• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

Pre-release Super Street Fighter IV details

Started by iMagneto, September 20, 2009, 12:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydro

Quote from: Toomeke on October 23, 2009, 11:04:15 PM
Man I dont like the direction they are going in with the new characters. Seems like they want everyone to be able to combo into ultra easily for stupid damage. Not keen.

I'm not sure what you're saying Ben bro, do you only want some of the characters to be able to do this? Currenty we have most of cast able to do this sort of thing with some degree of difficulty, nothing really new. . . except for that DeeJay ex crumple. . . that's some exciting shit right there, I mean, almost better than that Boxer headbutt>ultra (no meter mind you)) that you personally pull off 100% lol

Rumor has it that everyone will have a way to combo into ultra now. . . Good or bad, the new characters look fresh within the existing game. Juri has me the most excited at the moment.

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

Quote from: Toomeke on October 23, 2009, 11:04:15 PM
Man I dont like the direction they are going in with the new characters. Seems like they want everyone to be able to combo into ultra easily for stupid damage. Not keen.

I dunno man, I reckon this just adds another element kinda. Just like 3S where you can practically go to Super anytime you can, which always puts you on the defensive making you play smarter, instead of just waiting for an opening to set up for ultra now. i.e ryu, sagat, balrog, rufus..... ::)

And cos ultras look mad flash cool  :o :o :o :P
The New Generation Clockw0rk

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Depends what 'stupid damage' is imo.

Ryu has a billion ways to combo into ultra, and yes it does decent damage, but its not ridiculous. Even other characters (Rufus/rog) that have easy ultra methods get raped by the scaling, which is actually a good thing.

What i DONT want to see is everyone having something retarded like Sagat's dreamkiller. "Oh yea im totally out playing this guy. *makes minor mistake* Oh, look, now the life is even/turned around completely."

Id like to see it a bit more difficult. A blind 3 year old can pull the dreamkiller out if they need to. (Or any basic FADC for that matter) I like to be rewarded for doing something difficult, not doing stupid generic crap. Which is why i use fuerte.

On the flip side though, giving a similar thing to everyone would be good for balance, and not entirely undesirable. But it risks all the characters becoming quite similar in terms of gameplay.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[8-----D] Toots

Quote from: everyone on October 23, 2009, 11:51:04 PM

Stuff

Hydro:

I'd actually prefer that no one could combo into the Ultra's. The whole I got a jab on you and now you guna lose half doesn't sit well with. The Benefit outweighs the risk by about a million percent. They should be more like super's in ST. If they made Ultra's better (quicker start up, more invincibility, less punishable for certain ones...) then I think they could be viable as a high risk, high reward move.

OR make them like Boxer's headbutt Ultra so you only get minimal damage if it lands. You probably haven't seen me play in a while but I don't really combo into Ultra anymore. The only time I do is off random/anti air headbutts or combo's where I will get good damage.

I think some characters should be able to combo into Ultra though. Viper, Rufus, Sakura, Gen, Chun, Ken and Gouken all make sense to me. All of these characters either have limited zoning abilities or shitty normals and need to be up in your face to do some decent damage. Just tone down the damage on the Ultra's please.

AD:

Problem is that 3s is a totally different game whereas SFIV is built around a Super Turbo kind of game engine. It's kinda fucked how they seem to want the game to be all about the basics and stuff but then chuck in shit like combos into Ultra. Too conflicting for my taste's. Revamp the SFIV game engine, multi hit absorbing FA's, Guard bars, Air blocking, Pushblocking, other wacky shit..., and then I will be happy with half life Ultra combo's.

Lennysaurus

I think that its kind of lazy game design to just give EVERYONE a way to combo into ultra.  I dont think everyone needs it.  THey just need to balance it properly.  Good examples are Blanka/Akuma/Gief/Elf.  Those Characters cant combo into thier Ultras easily/at all, but do fine due to other aspects of thier game.

I think that its kind of lazy game design to just give EVERYONE a way to combo into ultra.  I dont think everyone needs it.  THey just need to balance it properly.  Good examples are Blanka/Akuma/Gief/Elf.  Those Characters cant combo into thier Ultras easily/at all, but do fine.

Characters that need it are maybe guile?  and thats about it.  Everyone else is strong enough without it. 

I just think that there are better ways to balance the characters than just letting everyone combo into ultra.

I would rather they increased the viability of rush and mixup, because at the moment I feel  that zoning and poking are less viable, and have a great risk/payoff than getting in and mixing it up, save maybe akuma?

My wishlist is still to ramp up the speed and add a guard bar though :-)

I wanted to play DJ priginally but it looks to me like they are dumbing him down too much.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

fluxcore

Quote from: Toomeke on October 24, 2009, 11:00:53 AM

I'd actually prefer that no one could combo into the Ultra's. The whole I got a jab on you and now you guna lose half doesn't sit well with. The Benefit outweighs the risk by about a million percent. They should be more like super's in ST.

