• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Wugga is eating uppercuts

Main Menu

My idea for another 3v3 tourney

Started by Lennysaurus, August 01, 2010, 03:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennysaurus

So I had this idea while I was at work today.

We could do another 3v3 tourney.  But with a neat twist.  We could have everyone who wants to enter the tourney throw their name in a hat, and the teams get pulled out of the hat randomly!

So each person would get assigned to a random team.  We would keep the same rules, e.g.: only one character per team etc, so therefore if a team ends up having 2 people in a team that main the same character, they would have to decide which person will end up using thier secondary.

The Lenny has spoken and requires your thoughts on the matter!  I command you to speak damnit plebs!!!

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

fluxcore

Not enough chances for collusion and stacking imo.

Come on, who wants to play with people that won't practically guarantee them the win?
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] weazzyefff

LOL.

that's a great idea. Lets do it tomorrow.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

Lennysaurus

Quote from: [NYC] weazzyefff on August 01, 2010, 08:05:30 PM
LOL.

that's a great idea. Lets do it tomorrow.

Lol im not sure if you actually think it's a good idea or iff you are taking the piss out of me.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: [FSR] Lenny on August 01, 2010, 08:06:51 PM
Lol im not sure if you actually think it's a good idea or iff you are taking the piss out of me.

Yeah i never say the word 'great' that's why. I just tried it and it sounds wrong as coming from me lol. NOW let's do it tomorrow, fuck just so keen to play more games. NO ONLINE AHHHH!!! I'm going crazy. Must get better before nats.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

zos'la

sounds itneresting, I also had teh same thought as well but I was lazy to bring it up^^
anyways whatever it is we will play, though I think the rule where you play every single player until the whole team loses should change.
Just because its random teams it doesn't mean one man can not OCV the other team and it this situation all you need is one great player and he can carry you to the top... its a TEAM tournament, your WHOLE team needs to work for the win and not just rely on that particular team mate...

2 cents :)
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Rorooze

Quote from: zosla on August 02, 2010, 01:36:09 PM
sounds itneresting, I also had teh same thought as well but I was lazy to bring it up^^
anyways whatever it is we will play, though I think the rule where you play every single player until the whole team loses should change.
Just because its random teams it doesn't mean one man can not OCV the other team and it this situation all you need is one great player and he can carry you to the top... its a TEAM tournament, your WHOLE team needs to work for the win and not just rely on that particular team mate...

2 cents :)

Mind if I rephrase?

Basically you are saying you have Team 1 = Players A, B and C and Team 2 = Players X, Y and Z.

A vs X, A wins
B vs Y, Y wins,
C vs Z is the decider, and if player C won, then Team 1 would win?

With this we could probably run round robin instead of double elim because there will be a max of 3 games per team instead of 5 games using Mikido (sp?) format. Top team from each round robin could go into the finals.

Skullator

^ Is that really a valid format for a 3v3 tournament?
Whoever is going third on the team in that situation, may or may not be needed. Your team could of already lost before you even had the chance to play your game lol.

Which makes choosing who would go third on the team kind of awkward =\

Lennysaurus

We could make it round robin and all three play every game, and you get 1 point for each win an individual has at the end of a set.

Then at the end whomever has the most points wins.

zos'la

yeh, something like that, you guys can go into teh detail :) but you get my point^^
swtt

HoneyBadger

You wanna try and yomi the order of the other teams and get people their most favourable matchup. Doesn't make chosing the 3rd awkward, but it's definitely less hype. I think the main idea is that the better players will be more intent on watching their team mates and sharing tips. I think as long as we seed our good players, this way of running it is a good idea.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

CrazyMobius

I agree that Team tourneys should be geared towards the whole team winning rather than just letting one good player carry the others through. I also think the idea of changing characters should be reviewed or at least tried.

zos'la

character change can be revised by giving double blind if needed... that is if you guys want both winner and losers allowed to change characters.
Else just stick with current rule, no biggy.

Rorooze

Oh yeah you'd definitely let the third players have their games so they can maybe make it 2-1 instead of 2-0.

Allowing character changes means you can't yomi a bad match up to come into your favour which kind of takes out some of hype. There are pro's and con's for this I guess. It's also more work for the people organising the tournament because then they have to keep an eye on team order and blind character select (minor point I admit but more work = less inclination to do it).

Can you come up with a compelling argument to allow character changes?

JackSmash

Do it NSB 15 styles?

Each player registers 2 characters and can switch to whichever one during the course of the tournament.