• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

PS3 SF4 lag compared to 360 ?

Started by [NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja, November 02, 2009, 12:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

This was posted on J Wongs blog today

Stephen Keith Question
I own SF4 for Xbox and PS3. I also have TE sticks for both. I have been playing on Xbox for a very long time (Almost since release) until my Xbox red ringed for the 2nd time. While I work out the process to get it fixed, I picked up SF4 and a stick for PS3. I quickly noticed while redoing trials that there is what seems to be an input lag on the PS3. I was wondering if there is an legitimacy to the claims about the lag. I use an HDMI cable on my PS3 on an HD DLP and have noticed a difference between the two consoles.Any thoughts?
P.S. What did you think of the music mix for Marvel at SB4? I thought it was pretty sweet and nostalgic. 90’s jamz FTW haha!

JWonggg Answer
There is input lag timing between the 2. I personally play on xbox and the fact that PS3 lags alot affects my gameplay a bit.  I miss combos I usually never miss but you’ll adjust to it sooner or later.
 The music they used for Marvel is always better than the current soundtrack.  I would listen to anything besides the current music.

I always thought it was just in my head but after playing pc and 360 whenevr i play on ps3 I find my links etc harder to do ....
Is there really input lag on the ps3 version ? If so thats kinda crap for you ps3 users
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

fluxcore

Yeah I saw that too... interesting if true. I can't say I've played much on sf4 ps3 though.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

massi4h

I thought they said there was virtually no difference if you installed it on your ps3?

Brodsta_AU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjdwwf6vaIE

block/poke strings seem noticeably slower on the ps3 too, from my experience

electric

People keep saying the difference is minimal, but personally, I've noticed the difference between PS3, 360 and Arcade. To me it seems like the PS3 is slightly faster, so when I'm doing links on the 360 or Arcade version, they sometimes won't come out because I'm doing stuff too fast. Even stuff like block string cancels are wonky on Arcade but I hit them every time on PS3... Go figure :/
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

fluxcore

Let's be clear here: input lag isn't the same as game speed.

Input lag means that if you press a button, the action won't occur until a number of frames later. 0 input lag means that when you press the button the move starts on the same frame.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[8-----D] Toots

::)

The guy asking the question plays on a DLP tv through a HDMI cable. Thats pretty much the best way to add input lag to your setup. Also there is no mention of what make of stick he is using which can have a huge effect on input lag.

The only way to check if there really is noticeable input lag is to test each console on the exact same sdtv with official pads. You can't compare the yifans retarded resolution setup with your old school 14inch and your mates 50inch plasma running at 1080p.

fluxcore

Actually, in the very first sentence he says he has TE sticks for 360 and PS3, and presumably is clever enough to try both consoles on the same DLP setup, and the one leap of faith I'm making is that he's using HDMI on both.

CrazyMobius

Quote from: electric on November 02, 2009, 01:31:04 PM
People keep saying the difference is minimal, but personally, I've noticed the difference between PS3, 360 and Arcade. To me it seems like the PS3 is slightly faster, so when I'm doing links on the 360 or Arcade version, they sometimes won't come out because I'm doing stuff too fast. Even stuff like block string cancels are wonky on Arcade but I hit them every time on PS3... Go figure :/

I agree. I found some input lag issues with the Yifans game the other day.

[8-----D] Toots

Quote from: fluxcore on November 02, 2009, 05:06:18 PM
Actually, in the very first sentence he says he has TE sticks for 360 and PS3, and presumably is clever enough to try both consoles on the same DLP setup, and the one leap of faith I'm making is that he's using HDMI on both.

>_<

woops didn't read that very well...still the guy is running a very laggy setup for ps3 and does not say that he was using the same for his xbox(he may have had it running thru vga into a computer monitor which would give virtually no lag). He wouldn't be able to test his xbox on the dlp as its borked. Also combo's are rarely affected by input lag. Doing trial mode is definitely not a good way of testing input lag.

I have played three different ports of the game (arcade, ps3 and xbox) on a SD setup and can say that i noticed no difference in input lag. You only have to read this thread here to see that there is little consistency in the claims that people are making.

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

i wasnt really making anything of what that random guy mentioned about his setup , it was more Justin wongs answer to it ...

JWonggg Answer
There is input lag timing between the 2. I personally play on xbox and the fact that PS3 lags alot affects my gameplay a bit.  I miss combos I usually never miss but you’ll adjust to it sooner or later

for him to say it , thats a pretty big call

[8-----D] Toots

Quote from: B1ackstar Ninja on November 02, 2009, 06:32:51 PM
i wasnt really making anything of what that random guy mentioned about his setup , it was more Justin wongs answer to it ...

JWonggg Answer
There is input lag timing between the 2. I personally play on xbox and the fact that PS3 lags alot affects my gameplay a bit.  I miss combos I usually never miss but you’ll adjust to it sooner or later

for him to say it , thats a pretty big call

Yeah I don't wanna start arguing with Wong but we don't know what kind of setups he has been playing on. I've seen him use a hrap2 with converter which might give him some input lag.

HoneyBadger

Hmmm... All the link masters on this forum seem to think that there isn't really a difference.....
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

maelgrim

Quote from: Smoofologist on November 02, 2009, 07:30:22 PM
Hmmm... All the link masters on this forum seem to think that there isn't really a difference.....

God damn and I thought i'd found why I can't link shit  ;D
Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

Quote from: Smoofologist on November 02, 2009, 07:30:22 PM

wong isint a link master ... ?
Blasphamy lol