• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

Coping with Lag/The lack thereof

Started by Cr8zyK1LL3r, June 29, 2010, 09:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zos'la

I actually went to Yifans just now to try it out, I do agree Yifan is freaking slower than I though LOL.
Much slower than what they had aussy infact^^
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

maelgrim

Quote from: The Lenny 2.0 on June 30, 2010, 10:38:23 AM
I just want to go back to the good old days when I could twirl a stick, and mash buttons with wanton abandon.

Ahh isn't ignorance bliss :)
I love mashing away on my projector.
Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

fluxcore

Quote from: zosla on June 30, 2010, 01:40:53 PM
I actually went to Yifans just now to try it out, I do agree Yifan is freaking slower than I though LOL.
Much slower than what they had aussy infact^^

Yeah, and unfortunately it'll probably still be like that for a Super arcade release... :/

I guess that begs the question "is it the console Super just different speed to arcade vanilla in general" but I think the consensus from ppl around the world was that the speeds of vanilla vs super are actually the same...
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Cr8zyK1LL3r

man.... I've spent like 2 hours here keep typing and delete and typing and delete......... I want to share my experience with everyone to help them improving their game but I really don't know where to start without hurting people.
If I say : "In my opinion......." then people might think :"STFU, don't be cocky".
If I say: "I think you should....." then people might think:"yeah, right, how the F.... do you know ??"
And if I say: "What I did was......" People might think: "Yeah, show off more..... who cares...."

Just want to let you know. I just want to help the community. In fact, I'm training a certain player in the community. He used to be a pretty bad player in SF4, some might say he has no talent at all. But he gave everyone a pretty big surprise at 3vs3. And I know he can still improve much more than that. It's a matter of understanding, not playing. NOT Practicing to be more accurate. He's started to see the door and about to walk pass it. Once he walks pass it, he will be on his own again as I don't want him to inherit my "suicide style".

But before I say anything more here, I just want to see if my training method actually work for others. If he actually improve to my level, then I will openly sharing my experience without worrying people calling me BS. And also, that would convince half of the community without having 10 pages of typing.

And if my method doesn't work, then everyone in the community won't have to try it out and save their time. ^_^

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: Cr8zyK1LL3r on June 30, 2010, 10:14:17 PM
Just want to let you know. I just want to help the community.

Im just quoting this for the hell of it. Because BIRRY WONG believes it to be true.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

zos'la

Helping the community is all good and thats what most of us are trying to do, but for many of us there is always a limit of how much shit u can take. For me its over after the 2v2, I started the first SF4 tournament to build people's confidence to keep them going, I've done my job tbh. Now I just want to play when I can and do what I like, building up my skill to another level.

I don't have the time to teach anyone nor patient...hehe. I'll waiting for your subonent? to give me some training Hue :)

fluxcore

Quote from: zosla on July 01, 2010, 09:01:09 AM
but for many of us there is always a limit of how much shit u can take

No kidding
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE]iRONSoL

Does playing over VGA eliminate all lag? Or does it just reduce the amount? ???

Wondering cause I have both a VGA and hdmi cable but use the hdmi as it gives me better picture
pringles

electric

Quote from: iRONsoL on July 01, 2010, 09:18:26 AM

Wondering cause I have both a VGA and hdmi cable but use the hdmi as it gives me better picture

It depends on the TV, but the general consensus seems to be that TV manufacturers don't bother putting their "image enhancing technology" on the VGA port, as the most common use for them is shit like slide show presentations lol

If the picture is crappier over VGA, that's probably a good sign that it won't have as much lag, but you can never truly know whether it is lagless unless you do a lag test yourself, or find out whether someone has already done it for your particular TV model number
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

Rorooze

Quote from: iRONsoL on July 01, 2010, 09:18:26 AM

Depends on the TV but usually VGA has less lag then HDMI. The majority of the lag comes from the post processing of the image sent from your console to the TV, and as far as I'm aware, HDMI has more processing than VGA. Some TV's won't process anything with the VGA input so you only have to deal with the lag of the TV changing the colour of the pixels. For the Asus monitors at Giga I think that it's between 2 and 8 ms? So that would be less than 1/8 to 1/2 a frame respectively.

CptMunta

Just some tips on using Samsungs:
Most of you probably already know this but renaming your channel Game mode, doesn't turn game mode on Samsungs. It's hidden away in the Entertainment mode settings. When you switch to game mode the colours should look more washed out and when you access the menu, most of the Picture and sound settings are greyed out and untweakable.

I know that using VGA on some TVs your TV treats the signal as a PC signal. So it cuts down on alot of the post processing. Also on some Samsungs using your HDMI2 port renaming the channel "PC" and using  the Entertainment, Game Mode setting has really good results. That way your TV treats your HDMI port as as a PC Input as well, so kinda like using a vga.

The thing is that the consoles output has to match the TVs native output for the HDMI2 PC trick to work, otherwise the tv has to process the output image and upscale it creating lagg. How much lagg is the question and this entirely depends on how good your tv is. Xboxes on a 1080p setup are good cos the Xbox does all the upscaling processing for you, sending a 1080p signal to your tv. PS3s don't so of your screen is 1080p native. Your tv will have to do some processing to upscale the image to 1080p, regardless if game mode is on or not. If you have a 720p TV native (Marketed usually as HD Ready not Full HD) you might be sweet as :)

Oh and some more advice. PS2s and general non HD consoles look like shit and are laggy as hell on HD setups. The upscaling on most HD sets look ugly as. And since a hell of alot of upscaling has to happen to get it to 1080p the lagg is crazy. Depends on the TV in regards to lagg though. I remember CVS2 on PS2 casuals at giga after a mashup or tourney once. That shit was crazy. Emulators through VGA input on HD tvs seem pretty good.

Woah power rant  ;)
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

CrazyMobius

Quote from: CptMunta on July 01, 2010, 10:17:28 AM
Oh and some more advice. PS2s and general non HD consoles look like shit and are laggy as hell on HD setups. The upscaling on most HD sets look ugly as. And since a hell of alot of upscaling has to happen to get it to 1080p the lagg is crazy. Depends on the TV in regards to lagg though. I remember CVS2 on PS2 casuals at giga after a mashup or tourney once. That shit was crazy. Emulators through VGA input on HD tvs seem pretty good.

Does using an S Video cable decrease lag? Because I have an s Video cable for my PS2 which makes the picture look bearable but I remember when I was playing Ghouls and Ghosts I died more than usual.

fluxcore

There are no absolutes. It all depends on how the individual TV deals with various inputs.
Some game modes aren't as good as other game modes, also.

The only way to know is to test it all out.

zos'la

I have a LCD HD TV with AV inputs, would this cause any lag? or is it the same issue...

Pjai

how to test for a laggy setup?

I usually run my PS3 on a non HD plasma with component cable OR a 22" LG LCD 5ms response time PC screen with HDMI->DVI. It feels pretty lag less to me, but that could simply be a result of getting used to it.