• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Sirlin's post-Evo2k9 thoughts

Started by fluxcore, July 24, 2009, 07:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2009/7/21/evolution-2009.html

Sirlin discusses a few things about the tournament, and some thoughts on BlazBlue.

No wonder Tager is bottom tier, who ever heard of a grappler/throw char where his special throws can't be used as reversals and can be jumped out of for free?
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Lennysaurus

Quote from: fluxcore on July 24, 2009, 07:51:02 AM

Sirlin discusses a few things about the tournament, and some thoughts on BlazBlue.

No wonder Tager is bottom tier, who ever heard of a grappler/throw char where his special throws can't be used as reversals and can be jumped out of for free?

Its not that bad.  THey do Half life, and can magnet suck you from across the screen.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

maelgrim

Interesting read, though I disagree with his BB thoughts.
Yeah they are easier to tech - which is a good thing IMO.
You can combo them in - which is fun and if you are tager you are doing serious damage.

He think he's low tier thanks to his Nu matchup which is not good at all.
Otherwise he's pretty good especially with that magnetic spark thing.

EDIT - My post EVO thought is that I think Daigo is like the Borg. I think Justin missed his one an only chance to beat him with Rog becasue Daigo has assimilated his game plan :)

Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

Gino

Some interesting insight into the thow mechanics of BB. Guess i won't be playing Tagar untill the next release.

fluxcore

There's actually a lot of good discussion in the forums on the site as well. Sirlin basically gets attacked and backs up his argument by saying "0f throws are good because they add to offense AND defense"

Anyone who plays ST knows how great defensive throws are. I actually don't even like SF4's 3 frame throws...
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

HoneyBadger

Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on July 24, 2009, 08:32:45 AM
Quote from: fluxcore on July 24, 2009, 07:51:02 AM

Its not that bad.  THey do Half life, and can magnet suck you from across the screen.

Yeah, Tager doesn't even need throws to do damage, if you see how some of the top level Tagers play the matchup isn't as hard as it would sound on paper. (still hard though)
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

maelgrim

Well I watched that Mike Z tager vs Nu final.
Mike Z being one of the best tager players around did well but still lost, showing that the Tager player has to play extremely well to have a chance and hope the Nu player doesn't.

Its a funny matchup though as Tager can win pretty dramtically if he gets in but could also more often get perfected.
Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

stereomonkey

Quote from: fluxcore on July 24, 2009, 09:50:06 AM
There's actually a lot of good discussion in the forums on the site as well. Sirlin basically gets attacked and backs up his argument by saying "0f throws are good because they add to offense AND defense"

Anyone who plays ST knows how great defensive throws are. I actually don't even like SF4's 3 frame throws...

That is the greatness of ST.  You can go on the offense thinking you've lined up your combo setups and then BAM! you get thrown!

This is one reason why Ilove the old SF's.  Alot of mind games with this to :)
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

Barnstorm

Quote from: fluxcore on July 24, 2009, 09:50:06 AM

I dont know if this is applicable but i like there being a throw start up maybe its because sf2 had no whiff for throw

but in one of sirlins other posts he talks about 1button throws and thats how they should be which i think is rubbish that the game decides to throw or not

it should be a free punch to the face if you attempt a throw out of range and not get a normal mp/hp mk/hk

just out of curiosity did other street fighters have start up on throws eg alpha or 3rd strike

moose!

3S is 2 frame startup, which is as fast as the fastest normal.
I don't think A3 has startup.

Will read this later today.

fluxcore

stereomonkey

Throw wiffs slow the game down in my opinion.  What do people normally do when your opponent wiffs their throw?
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: stereomonkey on July 24, 2009, 02:50:15 PM
Throw wiffs slow the game down in my opinion.  What do people normally do when your opponent wiffs their throw?

I believe "Rape their face off" is the correct answer here.

My answer is "Attempt to perform the above answer, but cock it up, and have the above happen to me, instead of my opponent"
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

HoneyBadger

my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.