• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

NZism Proudly Presents - NZ Fighting Game Nationals 2010

Started by Lennysaurus, April 21, 2010, 08:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

im entering everything.....so im bound to win something dammit :P
The New Generation Clockw0rk

Lennysaurus

Basically we are using XBOX360 due to the fact that they provide a far less laggy gaming experience with the hardware that we currently have.

Please guys make sure you sort out your stick issues as soon as you can.  Although you can ask to use someone elses stick, if possible in a tournament you REALLY should be using your own, as you dont want to be messing shit up mid game.

Couple of options are:

Dual mod.  The following PCB would be pretty easy to dual mod any stick with, and with NZs dollar like it is atm, shouldnt be too bad http://www.etokki.com/Joytron%20Paewang%20Revolution%20PCB%20Only

For PS2 sticks, a converter: http://www.etokki.com/Joytron%20Paewang%20Revolution%20PCB%20Only
This converter has been tested by Laugh and Markman and found to be lag free.  That converter plus a second hand 360 pad off trade me shouldnt set you back more than a hundred bucks.

If you guys are asked to play, and you dont have a stick handy... you will likely have to use the Giga sticks, which are okay i guess, but the button layout is a bit bolo.

TBH, I would much rather use PS3, as there are far more sticks floating around for it, but alas we are in a situation where that option is not feasible.

For the PS2 games... (only SF3:3S atm) I will have two namco sticks available for use.  Once again though bringing your own if you have one will likely be the best option.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

Lennysaurus

On another note keep this thread spam free.  Its will be a useful spot for Q & A regarding the tourney, and having thirty odd pages of inane crap will make trying to find info for genuinely interested people difficult.

geneterror

Quote from: The Lenny 2.0 on April 23, 2010, 09:45:09 AMPlease guys make sure you sort out your stick issues as soon as you can.  Although you can ask to use someone elses stick, if possible in a tournament you REALLY should be using your own, as you dont want to be messing shit up mid game.

I'm not trying to stir shit or spam here but for a $40+ entry fee that most of us will pay I would expect the bare minimum of consistent equipment to be sorted by the event not the people attending, anything else just seems unprofessional. By consistent I mean at least two sticks that are the same not one person gets a Giga stick and one gets a TE if they're lucky.
It's just frustrating because I have 2 PS3 sticks that I would happily contribute but I can't because of the chosen platform. I already have 3 non NZism regulars psyched about this that own no stick whatsoever but they play semi regularly at my house using my PS3 sticks.

I say this because we are trying to attract newcomers and to be honest a non regular will turn up to the tournament expecting the bare minimum of equipment to be provided and for it to be consistent. It seems elitist and uneven footing for newcomers if a bunch of people are walking around with their TE's and then when it's their turn (possibly their first tourney game) they get handed obviously inferior equipment to use.

Once again not trying to stir, I'm just putting it out there if we're trying to look professional. Although in saying that I am totally for a no pads rule ;)

I expect you to to let me use your stick(s) anyway Lenny haha. Plus I need you to come over and fix my Namco so we can have a jam on CvS2 ;D
KOW 2011

fluxcore

Probably 40% of my time at the last nats was trying to sort out which consoles which people could play on due to a mix of people wanting to play only on ps3s or xboxes due to their favoured stick. I think I did a pretty fucking good job but there is no way I want to do it again.

While it would be preferable to use ps3s due to available equipment, the lack of other venues combined with the tvs at GIGA makes it not possible.

As for the 'seeming professional' thing, there is no way we can be professional with 0 budget. We can only hope to be as close as possible.

I think a lot of you are asking far more from our community than is currently possible. If you can do a better job, feel free. As you may have noticed I'm rapidly losing enthusiasm for spending so much of my time and money trying to do the best I can.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Lennysaurus

Yeah I know Graeme... (or is it Graham?)

Its sort of a rock and a hard place issue atm.  We are going to have to run at least 3 setups to make this work.  And asking someone to give us thier TE stick to let complete strangers use is a big ask.  Also justifying NZism using the tourney money to buy 6 TE sticks is really difficult.

TBH with you graham, for a person that is new to the game, using the Giga sticks will be fine.  They have sanwa parts and to refer to them as the less than the bare minimum is probably not an apt description, its just that for some of us that have been spoiled with HRAP's and TE's we may find it difficult.

I'm not demanding people go buy another stick, or dual mod their own one.  If you sort out with someone to use their stick that is fine.  I am merely asking that people do it sooner, rather than be called for a match and have to wander around asking people for a stick, cause this event is going to be a nightmare to run.

I know you aren't stirring Graham (or Graeme), and these questions need to be answered.  Also you may use my stick, but be warned I may have to manipulate the bracket so that we face off, so that I can lame you out with Sim again :) and before the match I will quite happily hand you a Giga stick to use, with possibly the largest smile on my face ever to grace a handsome young Maori boy.

massi4h

Well my TE will be up for use and I'm sure others will lend theirs out as well. I do really only wanna let people I already know use my stick, cause random mashers will come up now and then.

samurai black

geneterror

Alan, I totally understand I'm REALLY not trying to be a dick. I've flushed a bit of my own money down the toilet organising Hardcore shows with no thanks whatsoever (except from the bands). We had a nightmare with the Shai Hulud tour especially after some fuck stole some of their equipment. I know what's involved in organising an event of any size and trying to keep everyone happy.

I'm just trying to look at it from more than one perspective. It's hard to tell people you have 0 budget when a lot of people will be paying $40+ to enter, they will wonder why the organisers can't provide the bare minimum of equipment for a $40 entry fee which lets face it is a bit of money to some people.

In my opinion we should just have the same two TE sticks plugged in for the whole day so everyone is using the same gear and surely this would solve the problem of setting up/changing over sticks and doing button checks all day. If we were running this on arcade machines then nobody would be able to complain about how they want to use their super special stick anyway. This gives everyone an even footing. Of course I don't know if you guys are planning on running more than one game at a time. Obviously the PS2 games are a different story anyway but if Lenny can fix my Namco I'm happy to volunteer it for the whole day.

As usual I'm happy to help out in any way possible and help you save money where I can (I'll be printing you guys posters for free etc prob including a couple of A1s or A0s if I'm nice to my boss).

I'm not trying to argue or run anyone down I'm honestly just trying to help and put forward what I consider are genuine concerns.

If my post is considered spam then feel free to delete it.
KOW 2011

fluxcore

Ok so how many people will be happy with no prize money at all then? Because taking out venue hire fee that's all that's left. The last couple of events I've run I paid the venue fee personally to make the pot more attractive. As I said, I don't get enough of a good feeling from this community anymore to want to continue that.

And $5 per entrant as pot is not very large even as it is. Honestly, there's no money sloshing around here.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

geneterror

Fuck I never thought or said there is any money sloshing going on around here. Like I said I know a lot of people involved in organising shows etc and we regularly pay money out of our own pockets to organise shows over here to get to see international bands we wouldn't normally get a chance to see. Trust me I know how hard it is to find cheap all ages venues and how much they cost etc.

My concern was just trying to get an equal footing for everyone.

Alan, some of us are extremely grateful for giving us this site and this tournament even if you're not feeling the love from everyone I'll give you a big hug next time I see you, or slap some sense into you whatever you want ;)

Anyway it seems to be covered so I'll just crawl back in my hole and get back to designing the poster :'(
KOW 2011

fluxcore

I'm sorry if I sound aggressive or whatever, I do understand where you're coming from. And where everyone else is coming from too, believe it or not. That's part of the problem, because there is really no way to make everyone happy (least of all me due to that!)

I guess people just have to trust that we really are doing the best we can. It may not seem like it to many people, that some issues are getting overlooked (lag, platform, whatever), but I assure you all we DO know the issues and DO appreciate what they mean. Sometimes when you propose you just kneel in shit I guess.

zos'la

just a suggestion.
we can use the PS3 if:

Get LCD monitors which are 20-26 inch wih game mode and low ms, I'm sure many of us have one sitting at home including myself. Using HDMI with SF4 currently I do not feel any lag or use a HDMI to VGA? but correct me if I am wrong :)

And Alan\ Lenny is right about the cost, its very expensive... not to mention having to beg people to lend their sticks out.
Its a Pain but we have no choice.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Rorooze

Organising a tourney is pretty difficult and it's impossible to please everyone. Ages ago I used to play QW/Q3 and helped run some online tournaments some of the shit that I had to put up with was so retarded, agitating and frustrating. I dread to think what having to organise a live event is like.

Graeme, or any of the nzism guys can use my stick if they want. :o

CptMunta

Quote from: fluxcore on April 23, 2010, 10:38:19 AM
Probably 40% of my time at the last nats was trying to sort out which consoles which people could play on due to a mix of people wanting to play only on ps3s or xboxes due to their favoured stick. I think I did a pretty fucking good job but there is no way I want to do it again.

Thanks for that Alan, me and my fuckin' double spring modded SE. Setting up my matches must have been a nightmare. ;) The second spring has been removed now thankfully :)

Maybe make a stick Donation thread or just update the original post with guys that are willing to lend their 360/PS2 stick.
That way at least you'd get an idea of numbers when it comes to gear and what not so you know how many setups you have to fall back on just in case.

With money this tight you probably couldn't give the stick donators something back, like free entry to one game. They'll just have to be paid in warm fuzzies.  :)

Also is running 3S on Emu too dodgy? That way you could just plug in pretty much any stick if you got the right drivers. The numbers for 3S might make this a non issue.

Quote from: zosla on April 23, 2010, 12:06:54 PM
just a suggestion.
we can use the PS3 if:

Get LCD monitors which are 20-26 inch wih game mode and low ms, I'm sure many of us have one sitting at home including myself. Using HDMI with SF4 currently I do not feel any lag or use a HDMI to VGA? but correct me if I am wrong :)

And Alan\ Lenny is right about the cost, its very expensive... not to mention having to beg people to lend their sticks out.
Its a Pain but we have no choice.

Isn't Giga completely choca with LCD Monitors already? Are most of them DVI compatible? also they'll have speakers too right which you could hook up to PS3s with a cheap cable (5 bucks or less). You guys have probably thought of this option.

I'm gutted I'll be still overseas when this is on  :'( But if you guys need any help from my end feel free to holla out. I'll try and sus out something to send the south islands best if I have time before I head off.

Shame I can't do some Pavement art outside Giga from here to promote the event. Wish there was a stream I could watch from Hamburg. Will just have to settle for match footage :) Also anyone filming, shoot the event and setup. It's cool to get an idea of turnout and shenanigans.
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta