• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

Looking for a stick with PS1/2 and 360 compatibility

Started by DangerMouse, February 05, 2010, 02:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DangerMouse

Hey guys, I'm looking for a stick to use with my ps1 and ps2 as well as the 360, I have no interest in ps3 at the moment and am not very knowledgeable about how this all works. I'm mainly interested in playing shmups so am looking at the HRAP EX-SE with seimitsu parts. So I am wondering if it's possible to add a dual mod similar to how you would for ps3/360 but instead with a ps1 pad for the ps1/2 compatibility and if that was possible on the HRAP EX-SE as I read something about common ground etc. but have no idea what that is all about, or if there are other options which would be better. Any help is appreciated, cheers.

zos'la

My custome stick is using a ps1/ps2 pcb board.
Get a converter for xbox360, PC, PS3 with no hassles at all.
That would be my choice.

Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Lennysaurus

Quote from: DangerMouse on February 05, 2010, 02:43:40 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a stick to use with my ps1 and ps2 as well as the 360, I have no interest in ps3 at the moment and am not very knowledgeable about how this all works. I'm mainly interested in playing shmups so am looking at the HRAP EX-SE with seimitsu parts. So I am wondering if it's possible to add a dual mod similar to how you would for ps3/360 but instead with a ps1 pad for the ps1/2 compatibility and if that was possible on the HRAP EX-SE as I read something about common ground etc. but have no idea what that is all about, or if there are other options which would be better. Any help is appreciated, cheers.

Unforttunately the HRAP EX pcb is not common ground so you wont be able to dual mod it.  A better option might be to get a TE or normal fighstick instead and dual mod that.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

DangerMouse

Ok, thanks, I was thinking of getting an HRAP1 or 2 and using the converter for 360 but the old sticks are proving fairly impossible to find. So I guess a custom stick is another route I could look at if adding the ps1/2 functionality to the HRAP EX-SE (easily available) is too difficult.

zos'la

yeah with teh official sticks these days not all of them are easy to mod and if you get it wrong its a big cost there.

Like I said, a Ps1/2 pcb + converter is all you need, its cheap and easy to find.

here are some pics of my sticks^^

Barnstorm

i dont recomend a custom unless you have time and money
if you talking bout doin it yourself you need good woodworking skill and some soldering knowledge just for ps2 but for 360 you need to be resonably confident

i think it would be better to buy a ps2 stick and use a convertor or get 2 sticks/dual mod a TE(expensive but onsale for 99 $US today at amazon and hopefully they ship here)

zos'la

custom stick are cheap, you dont always have to make the box, just by a cheat stick for $30-$50 NZD and remove the parts, put in some sanwas with teh pcb board and wala, its MUCH cheaper to do so.

Personally I like to design/ make my own sticks so I go along the path building it myself. it saves me tons of case as I end up with a superior stick.

fluxcore

I don't recommend using a converter for anything -> 360, or any converter at all really. If you can find a ps2 stick and somehow also find the magical un-lagging ps2->360 converter, then more power to you.

The *best* way to do it would be to buy a 360 stick (TE perhaps) and then get a Chimp kit from Toodles on SRK. With the right cables you'll have a stick that will work on pretty much any system you want. However that's fairly involved, there are a bunch of guides around though.

I feel like posting a link to google image search for sticks just to one-up Andy.

Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

DangerMouse

So leaving custom sticks aside, that's my absolute last resort, How difficult is it to add ps1/2 support to the TE stick? And can the stick in the TE be swapped out for a Seimitsu LS-32?

Also about the converter flux, I read this article where a guy was testing the Xconverter 360 (ps2 -> 360) in VF5 dojo mode and concluded that it had no lag, something to do with turbo mode and registering delay.

zos'la

haha Alan u always like that^^ but prompts to you as you and Ben has taught me quiet a bit with modding :)

its too much hassle these days for the dual modding and stuff as 360 is a pain in teh ass.
I would just go out and buy a stick made from the inhuman chiese which are already dual moded but they come in crap parts, so just remove them and put sanwa/semeitsu in.
TE = $200-$300 + that dual mod board pcb toddlers or whatever its called = $100???

man thats ONE expensive stick^^

the prices are just my guess and not to be taken as accurate as i cbf checking lawl.

fluxcore

You can definitely put the seimitsu in a TE, Although I don't really think it's necessary. The Sanwa is fine really, even though I know some places say the seimitsu is a bit better for shmups.

There are a couple of ways you could add PS1/2 support. The more involved way would be to go the whole hog with a Chimp kit (http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=162026) which is by far the most awesome way.
Alternatively you could dual mod the stick with a standard PS1 or PS2 controller, as long as it's common ground. The Series A dual shock is a common choice for this.

As for the converter... oh yeah, I see you can get it from http://www.etokki.com/Joytron%20Xconverter%20360%20Plus
Definitely the easiest option, if you can find a decent PS2 stick.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

DangerMouse

Thanks heaps for the replies so far, the seimitsu stick thing is not really that important just something I was wondering, because apparently the HRAP Amazon JP edition cannot take that stick. A decent ps2 stick seems impossible to find so looks like I'll be getting a TE.

From SRK thread:
Q: What about other consoles like PSX, Gamecube, and Xbox1 supported on the MC Cthulhu?
A: They are not and cannot be made to work on the Chimp.

Does this mean I need the MC cthulu as opposed to the chimp? I have 4 or so ps1 pads lying around at home also, and that seems like a good option as I do not need gamecube and xbox 1 support as with the PS1/2 support, finding good converters will allow use on all consoles, but most importantly my Dreamcast  ;D

fluxcore

Ah ok, yeah, didn't know the chimp doesn't support that. MC Cthulu is the awesome option then. PS1 pad hack still is an option if you don't mind a bit of wiring/soldering etc, and one of the pads you have is common ground. Check out http://slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_wiring.html for the list of ps2 pads and whether they are common ground or not.

However, you might want to look at one of Andy's PS2/PC sticks in conjunction with that 360 converter though. The cases aren't the best, but the parts are fine and technically it should all do what you want...

Lennysaurus

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

geneterror

OK so all this technical shit is over my head PCBs, common ground all might as well be another language to me.

I have 2 PS3 TE sticks and 2 old PS1 non-analogue controllers. I want to be able to use the TE sticks on my PS2 as well as PS3.
Can any of you do this for me in return for:
Free design work
Weed
Getting to hang out with me

I just don't have the skills or tools.
KOW 2011