• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

How to use a PS3 TE fightstick with MAME32

Started by CoffinDrop1, January 03, 2010, 01:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoffinDrop1

Sup Peeps!

Having a bit of trouble trying to get my Fight stick working with MAME.

I've seen a few laptops in use at various gatherings set up with sticks and was hoping to get the same for my PC for some of the Fighter games particularly SF.

Issue: SF2 World Warrior works fine with keyboard controls. When I press TAB and attempt to reconfigure the controls for my Fight Stick the buttons / joystick does not respond at all.

Operating System = Windows XP 2002
Mame version = MAME32 0.90u1
Fight Stick = SF4 Tournament Edition for PS3

Tried downloading the xbcd drivers but most of the links on srk forums are dead and I wasnt sure if this would work for the PS3 stick either.http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=141775&highlight=hori+MAME

The stick is recognised by the PC when I plug it in. I have tested buttons etc in Control Panel - Game Controllers and settings are all perfect there.

Any of our resident Guru's able to help a brother out?

stereomonkey

Download GGPO and use that.  It comes with the emulator FinalBurnAlpha (which you have to find in the folder you install it too) and play them from that.  It has a easy button setup too.  

Also you will be able to play online with a little adjustments ;)

EDIT: Your stiick should be fine, just use FBA instead since mame is bolo!
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

fluxcore

Depending on which mame you are using, you may have to ENABLE the ability to use joysticks as input, either in a configuration tab or in the config file. Possibly even need to enable Direct Input. That should sort you out & allow you to map buttons.

But yeah, MAME is actually kind of crappy for most things. Only MAME-only games like UMK3 are worth playing in it imo, otherwise use the GGPO implementation of FBA, since it changes a few things for the better.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

CoffinDrop1

Thanks Stereo and Flux - will check out GGPO later tonight and post back.  :D

CoffinDrop1

Ok I tried the GGPO thing and found the FB exe - tried to run a couple of SF roms there however they had some sound and graphics files missing so they wouldn't run. Do you guys purchase the rom files to play on GGPO? I guess coz I tried free roms they are not as trust worthy per say. As that was the case I didnt go any further there.

Flux your suggestion on configuration definately helped. I checked out options and in game options which had a tick box for "allow game controllers" once I ticked that then I was able to successfully configure buttons using the Tab option I had tried previously.

Thanks for your help again guys - definately allowed me to get some final answers on this.

stereomonkey

You have to have the right roms.  Go to this link and download the correct roms because it sounds like your trying to use clones and not the original rom.  When it comes to the fighting games download the rom that has "popular" next to it.  Most cases it will be the original rom need to play :)

I'm highly thinking about putting a rapidshare link for packs of roms that people would be interested in.  Either that or I burn a dvd with all the correct roms to use on ggpo and hand it out.
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

massi4h

I know I've found the correct GGPO roms when I've googled "download GGPO roms" of course I don't do that I'm just being hypothetical.

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

lol  :D

Also you can just go into ggpo and click to play the game you want .
It will say you need the ....zip file to play , just copy and paste that into google to make sure you have the right rom.zip file
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "