• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Coping with Lag/The lack thereof

Started by Cr8zyK1LL3r, June 29, 2010, 09:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullator

Thanks for the Samsung tips Munta, going to the HDMI2 port trick a shot when I get back to Tauranga.

fluxcore

The true way to test is to have the same output going to both a CRT and the monitor you are testing. Run a stopwatch program that displays the time on the screen. Take a picture of both screens at the same time with a reasonably highspeed camera. Then you look at the two stopwatches in the picture and calculate the difference in times shown (this can be tricky due to blurring), this gives you the input delay on the non-crt monitor.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Skullator

I will be running said test on my 24" LCD I intend to take to xlan this friday, soon as mason brings his DVI to HDMI cable we have everything we need for some true testing on it's HDMI port.

Rorooze

Pjai

wow , tats a 50ms delay

shit tats heaps...

fluxcore

Probably more like 80ms actually (you can see the 515 which it's presumably switching to) :/
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

electric

My terrible math says that's between 3-4 frames of lag, right ?

No wonder I did so well on that fucking shit TV lol
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

Lennysaurus

yup those are the Giga 42" Samsung TV's... sucky huh?

Also Hue!!! I will be your student!! Pick me!!!  I will pay you in friendship and smiles!

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

fluxcore

CptMunta

Quote from: Skullator on July 01, 2010, 11:18:00 AM
Thanks for the Samsung tips Munta, going to the HDMI2 port trick a shot when I get back to Tauranga.

No worries bro :)
Just bear in mind bro that if it's PS3 your running the tv will still have to upscale. For instance, on my Samsung with HDMI trick SSF4 runs ok but laggs a little (since it's 720p) but HDR runs smooth as since it's 1080p. I haven't done any concrete testing. All these tips came from fubarducks tests on the AV forums.

Quote from: CrazyMobius on July 01, 2010, 10:25:14 AM
Does using an S Video cable decrease lag? Because I have an s Video cable for my PS2 which makes the picture look bearable but I remember when I was playing Ghouls and Ghosts I died more than usual.

Not sure bro. I'm imagining it'll be just the same as AV I guess with a nicer picture. Have you tried VGA cables on your DC on your TV. That should look pretty sweet. Though some newer TVs don't even support low res VGA.
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

fluxcore

Oh that's a good point - if you're going to run these tests it should be at the intended resolution and connections! i.e. if the game is on PS3 and only supports 720p then run the PC at 720p, since the upscaling is the most likely culprit of the input delay!

360 can upscale everything to 1080p however, so depends on the settings you have the 360 on for that.

If you intend to use HDMI then try HDMI, VGA then use VGA etc.

Rorooze

The camera we were using was shitty so I'd ignore the 515 bit, but remember that it was using my laptop not a CRT so probably add another 12 to 16 ms on top of 47 = around 4 frames.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

4 frames is like, as bad as online.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

cha

Ye, yifan is really bad, especially the new flashy two, I actually have to think about "pre-input" when i'm trying to link ken's c.LK -> s.LP

Since 720p = 1280x720 and 1080p = 1920×1080, in other words if you hook it up to a LCD monitor no matter the brand which support these resolution native, that would mean no up-scaling required and thus nearly lag free?

For instance I know the LCD screen on my laptop supports 1280x720 and I got S-video input, so that's worth a try?