• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

PSN acount information compromised

Started by Flash, April 27, 2011, 11:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xFIST_0F_FURYx

Hahaha you should go to xbox
Quote from: Chocobuny on May 01, 2011, 09:52:07 PM
I just wanted 1 free ps1 game, no one wants shitty PSplus and I'm going to bet the free downloads are going to be for the most terrible games that don't sell in the first place. QQ.
thn :P

LN

Quote from: electric on April 28, 2011, 01:43:36 PM

BUT I WILL NEVER FORGIVE THEM FOR STORING MY PASSWORD AS PLAIN TEXT.

There is absolutely, without a doubt, NO excuse for not hashing passwords at the VERY LEAST.

But they need to in order to be able to send your password out to you in case you forget!!!
There is no knowledge that is not power

[NIUE] weazzyefff

I hate it when other places send you a shitty long as fuck temp password you gotta write down or some shit.

BUT now i know why those places do it. I haven't needed a psn one before. But i'm sure they would do that as well.

I hope the free game is a cool one. i don't even know what playstaion plus does.

I'm just glad it's gonna be up again soon. Just in time for me not being able to play it. Good one Sony you fuckwits hahahhahahahah.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

CptMunta

I'm pretty happy with the compensation.
PSplus basically gives you a bunch of games for free anyways. Some of the games are full games like assassins creed, infamous etc or retro games like sonic 1&2 and ps1 games. So you could think of it as a months free rentals.

Also free access to betas and I think this month it's uncharted 3s demo and infamous 2's mission editing mode or something.

I think it would hella cheeky if we are given our free psplus while the ps store is down making it pretty much redundant lol.

EDIT: actually May's content is actually looking pretty weak (apart from streets of rage 2)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-06-playstation-plus-april-and-may-content

Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

Chocobuny

Sigh. I'm really not surprised. Thx sony. Really going to remember this when I buy my next console when the newest batch comes out.

Elixir

Is it just me, or does the compensation feel like a trap?

Obviously, people have changed their credit cards via their respective companies, and Sony's whole existence is to get money out of you. The PSN+ service is for a month, and if you want to continue, you're going to have to add your credit card details into PSN again.

A month after the servers were hacked, and credit card information was leaked. From said servers which weren't encrypted but "hashed" '(this means fuck all, but I won't continue).

???

Yeah, right.

jsculls

My two cents:

Credit Card information compromise - Not tragic(even if it has occurred), from a safety perspective as long as you report suspect transactions within a reasonable period (2 months if my memory serves) you're pretty safe in getting your money back. The important thing is to check your statements when you get them and if anything seems out of whack contact your bank/credit card provider.

Downtime - Unacceptable. It's incomprehensible to me that this outage continues for more than two weeks. Yes, they do have to rebuild the network, yes they do have to make sure it's secure and yes it was an external intrusion.
Here's the big hairy but, consider if apple's iTunes product was down for two weeks, consider if your banks internet banking was down for two weeks. They're faced with similar challenges in terms of security so why are they able to deliver a consistent service, if one of those things goes down the outage time is measured in minutes not days or weeks!

Compensation - Honestly I could care less about a compensation package. I will however say that store credit to the value of a 30 day playstation plus package would be more appealling than a 30 day playstation plus package. Then I could use it for what I want (most likely save it for AE or buy the SSFIV costumes). This fits a wider audience than the casual gamer that the playstation plus seems to be aimed at.

What I'll be doing about it - Switching to XBOX at the first given opportunity. So frustrating that I just bought a TE for PS3 shoulda gotten a(n?) xbox one.

Elixir

Quote from: jsculls on May 03, 2011, 12:08:24 AM
My two cents:

Credit Card information compromise - Not tragic(even if it has occurred), from a safety perspective as long as you report suspect transactions within a reasonable period (2 months if my memory serves) you're pretty safe in getting your money back. The important thing is to check your statements when you get them and if anything seems out of whack contact your bank/credit card provider.

