• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Wugga is eating uppercuts

Main Menu

Tournament August 09 feedback

Started by zos'la, August 18, 2009, 09:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zos'la

This thread is for thsoe who wish to discuss about the past tournament and give advice on improvements or suggestions.
Feel free to put your 2 cents here but do try to stay on topic.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Will

Only thing I can think of is having 1 or 2 casual setups available throughout the whole day, apart from that everything was wicked.  :D
Learning....

samurai black

a casual set up wouldve been ace. we kinda got that once the majority of the tournament was through though.

fluxcore

Yeah we wanted to have a couple of casual setups but I didn't have any time to get any set up, and they would have been off to the side somewhere anyway. Will try harder next time though!
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Gino

Maybe start the even earlier? 11am?

HoneyBadger

Wouldn't it be better to use the would be causal setups to run more matches? That way we could get bigger and better finals. + the previously discussed single console format or sticks only
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: Smoofikith on August 18, 2009, 12:21:45 PM
Wouldn't it be better to use the would be causal setups to run more matches? That way we could get bigger and better finals. + the previously discussed single console format or sticks only
That's right. Casual setups will draw attention away from interesting matches, everyone will spread out and the hype will be reduced.
It would be nice if we have casual matches after tournament also.

Quote from: Gino on August 18, 2009, 12:19:20 PM
Maybe start the even earlier? 11am?
Maybe 12. I think we need time to setup the consoles and wait for players to come also.

What's about holding the event at Giga instead of RVB ?? Since giga opens 24/7, we don't have to rush to finish the tournament before 6pm/7pm

ABC_SMN

Does anyone thought of starting at like 6pm? and finish. Whatever time its take.
It will be crazy and it is the first time we are all staying till late.
Like last time after the tourny. Most of us went there and stay until like 2 or 3.

zos'la

Quote from: ABC_SMN on August 18, 2009, 01:58:16 PM
Does anyone thought of starting at like 6pm? and finish. Whatever time its take.
Like last time after the tourny. Most of us went there and stay until like 2 or 3.

1: because they will charge you 2x-4x the amount of retal for the venue
2: because people will be half dead after 10 pm as most people are not up till that late and also people tend to get tired and can not perform their best.
3: After tourny everyone will go home since they are dead by then :) where as if we start earlier we can still fit dinner afterwards and gaming time as well so people can actualyl catch up during this time where they couldn't during the tourny.

fluxcore

Yeah but how many setups/people can giga realistically take? Would be AWESOME to not have the time constraints though!!!
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: fluxcore on August 18, 2009, 02:13:07 PM
Yeah but how many setups/people can giga realistically take? Would be AWESOME to not have the time constraints though!!!
we can try to talk to giga and see. At the moment, we can have 3 consoles. I'm sure people are keen to bring their consoles & sticks if we need more. Not sure about TV & space though.

Cr8zyK1LL3r

I'm happy that this guy is not running a tournament. Lucky that we have Alan and Lenny to handle them.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: Cr8zyK1LL3r on August 18, 2009, 02:17:21 PM
I'm happy that this guy is not running a tournament. Lucky that we have Alan and Lenny to handle them.

Haha. I can picture what a simon-run tournament would be like. There would only be one rule.

Rule #1: Simon Wins
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Lennysaurus

If there is going to be a major tourney at Giga, I am more than happy to bring my 32inch LCD along to make another setup.  Provided everyone helps look after it.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

zos'la

I can not agree more lol.
I beleive Giga is more than happy to run 4 setups which includes teh big projector if there is no lag, else we can bring our own LCD if need be?
But remember these tournament won't be as big as previous ones so 3 setup should be by far enought. Also I am sure they won't put a time constrant like RVB but it would be good if we can try and finish on time and if not advise them in advance so they can sort their stuff out if they have any plans. At most they will just say an entra $10 bucks per hour per pod which we can easily compensate for the 3 setups :)

I'll have to check witht eh boss for some good deals, if they can not provide us close or better deals than we currently have with RvB then just leave it with RvB.

Be realistic.