• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

PS3 SF4 lag compared to 360 ?

Started by [NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja, November 02, 2009, 12:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: B1ackstar Ninja on November 03, 2009, 04:50:42 PM
That scar was from all the bitches tryna cut off my pants so they can get to my Gigantor black Adder wang and they got over excited .

Hey mang he got that scar from eating pussy mang.

Do you main Hwo Smoof? Fuck that guys seriousy the gayest cunt ever, ever i tell you.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

fluxcore

Quote from: Toomeke on November 03, 2009, 04:44:01 PM
Ugh people are comparing apple's with oranges. If you can't do your combo's it's unlikely that its because of input lag. Timing of combo's does not change with input lag unless you are using some type of visual cue. I'll bring along my sdtv so people can see that there is no input lag.

Actually that's not necessarily true. Some people use sound cues to judge timing, some people use animation cues, some people just use their 'feel'. Some of these WOULD be altered by input lag. If the feedback loop from user -> output -> user is longer, all your subsequent actions will be on stale data for a start.

I never said that input lag itself was the cause of my findings, either. I just know that things seem different to me, I have more trouble on ps3.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

samurai black

That scar was from all the bitches tryna cut off my pants so they can get to my Gigantor black Adder wang and they got over excited .

what was your face doing so close to your own crotch  ???

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: samurai black on November 03, 2009, 04:56:18 PM

what was your face doing so close to your own crotch  ???
lol, yeah i'll say.wtf.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

[8-----D] Toots

Quote from: fluxcore on November 03, 2009, 04:56:09 PM

Actually that's not necessarily true. Some people use sound cues to judge timing, some people use animation cues, some people just use their 'feel'. Some of these WOULD be altered by input lag. If the feedback loop from user -> output -> user is longer, all your subsequent actions will be on stale data for a start.

I never said that input lag itself was the cause of my findings, either. I just know that things seem different to me, I have more trouble on ps3.

Pretty much agree with what your saying. Feel is indeed altered by input lag.

Yeah I realise that you didn't say anything about input lag. I was actually aiming that to everyone else who used input lag as a way to explain why they were having problems.

Gamogo

Hi lads. I think this is my first post. I gotta comment on what Wong is saying.

Input lag has a lot of variables and can actually be a common misunderstanding between the Xbox and the PS3.

To reduce input lag on LCD televisions, there are two main points to cover:

1.) Your TV is running at it's native resolution
2.) You are using VGA to connect your console

The problem with the PS3 is that it does NOT have VGA output capability. Secondly, the PS3 does NOT support forced output resolutions by way of internal scaling. Both of these aspects the Xbox does.

Its important to understand that SFIV outputs at 720p and NOT 1080p which is the common native resolution of most LCD televisions unless of course you're one of those fools who dropped $12k on a "massive LCD tele so I can watch tha footy in the yooge" back in 2003 or some shit.

Anywho. With the Xbox you can satisfy the native resolution requirement by forcing it to output at your TV's native res. You go further by using a VGA lead and not an HDMI or component cable.

The importance of running at your TV's native resolution is because doing so removes your TV's requirement to rescale images to display and instead it is done internally on the console. When LCD TVs rescale images you get input lag. Bad input lag. The post-processing power of LCD TVs for image scaling is pretty piss poor and this is where the bulk of input lag stems from. By having your console perform image post-processing (i.e. resizing SFIV's 720p image to 1080p) your TV doesn't have to bother, hence better response.

The PS3 cannot do this. The Xbox can. Therefore, if setup correctly, the Xbox yields a better and more responsive game on TVs that exhibit large amounts of input lag (around 30ms or more).

The solution for PS3 owners (like me) is to buy a snappy LCD monitor with low input lag (I personally use a 24" BenQ E2400), buy a TV that supports 720p as its native resolution or use a CRT. The expensive alternative is to perhaps use a DVDO Edge upscaling unit, but these typically weigh in at more than the price for your console. They're expensive.

Other stuff:

- There are some VGA leads you can buy for the PS3 to interface with VGA but you still don't jump over the native resolution hurdle so the difference (in terms of input lag on LCD TVs) is minimal

- Yes, the PS3 supports forced output resolutions ala the 360 on *SOME* games. But not all. Sadly SFIV does NOT conform to this.

- Not all people perceive input lag. To people like me, it drives me fucking crazy - even a tiny amount of it. My 42" Samsung TV in my lounge is essentially unused for games now as a result.

- No, I'm not saying the Xbox is 'better' - it just exhibits technical aspects that make it friendlier for reducing input lag - aspects that I feel Sony should have also adopted

- After making the jump from my 42" LCD TV to a 24" BenQ LCD monitor I honestly cannot go back to playing on LCD TVs. They feel terrible. The LCD monitor is that much more responsive. Teching throws for example is way more consistent as is nailing tricky links.

- A lot of this is personal opinion (i.e. the point above) however the technical crap is solid. I've spent a long time dealing with input lag dramas and trying out various odds and ends to reduce it. For more info and technical crap check out the thread we created on SRK here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=174085
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

- Carl Sagan

http://gamogo.wordpress.com

massi4h

Wow good to have someone really knowledgeable on board.

So all this time I just assumed I should be using HDMI for playing guitar hero. This could explain why I always find some kind of lag on my really fast 20" LCD. If I find a cheap VGA cable, I should try that and see what it's like.

fluxcore

Nice post, pretty sure I've said most of it in various other posts though :)

However I'm very dubious about the mystical VGA cable which fixes all your input lag. Guitar Hero actually runs at a really crusty resolution from what I understand so there'll definitely be some upscaling which is probably where your problem is. I'm sure no cable will fix this.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

electric

I tend to agree with flux...

The "VGA fix" is merely an attempt to bypass TV post-processing, which may (or may not) be enabled on some TV's VGA ports

In saying that though, I'd really like to try it on mine to see if theres a difference...
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

Gino

Taking a stab in the dark here, but using a VGA cable would mean that the tv has to do an Analog to digital conversion, where as with a HDMI cable the tv wouldn't? Won't that also create some lag as well?

Barnstorm

Quote from: Gino on December 11, 2009, 02:09:02 PM
Taking a stab in the dark here, but using a VGA cable would mean that the tv has to do an Analog to digital conversion, where as with a HDMI cable the tv wouldn't? Won't that also create some lag as well?

i thought this also originally but it appears to be the opposite of that as my understanding goes

fluxcore

A->D is probably less difficult than D->HD, but yeah it'd still be a process...

zos'la

so in saying, reading from teh above with regards to teh 720p LCD monitors that if you have a 1080 monitor it is not suitable for Ps3?

here is what I got, can anyone full me in with some info?
http://www.provantage.com/asus-vw246h~7ASU90MY.htm
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

fluxcore

Only if you have a shit monitor.

Try to find a review of it which states the input lag time.

I can tell you the BenQ E2200HD is a great 1080p monitor for gaming, or if you want 24" the E2400HD