• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Combat Sports

Started by Pinolicious, December 02, 2010, 02:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinolicious

Anybody into Boxing/MMA/Other, whether watcing/following or participating/training?

Started up on the MMA buzz, looking to watch my man GSP beat down Koscheck on UFC 124.  Had my first MMA class last night, but first need to get my basics sussed out first.

Also looking forward to see my man Pacquiao beat down Mayweather, if they ever come to an agreement.
<PSN> Kriselda

LN

THE MOST ELECTRIFYING MOVE IN SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT!!!
There is no knowledge that is not power

Pinolicious

Quote from: LN on December 02, 2010, 04:05:58 PM
THE MOST ELECTRIFYING MOVE IN SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT!!!

The Rock is without a doubt THE most electrifying man in sports entertainment today!
The jabroni beating, pie eating, trail blazing, eye brow raising, the best in the present, future and past, and if ya’ll don’t like me you can kiss the people’s ass!
The Rock’s gonna take your monkey ass down to the corner of Know Your Role Boulevard and Jabroni Drive and check you in to the Smackdown Hotel!
If ya smeeeellllll... what The Rock... is cooking!

I stopped watching WWE when he left, don't think any other wrestler can talk smack like he can these days.
<PSN> Kriselda

CaptainHook

I'm not ashamed to admit i have man-love for The Rock. But not from wrestling (never watched it).
From his movies. He's the man.

The only thing ever really watched was all the kimbo vids when they first hit the internet. I think my band
was recording it's second album at the time and we watched them all day in the studio. Then the singer
got into watching sick videos of animals attacking people and breaking their arms etc and i was out. Fuck
that noise.
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

Pinolicious

Kimbo Slice?  Don't really get the fad around him.  Internet sensation when a lot of his street fights got spread around the net, had a mediocre MMA record, now trying to get into professional boxing.
<PSN> Kriselda

scribble

I did Muay Thai out of Highlander Gym in Taupo for a few years until it shut down and I moved to Auckland. Ended up training and substitute teaching classes at Auckland Uni gym. Quit due to study, but since I graduate in a couple weeks I started training so I can get back into it. I wanna try out City Lee Gar, Pathai or Strikeforce but I gotta get my fitness up again or I'll get killed on the first Friday lol. Interested in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu aswell coz I have a couple mates who left Muay Thai in favour of it. Plus I never really learnt anything in the way of a ground/grapple game before, apart from what one of those dudes showed me during a couple sparring sessions. As for watching, I used to be religious when it came to K-1 and Sonchai events. Watched quite a bit of boxing but never really got into MMA/UFC/PrideFC until recently, since started getting interested in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Still remember the Ken Shamrock vs Royce Gracie epicness from back in the early UFC days though, plus I try to watch Emelianenko's fights whenever I can. Sadface he lost to Werdum. Btw if anyone is even midly interested in Muay Thai and still hasn't seen 'The Contender Asia' it's definitely worth it. JW, Yodsaenklai and Preacher are in it, along with others.

"I hope the Yama Kings have mercy upon your soul, for I shall not" - Hsien-Ko

CaptainHook

Quote from: Pinolicious on December 02, 2010, 04:24:14 PM
Kimbo Slice?  Don't really get the fad around him.  Internet sensation when a lot of his street fights got spread around the net, had a mediocre MMA record, now trying to get into professional boxing.

The street stuff was brutal and raw, and us white kids (sitting in recording studios) hadn't really seen that shit before. :P
When Bas or whoever signed him to MMA we all lost interest. Haha.

I've done a few martial arts in my younger days. Kung fu (wu-shu and wing chun at different times), Karate, Capoeira, and Tai Chi (if you consider that).
Not in the last 10 years tho. HAHAHAH.
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

scribble

Quote from: CaptainHook on December 02, 2010, 04:16:12 PM
I'm not ashamed to admit i have man-love for The Rock. But not from wrestling (never watched it).
From his movies. He's the man.

Hahaha me to, except I did watch the wrestling. He is most definitely the man. I want more The-Rock-Handing-Out-Ass-Kickings movies. Now!
And Kimbo slice is kinda the same as Bob Sapp to me. Don't matter to the event organizer if he sucks or not, because people will still come to see the 'freak show'.

Pinolicious

@scribble: I've tried a few gyms in Auckland, ETK, City Kickboxing, did a kickboxing session and an MMA session this week at Strikeforce, I'll be settling there when I get back from my holiday after the new year, I wanna get serious fight, even if it's just one amateur fight and I lose, at least I can say I did it :)

They do kickboxing and BJJ there, as well as an MMA class, and they are more oriented at fighting in the ring, rather than just for fitness (although you do have to be fit haha).

