• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

WWBWD?

Main Menu

Forum back up...

Started by fluxcore, February 08, 2010, 07:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

Well, see what you guys think of this.

Darker green than before.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

samurai black

Quote from: ILL_BILL on February 10, 2010, 12:20:05 AM
Im not sure what youre looking for in terms of a standout. I personally think the text should be the main focus, with the fern as the background image, but i reckon the fern itself is solid.

if the text is the main focus, then theres no point in having a fern that complicated.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

If you make the text bigger, it distracts from the complexity, but doesnt take away any of the wow factor.

Old Logo

Me having a 30 second Jam in MSP, and replacing the text with the standard one, and increasing the size.

It would obviously need to be done BETTER. ie. not in 30s in MSP with a fucking eraser tool >_>, with a font that isnt ugly etc. edit: And with a fucking apostrophe in "New Zealand's"

But the point im getting at is that in the first one, your eye is drawn to the fern, which is great, because it looks cool, but it lacks in the 'advertising the site' area.

The second one, although it looks crude as all hell, (Mike's one still looks HEAPS better) draws the eye to the text. So while it retains a lot of what makes the old logo great, it kind of gets the point across a bit better. So youre thinking, 'thats a logo for nzism', rather than 'look at that flash logo. oh its for nzism.'

I hate to dredge up a topic thats like 2 years old, but i also think cammy/bison need to be dropped for some non-capcom fighters. Much as i like them, the community is broadening its interest outside of SF4 now, so i think the logo should reflect that somewhat. This is also the reason i went with the generic text instead of the original. If the complexity of the logo is still an issue, maybe drop cammy completely and replace bison and chun or maybe guile?

This is maybe what i would do, but keep in mind this is coming from someone who DOESNT design logo's for a living, like im sure a lot of you probably do. And im sure there are heaps of you out there that could do it HEAPS better justice than me.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Additionally Alan im liking it. Its a little army maybe but its all good. I actually like that its slightly different to the colour in the logo. Maybe not QUITE there, but definitely feeling more NZism.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

I'm going to straight up say what I think of Mike's logo:

1) It's awesome for large scale print media.

2) It is completely unworkable for any web presence.

For an elaboration on 2, It's far too complex to be able to be scaled down to any usable degree. Any useful logo must be either insanely scalable or be wider than it is tall; The fern is square and cannot be stretched for reasons relating to its complexity.

I have in the past been asked to provide an NZism banner for advertising use, and it's just not possible to use the fern logo. An alternative logo is being devised.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

So realisitcally were looking at something more like this?

God. MSP sucks. These just keep getting worse. If i had photoshop, i would rotate the fern a few degrees just so that the image was longer and narrower. As well as do a myriad of other things to make it not hideous. If that were the case, would it be getting towards being more workable? Or still too complex?
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Well, where can you fit an image that size? Certainly not at the top of the page, and certainly not in any banner ad. Try shrink it by 50% and see how little detail there is left, and it's STILL way too big to really be usable.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Ahh yea. I see what youre getting at now. Needs some tweaking but for the most part i think something similar could prove useable. Im SURE there must be a way to keep a decent amount of Detail. Especially since ive just downscaled it in MSP, which fucks the quality over at the best of times, since it doesn't keep the shape uniform.

<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

zos'la

Using PS would make it much clearer and will look much better, btw good work WIll using the MSP LOL.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

samurai black

photoshop wont save it at that scale.

and what happened to your avatar, the christina aguilera one was way better  :D

fluxcore

Unfortunately images are displayed pixel for pixel. Increasing the pixel density effectively just makes the image bigger, so no, you can't make it look higher quality and appear smaller.

stereomonkey

Quote from: zosla on February 10, 2010, 02:23:01 PM
Using PS would make it much clearer and will look much better, btw good work WIll using the MSP LOL.

MSP, what else can you use them for ;)

"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

samurai black

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.