• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

Homemade stick

Started by jimm, April 06, 2010, 07:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimm

Yoza,
Allow me to introduce myself, I'm Jimm. I love street fighter and custom sticks. I am a long time visitor, first time poster to this forum. I have 2 HRAP3's and am making a custom stick. Its 6mm satin blue ice plexi with seimitsu parts. I am an engraver by day so I have heapsta tools, machinery and materials at my disposal. Can you guys give me your thoughts in the box look, custom buttons (clear seimitsu with black silver inserts) and any tips on mounting the stick. I will prolly make some spacers but im a little worried the stick will be too low.

B BOY DRAW2

piece of shit bro...

...just joking  :P
FAAAARK DUDE...that is what we here in Wellington would call "THE NEXT!!!"
You just invented the wheel bro!!!
that stick will be extraordinary!!!
I bliss...like the fist...of the mantis...
Those who oppose get dropped and hit the canvas.

fluxcore

That's one sexy beast.

Mounting the stick...hrm. Yeah that's going to be a bit tricky. The japanese sticks are made to be pretty much flush mounted on metal. Is that really only 6mm on the top? You'll definitely want to mount it directly under the plexi, even then it might be a bit low though. I guess that's why you got an S-plate, so you can mount it to something else below the plexi? Hrm, will have a think about it. I presume you've been researching a bunch of other sticks, did they have any useful ideas?
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

samurai black

redtie

How much?

Man that's cool!

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Awww man, way to shame out my ghettobox.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

HoneyBadger

Pink plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

zos'la

hmmm,
I like the colour matchup and the PS icon xD very nice and slick stick I woudl say.

Best way to mount the stick is to have another layer below the top which can hold the  metal plate for the stick and then the top cover you have there witht eh button mounted should cover it. I think that would be the easiest way.
I've always built my stick with wood as its easy to work with and very durable.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

CptMunta

Woah that's sick. Very slick.  8)

Be awesome to see it finished, loving the colours.
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

Rorooze

B BOY DRAW2

Yeah I think it's gonna be a bit of a mish to mount the stick and keep the box looking the way you've kept it.

You could put sum spacers in and counter sink the mounting holes...then put a cover over (e.g. Plexi cover) the top covering all the mounting and construction hardware...ya know...have the option for different colour plexi's or even art work.

Either way...when you've finished...this thing is gonna look epic!!!

Can't wait to see the finished result!!!
I bliss...like the fist...of the mantis...
Those who oppose get dropped and hit the canvas.

Barnstorm

these show how a joystick like yours should be mounted
not sure how that will effect the look though assuming you use wood for the mounting

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Assuming the top of the mounting plate sits flush under your plexi, then the height of the stick will be fine. Im currently using 2 3mm pieces of MDF as my play surface (One of which will soon be replaced with a clear plexi, for art purposes) My mounting plate is flat under those and it suits me fine. You wouldn't want to mount it much lower though.

Spacers are probably the best way to go. I would personally just whack another panel in there under your top plexi, like this:

This would give you a solid colour under your plexi, assuming you threw a bit of white paper or something in there between the panels to hide any potential flaws in the cutting on the second panel (circles cut around buttons/stick just like standard stick artwork), but that might end up not being the look youre going for.

Depends if you want to look down and see the wires/mounting plate of the stick/buttons or not. If thats what youre going for, then go with some spacers around the mounting plate, instead of an entire panel.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Bill's picture is pretty much what I was thinking of, although I'm a little hesitant by the bolting from the bottom, I'd rather have a recessed head of the bolt at the top and the nut at the bottom. That's just me though. Also the top panel still needs to be thin enough otherwise the shaft will be pretty short.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: fluxcore on April 07, 2010, 04:29:03 PM
Bill's picture is pretty much what I was thinking of, although I'm a little hesitant by the bolting from the bottom, I'd rather have a recessed head of the bolt at the top and the nut at the bottom. That's just me though. Also the top panel still needs to be thin enough otherwise the shaft will be pretty short.

Totally agree with this. Id rather have the bolts recessed the other way as well, with some nuts on there, but that was the best picture i could get a hold of without having to mess around in MSP.

On the other matter, like i say, if that IS 6mm plexi, then the shaft will be fine. Thats what im using on the ghettobox, and it's pretty close to standard TE stick height. Hold the stick/mounting plate flush to the bottom of your plexi, and screw the balltop on. Then just feel it out. Although, at this stage, if it was too short, your options are essentially:

A) Get a new top panel
B) Put a nut on top of the shaft, and then screw the balltop on. Ghetto, but works.
C) Frankenstein the joystick with a new shaft.
D) Can you even use a router on a plexi? If not, there is no option D.

I never want to talk about feeling out the length of a shaft again. Unless Lenny is involved.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.