• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Why don't more NZism people use GGPO?

Started by Lennysaurus, March 23, 2010, 11:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rorooze

I don't own a desktop and playing games on a laptop is just queer. I have GGPO on my work laptop since my xbox went all kaka (lol) but when I jump on vent/ggpo no one else is online. Playing games on PC also feels like such a big effort (probably still feeling disgusting from wow, lol) compared to turning the tv on and sitting on the couch playing xbox.

And lastly, I don't have the time to play enough SF4, let alone learn 3S, A2, A3, HF, ST, CvS2, MvC2 and anything else you think is worth playing :p I like the look of Blazblue and TvC as well, and would prefer to learn those games over older games.

On the note of old games still being played. While chess/draughts/snakes and ladders are all old games, remember that the rules for those games haven't changed since their inception (well I doubt they have), but every time a new version of a fighting game comes out, the rules are different and you have to relearn them. You don't really see sports teams saying "I don't like the current rules of rugby because that makes the game boring" and then playing with the rules from 1985 because its more fun. They play the most recent version because thats whats competitive and what the game has evolved to.

That said, you could argue that SF2:HF is a completely different game to SF3:3S, and they're both completely different to MVC2, and I'd probably agree with you. The mechanics ('pure fighting game', game with 'supers/parries', game with 'supers/team assists', respectively) in those games are all completely different and are not really what you would call 'rule changes'. SF4 -> SSF4 will be a 'rule change' and make the older version completely redundant.

Hopefully you can see what I'm getting at?

On that note, I might jump on ggpo now :D

massi4h

Yes but these games aren't replacements they are just new games. In rugby, you do update the rules. We're not updating the game, simply playing a new one.

Also I got ggpo working at uni atm, so what do you wanna play?

HoneyBadger

Rather be playing SF4 than those old ugly games.

Mason, hook me up next time I see you at uni hahahaha I wanna play ggpo between lectures xD
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

Rorooze

Quote from: massi4h on March 23, 2010, 03:24:29 PM
Yes but these games aren't replacements they are just new games. In rugby, you do update the rules. We're not updating the game, simply playing a new one.

Also I got ggpo working at uni atm, so what do you wanna play?

I can't get on GGPO now, saying connection lost...

massi4h

Just keep trying it'll work eventually. And yeah smoof, when you gimme back my TZ card :P We can have GGPO keyboard battles between lectures.

fluxcore

Quote from: OLEET on March 23, 2010, 03:26:20 PM
Rather be playing SF4 than those old ugly games.

And I'd rather be playing those ugly old games than that steaming pile of shit sf4

go play fucking doa if graphics > gameplay to you
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

rugdoctor

is it or can it be possible to program macros on ggpo online play? Was playing 3s against some random Australian dude who was a robot when it comes to ken's signature combos and lag doesnt seems to affect him(her) one bit.
All your sticks belong to me!

fluxcore

Any pc program can have macros written for it. Of course, so could any console if someone invested enough time into it.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

rugdoctor

I guess so, overall the matches are quite entertaining and I agree, GGPO is underutilised here in NZ, not many NZers most of the time.
All your sticks belong to me!

massi4h

Good idea Alan, wanna play DOA4 on XBL? Yes you do.

[8-----D] Toots

omg cant tell who's trolling and who's not  :D :D :D

Just play 3s

fluxcore

3s is UNPLAYABLE online though!

--king troll

Lennysaurus

Quote from: Toomeke on March 23, 2010, 04:29:54 PM
omg cant tell who's trolling and who's not  :D :D :D

Just play 3s

I know.. there is some epic Yomi games happening in the trolling in this thread.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

electric

"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

CrazyMobius