• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

Lag Free Setup

Started by CaptainHook, September 02, 2010, 03:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainHook

Heard this talked about at Nats..

Don't want to open a can of worms (searched around here a little and it seems to be one) but what
do i need to get?

How was it known the ones at Giga were lag free? Easy way to test them?
Are there certain models known to be lag free?

Would prob rather an LCD (for space) than CRT. My xbox is on our big bulky CRT now but eh.
Don't mind spending a few hundred or whatever.. What are the good ones worth? $4-500 or way off?
Not looking for a giant one. My 27" iMac as reference would be WAY overkill. 21" or 24" or something maybe?

So if there's known models etc that i can be linked to, that would be MOST excellent.

Also if i need to get some specific cable to connect my xbox to it, please let me know.
Sorry for the newbness.

Thanksss!
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

fluxcore

When I get home I'll try link you to a couple. The fast panels also tend to be cheap, you're probably looking $300-$400
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

St1gnate

CRT's are the way man, i think they are the safest bet out of everything (flatscreen vs tube)and they are massive and awesome lol

Flash

you will never find a hd monitor that is 100% lag free but here is a link to the best models on offer.

http://www.ozhadou.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5069

i just bought me the benQ G2420HD waiting for it to arrive, the lag apparently is less than 1 frame so its not noticeable.

****Up or i'll scratch yo face with my stubby little arms!

CaptainHook

Quote from: fluxcore on September 02, 2010, 03:56:52 PM
When I get home I'll try link you to a couple. The fast panels also tend to be cheap, you're probably looking $300-$400

Thanks Alan!!

Quote from: martinizzle on September 02, 2010, 04:50:02 PM
you will never find a hd monitor that is 100% lag free but here is a link to the best models on offer.

http://www.ozhadou.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5069

i just bought me the benQ G2420HD waiting for it to arrive, the lag apparently is less than 1 frame so its not noticeable.

Where did you get it from and how much is it?
Thanks for your help! :)

Lennysaurus

Speaking of lag-free.  Played at yiffans again todday.  Made me a sad panda.  Got tick thrown alot.

Stupid lag.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

Flash

i got mine from trademe $270 but i think you can get them brand new for around $330 dunno if that includes shipping and how reliable the websites are.

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=457017

fluxcore

I would only believe the posts in that OzHadou thread that actually link to a thorough test showing side by side comparisons to a CRT. It's very easy for someone to just say "yeah this monitor doesn't lag" - as evidenced by a bunch of retarded threads around here not too long ago. Unless I see actual stats, I'm not going to believe it.

With that in mind, the BenQ monitors (E2200HD, E2400HD, G2420) referenced in that thread I do know to be about as good as you can get.

I would recommend a BenQ.
http://www.staticice.co.nz/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=benq%20G2420&pos=5
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

stereomonkey

Quote from: martinizzle on September 02, 2010, 04:50:02 PM...the lag apparently is  less than 1 frame so its not noticeable.

Like, zero frames?
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

Flash

Quote from: stereomonkey on September 02, 2010, 05:49:10 PM
Like, zero frames?

they measure it in milliseconds (I think) not in frames. so it lags a couple milliseconds but not a full frame.

Lennysaurus

Quote from: martinizzle on September 02, 2010, 05:53:29 PM
they measure it in milliseconds (I think) not in frames. so it lags a couple milliseconds but not a full frame.

Theres like 16 and i little bit milliseconds in a frame.  So if it lags less than 16 they consider it less than a frame I guess stu.

My setup at home is between 8 and 12 iirc from testing it the last time, with the odd spike to 18.  I just use that now.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

kingpiccolo

i need to get one of those vga cables when i can be bothered i got a BENQ2220HD which im guessing should be the same as the BENQ2420HD?
except mines 22' where that one is 24'

fluxcore

Quote from: [FSR] kingpiccolo on September 03, 2010, 12:55:30 AM
i need to get one of those vga cables when i can be bothered i got a BENQ2220HD which im guessing should be the same as the BENQ2420HD?
except mines 22' where that one is 24'

That monitor should have HDMI? Just use that...
But yeah, 2220HD *should* have very low input delay, I'd be surprised if it didn't, but can't find any solid evidence.

zos'la

white we are on this topic for setups.

I'm using the Assus VW246H as some of you may know on my xbox via VGA.
I have setup my xbox to use 1280x720 for SSF4, I am not very good with these so want to know if my monitor is using the correct resolution? are there suppose to be black bars on the sides? coz it seems my image is a bit streched? not sure to be honest...it might just be me. I was trying to change the display mode using the aspect control but it was greyed out, but when I change the resolution from the xbox, the aspect control function was available? so not quite sure how this works.
hope someone can help clarify :)
cheeers.

Here is its specs:

•ASUS VW246H Widescreen LCD Monitor: 16:10 wide screen with 1920×1080 resolution supports Full HD 1080p vision.
•Embedded HDMI simplifies cabling and provides the highest-quality video and audio experience.
•Pristine and stunning clarity of HD DVD and Blu-ray Discs.
•Great for both video games and HD DVD movies playback.

Advanced Video Technologies for Exceptional Visuals
ASCR (ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio) Technology automatically adjusts the luminance of the backlight for better displays according to the image contents, and improves the contrast ratio to 20000:1 - resulting in more realistic depictions of night scenes during games or movies.

Trace Free Technology delivers 2ms quick response time (gray-to-gray) for smooth video display and gaming without ghosting.

Aspect Control function allows users to select a preferred display mode among Full and 4:3 for true-to-life Full HD 1080p gaming or movie watching without any data loss or image distortion.

Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

CaptainHook

Quote from: zosla on September 03, 2010, 08:51:42 AM
•ASUS VW246H Widescreen LCD Monitor: 16:10 wide screen with 1920×1080 resolution supports Full HD 1080p vision.

Shouldn't 1920x1080 be 16:9 not 16:10?

I think 16:10 would be 1920x1200 (staying around those numbers)

Maybe thats causing your stretching?
1080p or 720p (like you said you use for SSF4) are both 16:9 which isn't as wide as
16:10 if that's what your monitor is.

Beyond that, i'm clueless.