp they have.

The dudes working hard to become the best.  Gotta admire the struggle.

He just comes across as a bit of a dick.

in most of his interviews he does....but then again, when you've got all that hype behind you, i guess it would be kinda hard not to kinda feel abit like your alot better then everyone else and not come across as a dick...

He's the best in the US by leaps and bounds. But on the world stage, hes 'only' a great player, but not as far ahead as he seems to think imo.

You reckon?  I still think he is one of the best in the world.  He beat Iyo.  And his ability to learn added to his exposure to better comp from Japan is going to prove to be a force by the time EVO comes around.

I reckon he is one of the best in the world. You dont get recognition around the world for just being a 'great' player. I just think its his kind of cockiness that makes people kind of have this 'thing' against him.
The New Generation Clockw0rk

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

I think i mislead people. By "great" in this case I meant one of the best in the world. I just believe there are better players. I said before i reckon he can hang with the best in Japan, so im not doubting that. I just think that there are a few players ahead of him atm. Not by a large margin, but definitely ahead.

The point about how practicing in japan will help his US game is a good one. Once he gets used to fighting the Japanese style of play he will be an even bigger monster than he is now. I think a lot of it boils down to that. Hes pretty determined to be the best in the world, and he most definitely has the tools to do it. He's up there for sure, but hes no number 1 yet imo.

Dude comes across as a dick though. And i dont see this changing anytime soon.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

Quote from: ILL_BILL on July 06, 2009, 03:30:56 PM
The point about how practicing in japan will help his US game is a good one. Once he gets used to fighting the Japanese style of play he will be an even bigger monster than he is now. I think a lot of it boils down to that. Hes pretty determined to be the best in the world, and he most definitely has the tools to do it. He's up there for sure, but hes no number 1 yet imo.

totally agree with this.

but you never know if he really is a dick until you meet him. But in his vids n stuff, does look like a dick...specially with that hair lol ::)
The New Generation Clockw0rk

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Lennysaurus

Quote from: ADism on July 06, 2009, 03:33:16 PM

totally agree with this.

but you never know if he really is a dick until you meet him. But in his vids n stuff, does look like a dick...specially with that hair lol ::)

I think people can misinterperet dick with confidence.  And you cant be the best witout ALOT of confidence imo.

I personally think that come SBO he is gonna carve, top 3 at least.  This is my honest prediction.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

HoneyBadger

I think a lot of that is an act. Quite often when I talk to the American pro gamers in other games, they say that they always need players who are willing to act like an asshole to give the game some personality. A lot of the time they're the players who piss people off and encourage them to go across state or even across the ocean to kick their ass. The thing that I enjoy most about American pro gaming leagues is the amount of shit talking that goes around between teams and the shout outs and ggs that come out afterwards on the blogs and stuff. Personally I think Justin is trying to create interest in the American scene
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on July 06, 2009, 03:38:45 PM
Quote from: ADism on July 06, 2009, 03:33:16 PM

totally agree with this.

I think people can misinterperet dick with confidence.  And you cant be the best witout ALOT of confidence imo.

I personally think that come SBO he is gonna carve, top 3 at least.  This is my honest prediction.

Theres a very fine line between cockiness and confidence, Jwong can blur it pretty hard at times. Im kind of gutted that darkprince doesnt play SF4. Wong would have way more fans if that was the case. I think SBO will be interesting all round. If SBO was today, i wouldnt be picking Wong in top 3, but i think when it does roll around, he will have a damn good shot, and i reckon top 3 could be a very realistic prediction.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

maelgrim

So whats SBO ? (newb question for the day) is it like world champs or something ?
Is there an NZ qualifier you guys are gonna enter ?
Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

Skullator

Quote from: maelgrim on July 06, 2009, 04:34:56 PM

So whats SBO ? (newb question for the day) is it like world champs or something ?
Is there an NZ qualifier you guys are gonna enter ?

Super Battle Opera Tougeki, like the biggest\most elite fighting game tourny in the world.

Youtube some SBO matches from third strike etc, pretty impressive play.

This years roster-

Singles 1 vs. 1
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Fate/Unlimited Codes
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

Teams 2 vs 2
Arcana Heart 2: Suggoi
Street Fighter IV

Teams 3 vs 3
Virtua Fighter 5R
Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core

[8-----D] Toots

Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on July 06, 2009, 03:38:45 PM

I personally think that come SBO he is gonna carve, top 3 at least.  This is my honest prediction.

Really???? ??? ??? ???

I think they will be real lucky if make it past round two. Justin is using Rufus and Marn is using Boxer. Sagat is a bad match up for Boxer and especially bad for Rufus. There are at least 10 Sagats qualified for SBO. Chances are they will play one either first or second round and get peaced out. Then there are the Ryu's to worry about...

The matchups aren't gunna be in there favour all that often

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

I think all the americans are gunna get knocked out first or second round at SBO .
The japs are just that much better
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

HoneyBadger

I'm half with Leo on this one. It's hard to improve without competition, knowing Justin's attitude he's going to be out practicing hard every day to become the man. He's a smart dude so I reckon he'll do halfway good, not top three though.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

Chuckk

Justin's whole thing is a bit of a schtick.
Yeah he pushes people's buttons, but it's all a mix of creating hype, a bit of inflated ego from bullying the rest of the world in the game, and telling other people he is the best to create a mantra where people actually believe that. So much so that it helps him believe.

I understand the hate on Justin's arrogance, but imo, he's great to watch. I love how Mike Ross can be so chill with Justin thuggin him out, it's great.

What I DON'T understand, is the general Japanese dickrider-y. I admire them as much as anyone but I really feel like everyone (not japan) should be siding with the US as Justin and Marn are showing that American players can hang with Japan a little better than they ever really have before.

Just touching back on the arrogance thing, you guys need to grab IRC and hang in #capcom for a bit, it's such good entertainment. Between FloE, Marn, Sabin, Sanford, Justin, Valle, and Watson, the amount of shit talking, bitching, whining, "real talk", "your free", "get salty nigga", it's the greatest show on earth.

The stage is set for SBO and Evo.
RAP GAME MIKE MYERS

"It's only the 360 version that is late.  PS3 version will ship on time."

-Lenny

moose!

Chuckk

RAP GAME MIKE MYERS

"It's only the 360 version that is late.  PS3 version will ship on time."

-Lenny