• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

Music

Started by Coddfish, March 12, 2007, 02:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

originaljulz

Quote from: xFIST_0F_FURYx on May 04, 2011, 10:56:38 AM
Nick this is why you shouldn't drop Juri XD

Lmao that was pretty tight.

I wish he used something more than "you'reonmymindyou'reonmymindyou'reonmymindyou'reonmymind" though.
HEAVEN OR HELL? DUAL ONE. LETS ROCK!

CrazyMobius

Quote from: LN on May 04, 2011, 07:12:35 PM
Maybe. The mastering process is quite different so it tends to sound different to a CD or cassette anyway. Most of the cds these days are mastered for over the top volume at the expense of clarity and dynamics (take a look into The Loudness War if you care to), whereas it doesn't really work on vinyl.

Personally I find the physicality of the medium quite appealing, but there's also the artwork. Being able to actually tweak your player with different cartridges, needles etc is kind of cool too - what can you really tweak on a CD player? I guess you can solder in new DACs but that's not really something anyone wants to do.

You can find some really cheap shit at op shops too :)

Sweet. Cheers for that.

xkheretic

Quote from: geneterror on May 04, 2011, 01:53:17 PM

I'm looking foward to the Disma album.  I wouldn't mind the EP, but the label it's coming out isn't the most reliable.

Sample tune is here.  So good.

CaptainHook

Quote from: CrazyMobius on May 04, 2011, 06:51:42 PM
So does vinyl sound better? Or is it the collector factor that makes it cool? I would like to be a vinyl collector.

What Alan said about the loudness wars is true, plus analog vs digital baby. LOL.
Even better is if the recording was to TAPE instead of a computer(digital capture) and then to vinyl.

Analog is generally naturally flattering in any format compared to digital. Take a look at film vs digital capture
in photography/film/movies/etc.

My assessments aren't just from an audience perspective, but as an audio engineer/photographer and i
can tell you analog capture is much easier to manipulate into something more pleasing as well.
(having said that i personally think it IS possible to get digital close to analog, but it requires a lot more
manipulating which is usually more effort/time..)

So you're probably wondering what the downside to analog is?

Cost.

Analog is much more expensive.

So basically the whole world has dumped quality in favour of cheapness/convenience. Aka mp3s or youtube. Lol.
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

LN

The reason I didn't get into the analog vs digital thing is because THEORETICALLY 48khz or so sample rate is completely sufficient to encompass the range the human ear can really distinguish. Beyond that it kind of becomes "audiophile waffle" about some kind of audio gestalt that doesn't really fit with theoretical knowledge.

MP3 is another matter obviously, but that's a bunch of heuristics so it's really dependent on the source...
There is no knowledge that is not power

CaptainHook

Prob not the place to discuss, but 48k is okay if the ADC/DAC implementation is done well enough. (band pass filter design etc). Otherwise there's aliasing issues that can occur within the audible range. Good designs are expensive to RND and produce, which is why 88.2/96k is often used. Its cheaper and easy than doing a well designed convertor that runs at 44.1/48k and puts any aliasing errors and such outside of the range that matters to us more. Lol @ us for cheapness winning again. :P

Probably not a surprise that many "older" digital convertors work much better @ 44.1/48k than more "modern" designs do.

But it's not about if digital can capture accurately (to me), its that analog capture imparts it's own character to the source that is IMHO generally flattering.
Designers spent a lot of time developing ways to make up for the "flaws" of the analog medium and in doing so, created processing that most of us like.
Digital for the most part seems to aim for "accurate" and as i've learned, we don't want the truth. We want the fantasy. :P

Film looks great. My photos shot on 6x7 transparencies look fantastic straight out of camera compared to digital (which need post work to get the same).
Same with motion picture. And everything i've recorded on multi-track tape sounded more like "music" playing it back "flat" than all the straight to digital stuff.
(again, i do believe with further post-processing you can get digital to compete with analog)

Analog reproduction is similar, but the difference is not always so pronounced.

So for me it's not about which is more accurate (i dont really care), i want the most flattery out of the box because it makes my job easier, and i enjoy
the results more. :)

That seems to be analog still.
Tape. Vinyl. Film.

Although i primarily use digital because it's cheaper. LOL!
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

xFIST_0F_FURYx

Quote from: originaljulz on May 04, 2011, 07:13:51 PM
Lmao that was pretty tight.

I wish he used something more than "you'reonmymindyou'reonmymindyou'reonmymindyou'reonmymind" though.

Yeah I would've just let the beat play out and leave the acapella lol.

Gino

I've been enjoying Sleigh Bells

xFIST_0F_FURYx

I like this song

[NIUE]iRONSoL

pringles

scribble

Quote from: [NIUE]iRONSoL on May 18, 2011, 06:55:45 PM
http://www.therosetint.com/

Who said its about money?

Downloaded this after I got back from yours. Mean.

"I hope the Yama Kings have mercy upon your soul, for I shall not" - Hsien-Ko

xFIST_0F_FURYx

xkheretic

geneterror

This from my post on Punkas...
QuoteReally disappointed to be honest. I love everything Autopsy have done up until this including the EP that came out not so long ago. The vocals are to loud and everything sounds to nice especially the guitars. Also the "clean" vocals on one of the tracks (I think track 3 or 4) are horrible. Dunno if it's Chris Reifert or not but they're horrible.
KOW 2011

HoneyBadger

Haterror666

GRAEME DA HATER
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA