• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

PSN acount information compromised

Started by Flash, April 27, 2011, 11:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flash

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/sony-admits-utter-psn-failure-your-personal-data-has-been-stolen.ars

QuoteSony admits utter PSN failure: your personal data has been stolen
By Ben Kuchera | Last updated about 2 hours ago

Sony has finally come clean about the "external intrusion" that has caused the company to take down the PlayStation Network service, and the news is almost as bad as it can possibly get. The hackers have all your personal information, although Sony is still unsure about whether your credit card data is safe. Everything else on file when it comes to your account is in the hands of the hackers.

In other words, Sony's security has failed in a spectacular fashion, and we're just now finding out about it. In both practical and PR terms, this is a worst-case scenario.

What did they get?

Here is the data that Sony is sure has been compromised if you have a PlayStation Network Account:

Your name
Your address (city, state, and zip)
Country
E-mail address
Birthday
PSN password and login name
"It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained," Sony announced. While the company claims that there is "no evidence" that credit card information has been compromised, it won't rule out the possibility.

Their advice is to be safe, rather than sorry. "If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

What can you do?

You are warned to keep watch over your accounts, and to be aware of your heightened risk of fraud due to the security breach. "For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of e-mail, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information," the company said. "Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information."

Sony has also provided a wealth of sources for data and protection against identity theft.

You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.
To be fair, Sony does apologize for the inconvenience. There is still no update on when service will be restored, but that is the least of your concerns if you have a PlayStation Network account. It's time to change your passwords, at the very least, and if you're like to be completely safe it's not a bad idea to cancel your credit or debit cards and request replacements.

We'll continue to follow this story as it develops.

****Up or i'll scratch yo face with my stubby little arms!

CptMunta

Fucking hell that is huge!

75 million accounts though, I wonder what happens now? Is it just 1 guy? Hopefully it's just to proove a point. No reports from customers saying PSN has randomly billed them or spending sprees happening on PSN members credit cards after a whole week.

Shit could get helluva dodgy though. Cancel my debit card I guess. I can imagine a ton of people jumping ship to Xbox after this though. This guy raises some good points though:
http://forums.sarcasticgamer.com/showpost.php?p=645846&postcount=7

Get your shit sorted before AE drops Sony.
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

Chocobuny

Sigh I think my PSN password is my password to other stuff. Argh this is way more annoying than I first thought

CptMunta

Quote from: Chocobuny on April 27, 2011, 12:39:31 PM
Sigh I think my PSN password is my password to other stuff. Argh this is way more annoying than I first thought

Yeah i better start changing stuff up too just to be sure :( Network outage sounds like it'll be quite a while if it already this bad :(
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

originaljulz

Maaaan ffs what is up with this shit. I don't wanna change all my passwords and cancel my credit card all because of this.
HEAVEN OR HELL? DUAL ONE. LETS ROCK!

Skullator

Wouldnt bother cancelling your credit card, they didn't get the 3 digit security codes.

electric

Quote from: Skullator on April 27, 2011, 01:47:54 PM
Wouldnt bother cancelling your credit card, they didn't get the 3 digit security codes.

3 digit security codes are hardly ever required to make actual transactions
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

Skullator

I thought online it was common requirement?

electric

Quote from: Skullator on April 27, 2011, 02:03:54 PM
I thought online it was common requirement?

They're optional for DPS transactions - at least this was the case the last time I built a payment gateway which was maybe 6 months ago
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

Skullator

Gutted, well isn't that going to be a pain to fix..

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Goddammit. My password is the one i use for everything except my bank account and email, not that it matters if my debit card details are out there. Guess Ill change my facebook password, but i probably wont do much else. Though I will probably cancel my debit card as well just to be safe.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

CrazyMobius

But are the hackers actually interested in using that information? I mean if they are hackers they could have easily gotten that information from other sources anyway.

Lennysaurus

insert obligitory XBOX360>GaystationFree statement

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

CrazyMobius

I'm all for getting an Xbox. Just too expensive is all. I'd still keep my PS3 though.

Rorooze

yeah but look how many people's details they got all at once. I wouldn't be surprised if some of it got used or sold on for other people to commit fraud.