Ah, what? Have you seen all the combos into super shit in Super Turbo? They do MORE damage than ultras in SFIV, so I don't really know what you're on about here. And yeah some of them start off jabs as well...
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

AD:

Problem is that 3s is a totally different game whereas SFIV is built around a Super Turbo kind of game engine. It's kinda fucked how they seem to want the game to be all about the basics and stuff but then chuck in shit like combos into Ultra. Too conflicting for my taste's. Revamp the SFIV game engine, multi hit absorbing FA's, Guard bars, Air blocking, Pushblocking, other wacky shit..., and then I will be happy with half life Ultra combo's.

i get ya, i get ya, but i think they built it around it but werent intending it to be exactly like it which is why they added ultra/FA's....but i get ya

i think im meaning character design wise(?) by most of the top tier characters have a way to combo into their super/ultra, damage scaling or not, when compared to characters that lenny said that have a hard time or cant even combo into them at all, if all characters had this, then i reckon it'll put the basics back into effect, where everyones supers and ultras are even, but then it goes back to like ground game and mind games....because everyone will have a chance to land that super without a doubt.

BUT

I am down for multi hit absorbing FA's and gaurd bars and definately push blocking, but air blocking i dunno....but now its starting to sound like alpha...

HOWEVER

QuoteWhat i DONT want to see is everyone having something retarded like Sagat's dreamkiller. "Oh yea im totally out playing this guy. *makes minor mistake* Oh, look, now the life is even/turned around completely."

sorry bill, but this is what i want to see.....because then you'll always be on, non stop.....fast paced man, honestly it'll be dope....imo
The New Generation Clockw0rk

maelgrim

I'm with the "nobody should be able to combo into ultras" club.
I don't care if its really hard to do or really easy for everyone.
I think it take a lot away from the game.

I will say that HF was the last one I really played before SF4 - so naturally i'll be pretty biased against anything like that  ;D

I'm all for low technical difficulty but high depth / tactical play in my fighters :)
Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

[8-----D] Toots

Quote from: fluxcore on October 24, 2009, 12:35:38 PM

I'd actually prefer that no one could combo into the Ultra's. The whole I got a jab on you and now you guna lose half doesn't sit well with. The Benefit outweighs the risk by about a million percent. They should be more like super's in ST.

Ah, what? Have you seen all the combos into super shit in Super Turbo? They do MORE damage than ultras in SFIV, so I don't really know what you're on about here. And yeah some of them start off jabs as well...

Yes I've seen them but you can't compare the practicality of them. The only ones that I have seen frequently in a match are Deejays upkicks into super, kens short short super and ryus low foward super. Combos into ultra happen pretty much every round in SFIV.

fluxcore

I could list a bunch of other examples as well, but that's not really the point. Practicality isn't really an argument either, because at the top level combos into super are as practical as combos into ultra are in sfiv. It's simply that the barrier to entry is less for SFIV, which I don't think is a bad thing.

I just don't think you should be practically guaranteed 2 ultras every round, it gets a bit silly.

Otherwise, I don't really have a problem with the chars getting combos into ultra. What did you expect was going to happen? They'd remove combos into ultra? Make them more difficult? Hah!

I just don't see how you guys that hate on SFIV were expecting a whole new game this time around.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] weazzyefff

I think it would be cool if fei long and others who need it could combo into ultra, it would LOOK cool, Balance a couple oh the shit the ones out like guiles getting one, he desperately needs it.

Have no idea how it will effect the game, but think it will be better this way.

Yeah Guile! Fei Long! Vega (claw) DEFINATELY CLAW, Dan ( yes, Dan , fuck you's) Elfuerte, please elfuerte would be my main if he had this, umm who else , who else. Oh yeah Honda, tooo plleease. And give Akuma one, but make it take off farrk all, pretty much just to look cool,  it would compliment his style , NOT make him god tier.

Just my opinion, you's are probably like WRONG, WRONG, WRONG , lol.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

Hydro

^^^ Guile, Dan and Fei long can all combo into ultra. Claw can ONLY off a FA. Sucks. (I actually can do a combo with Claw that should easily juggle into his ultra, but you end up going right through them! LOL!)

Only Guile, Honda and Claw are the ones severely lacking from an ultra 'mechanics' standpoint, really.

Though in having said that let me also say I wouldn't give a shit about being able to combo into it or not, as damage was really the only thing that bugs me about it at all. (It should scale at least to 25% damage off a combo beginning with a normal, and if you FADC into it should scale more)

I agree that risk is a big part of it for most characters, though typically the top characters really have the lowest risk - highest rewards. while I believe the game is fairly well balanced, this is probably my only complaint about vanilla SFIV, the risk factor. That and shitty mashing out SRK's for an easy reversal, rather than timing it with skill (A la ST)

I still call SFIV my favorite SF of all time, just hoping that things that are an obvious detriment to the game are addressed and rectified in Super.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Yeah i forgot about Dans ex one fuck the super taunt cancel one was on my mind at the time and thats COOL but also SHIT if ya kna imean. I know guile can it's in the trials but fuck that needing super shit, and i know Fei can too but fuck that 2 hits shit, lmfao.

I cant believe you never asked for anything for Viper, though she doesnt need shit except a few ''priority'' issues with her sj fk air to air. But you know what people are like with their chars.

Hey what do think about Juri bro? She looking dope atm.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

fluxcore

Remember that most of the cast can land a deep jumping fierce/roundhouse into ultra also... hahaha

samurai black

ill complain and mouth off later when the game drops. im far too uninformed to articulate an opinion right now.