• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Coping with Lag/The lack thereof

Started by Cr8zyK1LL3r, June 29, 2010, 09:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deprenyl

played some tekken on the giga tv's with some mates last night, we're all complete scrubs with no knowledge of frame delay and such (apart from me, im just a scrub who knows a little about it by reading posts here lol) and was quite surprised when they were complaining that the controllers felt laggy/were possibly faulty and they were dropping combos.

HoneyBadger

PS3 is da worst =_=;; Nobody I know can play Tekken on PS3 on giga tvs
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

fluxcore

Quote from: cha on July 01, 2010, 04:31:30 PM
Since 720p = 1280x720 and 1080p = 1920×1080, in other words if you hook it up to a LCD monitor no matter the brand which support these resolution native, that would mean no up-scaling required and thus nearly lag free?

Unfortunately not - while upscaling is usually the culprit for input delay, any form of image processing can introduce delay. And computer monitors still have image processing :/

For instance some of the Dell monitors have upwards of 50ms input delay, although they are more catered towards colour reproduction for graphic designers.

If you tell me the brand and model number of your panel I can probably have a hunt to see if there's any info about it, but no manufacturer reports input delay so it's entirely up to people doing the stopwatch tests to report results :/
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

fluxcore

If you mean the VW246H, it's the same monitor as the VK246H just without the webcam.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-asus-vk246h-part12.html#Lag

Of 100 pictures, about 95 percent demonstrated no input lag. The remainder demonstrated an input lag of about two frames (~33 ms). This gives rise to an average input lag of 1,65 ms, which is an outstanding value, even for a TN panel. Despite this, however, there is still the 5 percent chance of a two-frame lag.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

oic, yeah well thats what I use at home with my ps3 ><
guess it aint that bad after all :)
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

fluxcore

They don't mention which resolution the input is at, since you're playing on ps3 it STILL could be the case that it has a poor upscaler from 720p that introduces input delay. You could probably test that if the monitor has some kind of 1:1 pixel aspect option (i.e. the 720p video would NOT stretch to fill up the entire monitor - you'd have black bars top/bottom and sides).

Lennysaurus

Hey Alan can you chek out this monitor for me?

Asus H8O4M1O

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

Pjai

fluxcore

I'm no mystical guru of input delay, all I do is a google search :P

Lennysaurus

Quote from: fluxcore on July 02, 2010, 12:08:07 PM
I'm no mystical guru of input delay, all I do is a google search :P

No seriously... I think you want to check out the H8O4M1O model... I have a feeling you'll like it heaps Alan...

Tee hee....

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Pretty sure thats the model Richard uses at home.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE]iRONSoL

im pretty sure he uses the ASUS U1M0E2H9A7L3A
pringles