• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

SBO/Evo match links

Started by zos'la, August 10, 2009, 08:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really find SBO that interesting. In fact I can't be bothered watching most Japanese tourneys... I think it's mainly the single elim format. I just don't trust any of the results.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

maelgrim

yeah I don't really like single elim either
Though I do like character lock
Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

[8-----D] Toots

I just watch them for the level of play. Single elim demands the highest level of play and adaptation. Better than watching Americans play 3 out of 5, fuck up there combos and maybe adapting after two or three games. One thing I will say is that Japanese tourneys seem to lack any kind of character. The American vids are definitely more 'entertaining'.

The results for single elim tourneys may be random at times but more often then not the on form players will win/place high.

fluxcore

I see a Japanese person miss something and then he's out of the tournament. I guess that's what he deserves though huh! 99.9% isn't enough!

I'm also not so sure that much adaptation happens, considering most of them play against each other for 5 hours a day every day anyway.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

electric

Quote from: fluxcore on October 06, 2009, 12:11:27 PM
I see a Japanese person miss something and then he's out of the tournament. I guess that's what he deserves though huh! 99.9% isn't enough!

That's what's happened for the past 5 Rugby World Cups :/
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: electric on October 06, 2009, 12:17:37 PM

Youre right. Japan needs to get better at Rugby. :P
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: Toomeke on October 06, 2009, 11:05:05 AM
One thing I will say is that Japanese tourneys seem to lack any kind of character. The American vids are definitely more 'entertaining'.

Why does everyone say that, do people really think it's more entertaining watching broken links, failed fadc ultras, wake up uppercuts, random ultras, and a shit load of missed punishment.

SOME of those jpn games are a bit slow but atleast you know why they're being catious. Also it's pretty gay they dont use console chars, i wana see jpn Goukens, Seths etc.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

electric

Quote from: weazzyefff on October 06, 2009, 01:20:39 PM
SOME of those jpn games are a bit slow but atleast you know why they're being catious. Also it's pretty gay they dont use console chars, i wana see jpn Goukens, Seths etc.

Japanese Gouken would be fucking win

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: ILL_BILL on October 06, 2009, 12:41:22 PM
Quote from: electric on October 06, 2009, 12:17:37 PM

Youre right. Japan needs to get better at Rugby. :P
You know whats funny, Jpn won the world Grid Iron championships three years in a row, i think it was the three years America wasn't in it.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

One thing I will say is that Japanese tourneys seem to lack any kind of character. The American vids are definitely more 'entertaining'.

Why does everyone say that, do people really think it's more entertaining watching broken links, failed fadc ultras, wake up uppercuts, random ultras, and a shit load of missed punishment.

He's talking about the crowd reactions etc. Not the level of skill.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: ILL_BILL on October 06, 2009, 03:42:35 PM

Oops lol. Because alot of people say they find it entertaining because of the risks they take , and thats  why i cant watch them, it's unbearable.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: weazzyefff on October 06, 2009, 03:54:35 PM
Quote from: ILL_BILL on October 06, 2009, 03:42:35 PM

Oops lol. Because alot of people say they find it entertaining because of the risks they take , and thats  why i cant watch them, it's unbearable.

I watch that shit for the commentary.

eg. "Whats that? Did you say Mike Ross has a pretty good Honda, despite his racial handicap?"

or

"ED MA! ED MA! ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA SHINNNNNNNNRYYYYYUUUUUUUUKEEENNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Among others.

<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

electric

Quote from: ILL_BILL on October 06, 2009, 04:23:52 PMI watch that shit for the commentary.

Actually, that's what I like the most about them too lol

moose!

Quote from: fluxcore on October 06, 2009, 09:27:39 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't really find SBO that interesting. In fact I can't be bothered watching most Japanese tourneys... I think it's mainly the single elim format. I just don't trust any of the results.
Just posting to say I think (almost exactly) the opposite when it comes to watching matches/tourneys.

IMO the SBO 3v3 single elim format adds a lot to the excitement to the tourney and makes the in form players really shine- regardless of character.

fluxcore

I guess I should break it down really.

I want to watch american tourneys live because they are hype and interesting and I get all excited watching them.

I want to watch japanese individual matches later because they are better to learn shit from, but I'd rather watch paint dry than a full tournament.

In general.