Just like you, I intend to do the BJJ cause I got no experience in it whatsoever.  Same with kickboxing lol, but at least I've done a few classes in that.

Also heard some good things about City Lee Gar.
<PSN> Kriselda

budafist

I've been doing boxing training for about 2 years now, 4 days a week.  mostly just fitness but the training sessions focus heaps on technique.
Its amazing how much skill there is to combat sports, the lamen would say its just agression and strength, but as people like Pacqiou show, its all technique.
have done a bit of sparring, that shit is the most exhausting thing I've ever done. respect to any one that can go 12 rounds.

I'd be pretty interested in learning some Brazilian Ju Jitsu or similar. I think its the most applicable of all Martial Ats (not that I intend on getting into fights)

I love watching boxing/MMA, these are the only sports I can handle watching at all. I find Rugby,cricket etc only mildy interesting in highlight form.
its a real shame that network TV doesnt show stuff all combat sports. K1 was so good when it was on.

Pinolicious keep us updated how the MMA training goes, pretty keen to know whats the dilly is. I wana learn throw techs irl.

The motherfucken answer lies in the heart of motherfucken battle!

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Bro ii am glen eden train track brawl champion. Undefeated. Running is considered a draw. Cos i had to go toilet and things like that.

The rock is the man. I liked stone cold too, but rock is better. I haven't watched wrestling since the rock left ever, but only cos i greew outta it.

I got a handicapped arm or else i would be hella keen to train again. I only did weights though. tried boxing but the mat work was too hard for me. I might just work on getting that 8 pack ripped abs seeing as my arms fucked.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

scribble

@Pinolicious Yea Highlander was a fighting gym, most are I assume, excluding the uni. When I go back it wouldn't be for fitness, but yea my old trainer Boa (He runs Rogue Mag website) suggested I go to Strikeforce because he is mates with Aaron. I met Aaron a couple times before also and he is an awesome dude, so I'm kinda leaning toward strikeforce atm. There is one BJJ place on upper Queens that looks awesome as hell aswell so I will be checking that along with Pathai first though.

I was only kinda looking at Lee Gar coz Phillip Lam always has a lot of shows and it's close. Plus Choppa Chapman and his fight vs Jordan Tai in the 2001 (or 2003 can't really remember, had to dub it on VHS tho hahaha) K-1 'The Dream' was the reason why I started in the first place. Not to mention Steve Hahm and all the other top nz fighters that gym churns out lol.

Cool to know that you'll be at Strikeforce though. Might have to get in touch in the New Year if end up there too ;), which is pretty likely.

Quote from: budafist on December 02, 2010, 05:15:29 PM
I love watching boxing/MMA, these are the only sports I can handle watching at all. I find Rugby,cricket etc only mildy interesting in highlight form.
its a real shame that network TV doesnt show stuff all combat sports. K1 was so good when it was on.

Lol I'm exactly the same. Except add kickboxing/muay thai to the watchable list.

redtie

My brothers good friend does mma. He held the Supremecy middle weight title but he got injured. Gonna go see what hes upto when I'm up there.

I boxed for a while. Meh. Shit got boring.

edit: Woah bro, paquio is going to get knocked the fuck out by mayweather. Mayweather is a beast. You need to put Dudley on commentary for that match. CROSSCOUNTER!!

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Hard man, i just joined boxing to fight. But they made me train, and that sucked. I don't care if i went in and demolished.

Also is that strike force in avondale? I think i got stepped out there one time when i roadraged at some guy pulling outta there. Called him a bitch nigga then jumped back in my car and gapped it cos was holding up traffic.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

B BOY DRAW2

I got my black belt in Judo and had a 7yr career...Silver medal @ the 96' Oceania champs in Samoa...and have always had an interest in a bunch of different Martial Arts. Sorta been looking into, and reading about Krav Maga...(Only cos I'm sure that's what Guile does  :P) And my bro-in-law is an MMA fighter...so yeah...I got an interest  ;D

A couple of DVD's or programs you might like...

Fight Science - A program that looks at the biomechanics of a bunch of different fight styles and breaks them down to which style has the best techniques per move. e.g. Each fight style gets tested for the most effective punch...then kick...then speed...etc.

Fight Quest -  2 guys with reasonable fight skills travel the world and train in that countries favorite martial art for 5 days apart from each other...and then have a grading with the local masters.

...on another level... I think Koscheck is pretty tidy...I'm backing him bruv!
I bliss...like the fist...of the mantis...
Those who oppose get dropped and hit the canvas.