Downtime - Unacceptable. It's incomprehensible to me that this outage continues for more than two weeks. Yes, they do have to rebuild the network, yes they do have to make sure it's secure and yes it was an external intrusion.
Here's the big hairy but, consider if apple's iTunes product was down for two weeks, consider if your banks internet banking was down for two weeks. They're faced with similar challenges in terms of security so why are they able to deliver a consistent service, if one of those things goes down the outage time is measured in minutes not days or weeks!

Compensation - Honestly I could care less about a compensation package. I will however say that store credit to the value of a 30 day playstation plus package would be more appealling than a 30 day playstation plus package. Then I could use it for what I want (most likely save it for AE or buy the SSFIV costumes). This fits a wider audience than the casual gamer that the playstation plus seems to be aimed at.

What I'll be doing about it - Switching to XBOX at the first given opportunity. So frustrating that I just bought a TE for PS3 shoulda gotten a(n?) xbox one.

I can hook you up with a stick, just let me know what you're after. See here.

originaljulz

HEAVEN OR HELL? DUAL ONE. LETS ROCK!

stereomonkey

No beef with you jsculls.   After reading your post I wanted to say what I've been feeling about since this outage started.

I just don't understand it.  Literally the part that I'm having the most trouble understanding is why free PSN users feel that it is only right for Sony to compensate for the outage of PSN?  I mean, you purchased a console, not the online component.  Hey, yes they are trying to compensate for the security issue but why are they obligated to provide more than just an apology for a service that they offer for free?  I mean again, it's FREE to play online.  You're not getting the short end of the stick by any means.

The real people that have a right to vent their spleen are those who have a subscription based product that uses the services of PSN i.e. PSN Plus, DC universe online and so forth.  The people that pay for a service that is not being provided to them due to the outage.

I mean, the reason why Microsoft gave it's XBL gold members something was because they had paid for a online subscription to their services that was not being fulfilled due the an outage. With that money they gain from a XBL subscription goes towards maintaining the network, supplying new and interesting content and keeping things in check.  Now look at Sony, who give 74 million or so users free access to their online networks without any stable revenue to maintain that network.  To be honest Sony has done a very good job in keeping the network as secure as the can while providing the online services to many happy gamers which is quite awesome.

Come on PSN users, why give up something that has done well for you in the past to only leave it at the fist sign of insecurity?
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

electric

Quote from: stereomonkey on May 03, 2011, 01:16:37 AMCome on PSN users, why give up something that has done well for you in the past to only leave it at the fist sign of insecurity?

The problem I have with Sony goes back to when they first dropped OtherOS support from the slims - then for them to take away OtherOS support from existing consoles - something that was an advertised feature and a selling point for some consumers, then mask it as a "security update" ? That's pretty fucking low.

Their entire security model was based on the assumption that their clients would never be compromised - this is just fucking lazy.

Their servers ran outdated software with known security issues. This is also just fucking lazy.

IMO, the people behind PSN are a bunch of muppets - but hey, this can be said of practically every corporate organization, right ? :D

I've been wanting to jump ship for ages, but I could never really justify it. Until now
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

massi4h

Well it's not free by all means. It's a reason to buy the console and would a ps3 cost the same amount if online didn't exist? People bought their ps3s and part of the package was getting online play for all their games with it. This is one thing that people bitch about the xbox and that's why they buy ps3.

stereomonkey

No.  It was a selling point, NOT the actual product being sold.
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

geneterror

Like Stu said people demanding compensation are crazy and jumping ship over this, the TOS you agreed to when started using the console say they can take it down whenever they want. I'm not to fussed about compensation. I don't care about PSN+ there is nothing I want to get from there. I just want to make sure I get a free month of DC Universe as the subscription I paid got used once or twice before it went down and by the time it's up again I'll have to pay another $25 :P.

I'll be sticking with PS3. Even though I have an Xbox now the only games I play on it are fighters the bulk of the games I want are still PS3 exclusives ie. Yakuza series, Disgaea 4 soon and I'm real psyched for inFamous 2 as the first one is my favourite non-fighter of this generation along with RDR. Also the fact I can import games is still a HUGE thing for me.
KOW 2011