• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

Why don't more NZism people use GGPO?

Started by Lennysaurus, March 23, 2010, 11:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barnstorm

I loves me some ggpo

reason i dont use vent at the mo is
my laptop blue screened not so long ago so had to reinstall everything and now my inbuilt mic wont work properly

im always keen for ggpo though
i even play 3rd strike which i dont really like
be keen to play some vampior sav but ive got like a total of 5 games under my belt

lately though been super busy and cant really play late so no one is on when i am (bout 5-6)
ill prob be able to play in uni break though in two weeks

[8-----D] Toots

???

On topic.

Old games are a lot harder to get into than SFIV and the likes. The graphics are 'ugly', the game mechanics are often hard to grasp and the execution barrier is generally high....a lot higher than SFIV for instance. There's not a lot of gratification either. In IV its very easy to land some random shit and start getting win's.  After getting a few wins in IV you can look up some general strats, watch some vids and make the shift from being a noob to somewhat competent very quickly. Just look at Balrog, Ryu, Sagat and Rufus. All of these character's have a very small learning curve and happen to be the most popular characters amongst IV player's looking to win. I could probably teach someone how to start winning with Balrog in half an hour lol. Now you take a game like 3s where the gap between a competent player and a scrub is huge. I have spent more time learning about that game than I have 4 and without out a doubt I am still a scrub at it. If ya wanna get something out of ggpo then you have spend alot more time practicing and reading than actually playing. Thats time that alot of people arent even willing to put into IV. A2 is the obvious exception  ;D

moose!

Whether/when SSF4 gets released on PC will determine if I'm gonna do a PC upgrade so I can keep playing 3S on GGPO... Unless capcom decides to release an arcade perfect port on PS3, which won't happen, ever.

Lavender Necro will never die.

fluxcore

Even if they do release 3s on xbox/ps3, the net code will only be equal to or worse than ggpo.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

stereomonkey

Stop being a bitch Jonny and go get a fucken mic you cheap bastard.
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

Barnstorm

Quote from: stereomonkey on March 23, 2010, 06:40:38 PM
Stop being a bitch Jonny and go get a fucken mic you cheap bastard.

says the kettle too the pot
when you sortin out your xbox mic?

but i plan to get one in a couple weeks

stereomonkey

Fuck, you got me there hahaha.

Maybe I'll buy one this week. Egg :)

HoneyBadger

Quote from: fluxcore on March 23, 2010, 03:40:31 PM
And I'd rather be playing those ugly old games than that steaming pile of shit sf4

go play fucking doa if graphics > gameplay to you

So, in saying this.... Nationals on CRTs now?
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

fluxcore

Quote from: OLEET on March 23, 2010, 07:11:33 PM

Nope, and it has nothing to do with how things look. Happily, there's no reason for it to change the gameplay either.

Nice try though.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

HoneyBadger

So lag doesn't change the gameplay for anything?
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

fluxcore

stereomonkey

Where are we going with this thread?  These couple of post are going in a different direction to what is actually being discussed.....

SO, to get the ball rolling properly here is my little segment.

Why you not on GGPO already? 

Fun games, chatting to peeps and having a laugh, playing shit for free (since you already own the appropriate game boards already).   

I guess those who have thought about jumping on GGPO are usually stopped by the following problems -

A) Complicated/Settings/Other shit.  Well shit, can't help much there.

PC can't run it?  Then bugger though I had it running on a old 700mhz processor, 128mb ram and it well, worked.

Different OS then windows?  Give a vmware a go.  You know, try it once and if it is no good then forget about it and continue your usual stuff.

Not good at settings on routers?  Go to portforward.com and search your modem/router.  It's a great place in teaching you what portforward is and how to do it on your modem/router. Still stuck, ask for help from one of the guys here in the forums. 

B) You wanna play but no one on GGPO when I sign in?  Then jump on either the vent or chat and yell at someone to play you (or text chat if no mic)

C) Nobody on vent or chat?  Well then fuck I don't know, maybe post in the "ggpo tonight" thread as some members are already doing and post what time your going to be on and if anyone else wants to play then they will reply back.  This applies to all members, including you fellow mods! (shit, we aint psychic at knowing that you wanna play and when)

D) Don't wanna play?  Then continue what your doing already.

gunsmoke

I love GGPO.  ;D there nothing wrong for me. Especially classic 2D's Artwork and enjoying the old school ( i dunno how to express!! ::) you Know in those days technology is not as advance as today compare now days ) LOVING it so much

The only problem i face now :

1st : My flatmate use all the gigs playing WOW. So i don't get a chance to play

2nd : No one play when im on ( doesn't really effect me ) i can play others....but certain game only

Let Me know whoever like Metal slug X or final fight ( Loves all  walk through games < wish they put alien vs predator and Metal slug 3 Best version ) once i get unlimited connection should be sweet .
LiFe iS gOoD wHeN u WaNa Be!

fluxcore

zos'la

Quote from: OLEET on March 23, 2010, 07:11:33 PM
I don't want to say it but... Smoofologist!!!!

Honestly whats with the hate with SF4? too over reacted tbh, like EA sports says "it's just a game" like it then you play it.
Also an Xbox360 with any LCD monitor will solve the lag issue... but even saying SOME says there is lag still... which I disagree.
PS3 obviously shows significant lag with the LCD monitors at Giga but I really don't feel it for the xbox and I am usually the one who complaisn about such lag issues :P

On topic.
Myabe its a good idea to get a setup of GGPO during tournament\ Casuals and show people how good/bad this thing is and what it can do etc.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.