• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

WWBWD?

Main Menu

MVC2

Started by [NIUE] Optimus DAVE, January 25, 2007, 08:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick4now

OK Wavedash question:

Is the trick to wavedashing letting the stick go to neutral? I'm practicing it atm with Mag but I sometimes do his air fb instead  :-\

The Self-proclaimed Christchurch Hyper Fighting 2011 Champion

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Have you got your terminology right?

"Wavedashing" can only be done on the ground, and you cancel your dash by crouching. This negates the dash recovery, and allows you to dash again, thus allowing you to move along the ground faster. Its called a wavedash because of the motion you character makes when they dash -> crouch -> dash etc. Up, then down, then up, then down. Like a wave.

Im assuming what youre talking about is tri-jumping, or air dashing. Theres no trick to it really. But particularly for magneto, returning the stick to neutral helps to avoid getting his air fireball.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Nick4now

Yeah I meant tri-jumping sorry  ;D

Edit: Fuck I also just found out that Mag is really fun to use. Is Mag/Strider/Doom a bad combination of a team? I really don't wanna drop Strider lol

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Its not great, but it could be a lot worse. Magneto doesnt really give strider anything, and doom isnt that great with magneto.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

LN

Mag/Doom isn't bad at all - it was one of the reasonably common pairings around 2004. Justin wong used Mag/Doom for a while. Mag/Cable/Doom wasn't uncommon.

Unmashable tempest is pretty great for a start - launcher, rom, s.HK + Doom assist xx hypergrav xx tempest.
There is no knowledge that is not power

stereomonkey

Mag-FUCKING-Neto.

You should learn 5 fierce combo.  Sooo much damage.
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

Nick4now

Quote from: LN on January 22, 2011, 01:56:34 PM
Unmashable tempest is pretty great for a start - launcher, rom, s.HK + Doom assist xx hypergrav xx tempest.

Thanks, I'll start practicing that combo. I've started to practice rom and I can get around 7 hits atm before fucking up lol I actually don't like playing with Doom but his assist really is awesome with Strider. I might've considered dropping him if it weren't for Bill's post about having 2 chars and 1 assist slave  :D

Quote from: stereomonkey on January 22, 2011, 01:57:22 PM
Mag-FUCKING-Neto.

You should learn 5 fierce combo.  Sooo much damage.

Uhhh how do I do that? lol I'm guessing it involves Airdashing? Sounds like fun  ;D I'm thinking I should just keep learning Mag for MVC3s sake.

Damn I wish this game was a 1 on 1 game with 2 assists. Would've made the learning curve MUCH easier haha

LN

triple fierce: launch, HP, addf, HP

five fierce: launch, HP, addf (hold df), HP, mash HK

last hit OTGs

samurai black

Quote from: Nick4now on January 22, 2011, 02:29:39 PM
Uhhh how do I do that? lol I'm guessing it involves Airdashing? Sounds like fun  ;D I'm thinking I should just keep learning Mag for MVC3s sake.

five fierce is my fav mag thing and the only 'advanced' thing i can do with him haha :D

basically its cr. hp, sj. hp, ad df hp, hk, hk

between the last two hks you should have landed as the last hk is slide.

dammit alan. also four fierce with guile is lols.

redtie

Questions about throws. Are throws 0 Frame? Like, say I wanted to begin the round with a hp throw with magneto into whatever combo. Is this a reliable opening? Or will I always get beat out by something? And also is tick throwing anygood?

samurai black

throw at the start of a round sounds like a bad idea. at the start of the round, most folks will mashing assist and a normal, which will stuff your attempts.

tick throws are good, just another part of the mixup game.

LN

Pretty sure chars are throw invincible for the first few frames in a game. If this wasn't the case, we'd have seen switch trick throw being the #1 strat off the bat.

But yeah, throws are 0 frame. Even so, it's pretty hard to actually throw people in a game as frenetic as mvc2.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

QuoteEven so, it's pretty hard to actually throw people in a game as frenetic as mvc2.

This is why tick throws are generally not something to concern yourself with. Do them if the opportunity is there, and its the best thing you can do, but 99% of the time, you have better options.

In other news, STFU Richard you don't even know.

And yea, chars are throw immune at the start of the match.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

samurai black

pff whatever bill. he's playing mags, so any HP throws he gets should lead into something awesome. most people fighting magneto will be focused on trying not to get clipped by whatever normal into usual magneto bullshit that they forget about the throws and rarely ever tech it.

look for the magnetro tutorial video on mags that came out a few years ago. it covers like everything magneto releated.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

yea that magnetro vid is godlike. So godlike that i found it for you.

<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.