• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

ISP ADSL2+ Questions who's da best?

Started by CptMunta, February 20, 2010, 03:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zos'la

hmm I'll upload mine later tonight, I'm with a company called Megatel, I believe they run off the Telstra lines??? Did a traceroute once and I think it went to Telstra, anyways its adsl 2 supported and with 90 Gigs for $70 NZD/ month for me.
Uplaod and download speed is set to the maximum my line can take and that erally depends on how far I am away from the exchange etc.

But I think I get no lag playing SF4 online with some of the guys here who has a decent connection as well. Up with the speed test when I get home.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Barnstorm

is adsl just shit for upload?

cos mines at least 2 up

electric

Upload is always going to be inherently balls with ADSL, as it's asymmetric
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

maelgrim

Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

samurai black

is this good? i just changed this morning.

fluxcore

luckily there are a bunch of other results you can compare against in this very thread! :)
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

maelgrim

Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

B BOY DRAW2

How accurate are these tests...does anyone know?
My results using speedtest.net were miserable (yet using the net was fine)...so I called my ISP and told them.
They gave me a link to http://speedtest.telstraclear.co.nz/ to try as they are my ISP and my results were hugely different!?

If any Telstra custys wanna try it out here's the details...

Username: speedtest
Password: bugatti

These were my results...

Download: 10M
Upload: 2M
I bliss...like the fist...of the mantis...
Those who oppose get dropped and hit the canvas.

fluxcore

Intra-ISP connections will get you full speeds, so while that is the 'true' speed of your internet, it's really not what you'll realistically see. For example, most of the connections within NZ actually get routed through los angeles because telecom has some ridiculous fees for crossing certain boundaries in NZ. This makes things slow. It's also probably what you see when you take the other speed test.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

B BOY DRAW2

Ahhh...ok.
So is that whole "routed through L.A." thing a particular ISP thing?
Like would being with a different ISP get me better games with other countries?
Right now I get NZ, Aus, Japan and Ireland games with pretty good connections...but bad connections with any of my mates anywhere else in the world.
I bliss...like the fist...of the mantis...
Those who oppose get dropped and hit the canvas.

fluxcore

Every ISP has a different routing table, so sometimes you might find you have a shit connection to one particular server in AU when someone else has no problems. While you may find some bad connections, you will find some bad connections with almost any ISP.

The "routing through LA" thing is for NZ -> NZ connections.

zos'la

just do a tracert to the IP address or URL address eg: telecom.co.nz that wil show you your routing/hops.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

CoffinDrop1

Wish I could play at work check it out below lol

Skullator

46meg up and higher up than down is rediculous lol