• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Seth NZism exclusive interview UPLOADED :)

Started by CptMunta, February 18, 2011, 02:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CptMunta

Hey guys I got the chance to sit down with Seth Killian yesterday. I'm going to put together a NZism "exclusive" (As in Nzism branding all over it) interview to hopefully get people who are on iplaywinner, SRK and eventhubs and are kiwis to get involved in the NZism forums too. Also might need login details for the NZism channel to upload the interview (might be good for us to upload our tourney vids too ;) )

He said a ton of insightful stuff for 3 Green Bars but sadly the camera must have crapped out 80% of the files are horribly desynced so the Video is sped up 3 times and the audio is Garbled  :'( Pretty heartbreaking but I do still have my list questions and can type out some of the stuff he said.

Seth was a really good guy to chat to and was very candid as to how now being on the other side of the community has effected him personally and about his descion of leaving his old life behind and merging his passion with his profession. 7 of my videos were munted so here's a very rough parapharsed record of what we chatted about. I've got one clip I'm gonna save for 3 Green bars but the rest will be posted here pretty much uncut.

Communities can start from anywhere so after discovering SF2 in the arcades how did you find your own community?
If you look behind Seth in the video you can see a picture he has on his office wall of a Text book store. That used to be his first arcade scene. You needed a license in his state to operate an arcade so he had to bike miles to get to the arcade and get games in. He grew up in Chicago and met players the aracdes. He met and made friends with alot of the Nor Cal and Sol Cal players later so never really felt attached to one specific scene.

Daigo coming over for the first time

How did you learn about heavyhitters in the international scene before the Internet/YouTube?
This pretty much turned into a double up question. Capcom ran the Alpha 3 tournament and decided to bring of the winner of their janapnese alpha 3 tournament: Daigo. No one really knew who he was or how good he was.. Seth said the US knew the Japanese had strong players but had no clue of the skill gap back then. Daigo said after the tournament something something roughly translated as "Alex Valle has spirit but america doesn't have the technology'"

B5 into Evo is this what you'd always dreamed it would be? How does it feel being at evo and seeing thousands of people go nuts on SF4? Did ou ever imagine it going that far?
"Yes and no" They always wanted it to be a success and build the community more and more but working on events like this you tryed not to think about it too much in case you'd jinks it.

When did you first hear about sf4 being developed and how did you stop your head from exploding?
Seth agreed to take the job at capcom because the game had just been green lit. He wasn't sure if it was the job for him, he had heard scary things about working in the video game business, he loved games but wasn't sure he wanted to combine those two parts of his life. Because if it goes bad you've lost it all. But in the end he had alot of faith in the existing fighting game community and decided if it was done right it could be very big for fighting games. So it was a big risk to move from his job teaching Philosophy in collage in Chicago to California and be such an ingeral part of getting Street Fighter 4 looking and feeling right. It was pretty emotional for him to talk about since the success and the overwhelming growth of the community has really had an effect on him.

When he first saw something running it was incredibly crude looking proof of concept demo of polygons hitting each other. Then as more assets were being roughed out the it ran with a very unfinished Blanka and Dhalsim.

Do you sometimes have conflicts with the development teams and how do you deal with having problems at work and
Is it frustrating being not able vent good/bad news in the development process to people outside capcom?

Seth said "It's been a process for me." It's a trade off where you have to respect other peoples opinions. He was first very "american" about and was "we need to do this and this" but found it was best to try and learn from the Japanese approach which is very much a team dynamic.

The rest of the interview is now live:

NZISM Seth interview:

Yes he know's Smoof/Euan.  ;)
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

LN

Looking forward to hearing/seeing this. Seth is almost a hero to me, I've known his name all the way back from the agsf2 days, even if he's not considered a top player by most people, he's still one of the people I'd most like to just have as a bouncing board to talk about fighting games with.

Have you tried chucking the desynced vid through something like virtualDub? Might be able to sort some of it out, has a reasonably decent ability to rebuild streams...
There is no knowledge that is not power

HoneyBadger

my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

geneterror

KOW 2011

CptMunta

Opps vid fixed. Expect general paraphrasing for the 3 Green Bars questions that didn't make it. I'll try to get them up soon while it's still fresh in my mind. Will update first post

I have 2, 3 Green Bars style questions on video (Which I might save for 3 GB) and some general games coming out soon questions which I'll post up in video form.
Quote from: LN on February 18, 2011, 04:36:05 PM
Looking forward to hearing/seeing this. Seth is almost a hero to me, I've known his name all the way back from the agsf2 days, even if he's not considered a top player by most people, he's still one of the people I'd most like to just have as a bouncing board to talk about fighting games with.

Have you tried chucking the desynced vid through something like virtualDub? Might be able to sort some of it out, has a reasonably decent ability to rebuild streams...

I'll try virtual dub but the video length is shortened since it runs so quick so the audio is cut off :( file sizes are still big there may still be hope.

Yeah Seth, is probably the 1 person in the Fighting Game community who I've always wanted to talk to. I was lucky enough to have an hour with him. He is a very thoughtful and intelligent guy with alot history and compassion for his games audience.

Yesterday was "make a wish" dream come true styles for me. First Seth interview at capcom with office tour Free signed swag that Snow owed me from a fan art comp from 2008. Then at haunt's house first hands on time with MvC3. Then Starbase commentating on the stream having a blast.

Also meeting up with John Choi at sunnyvale on Saturday if you guys have questions for him and maybe Ricky O and F Champ are coming too.

Hydro

Awesome dude, I'm so jealous. Can't wait to see the clip! :D

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Rorooze

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

haha shot marc !!!!!

I need to drink another 100 demon energy drinks like at xlan so i can come up with another saying as epic as   THE DAMAGERRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

LN

CrazyMobius

Wow dude. So you were in the States? Hey Munta have you ever thought of starting a 3 Green Bars Blog? You've got some real top quality stuff now.

CptMunta

Quote from: CrazyMobius on February 18, 2011, 10:05:35 PM
Wow dude. So you were in the States? Hey Munta have you ever thought of starting a 3 Green Bars Blog? You've got some real top quality stuff now.

Hmmmmmm could be a nice idea. I could cover alot of stuff that happened off camera.

I'm going to giving the option for people to donate for this series of 3 Green bars. Not for me but for a Christchurch Earthquake Fund or something. I thought it might be a good idea since alot of people making content are asking for donations and it would be good for it to go to good cause.
I dunno how to make it work yet might just be a some text at the end of the video and a link in the description. Gotta find the right charity though one that focuses on families made homeless by the quake, since my brother and quite a few of my friends have lost their homes to the quake.

CptMunta

All done now, video uploaded feel free to nick it and upload it to the nzism youtube channel.

LN

Nice work :)

I still have a feeling that with the right know-wots you might be able to extract the audio or tinker with the video a bit to get some more out, but obviously without knowing the state of the data I can't really tell... hope the rest of the 3 green bars is a bit smoother for you!

Hydro

Great Footage Marc bro. :D Props for puttin' it together for everyone.