• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

Awesome stick

Started by Kanae, May 31, 2009, 04:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kanae

Been researching.

Works with PC, PS2 and PS3 standard, can be adapted to Wii, 360 and GC.
IS CHEAP

http://www.modz.co.nz/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=9&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=259&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26&vmcchk=1&Itemid=26

Very moddable, standard button holes .
Can buy 10 SANWA buttons on trademe,(apparently the defaults are ok) and the cheapest place to get a  sanwa balltop or alternative seimitsu is ozstick, cheapest shipping.

http://www.ozstick.com.au/prod_joy.html

There are some floating on trademe for 200 new, but at modz it is 140.
So for about $200 and shipping you can get the unit, buy authentic sanwa parts and have cross-platform compatibility, im goin to get it sooooon.

Good thin is, apparently, if your not a moddder, the stick actually is a good performer as it is, its got a good 2KG to it to.

Lennysaurus

Yeah its not bad bro.  For a regular player they are all good stock standard.  For anyone wanting to get into serious tourney play youll want to mod it.

My brother bought one that he had while in wellington over the other day.  To mod the buttons youll need to bore out the button holes cause standard sanwa snap ins wont fit.  You also need to but some wire and some connecters as youll need to hack the pcb and remount it. 

Be warned however that these pcbs dont work with  GC and wii converters, as I have the only 2 converters for wii and gc that you can ge tat the moment and they dont work.

I havent tried to change the stick yet but there will be some extra modding needed there too.

i think they arent too bad, but they feel a bit cheap and plasticy after a while.  Thats my opinion anyway.  Heres a couple of guides for modding one from start to finish by the way:
http://shmups.system11.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22837&highlight=mayflash
http://www.ozhadou.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3276

Hope that helps and welcome to the forums!!

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

Kanae

Cheers mate yea Ive heard the stick is has quite loud microswitches and gets loos quite fast. I might jus buy a stick, sanwa buttons and hack a gamepad, that way itt'l cost under $100. Can just use MDF, screws, plexi for the top and maybe some art or vynils.

karizzma

Yes i have this exact stick apart from the buttons and joystick being changed out for some Seimitsu ones.Does me quite well, people seemed impressed when I took it to the prac session at RvB.

Kanae

Oh may I ask where you got the Seimitsu parts? How much were they, I'm looking for a short balltop stick and slightly convex buttons, like the sf and tekken ones, they are easy to push in.

fluxcore

Quote from: karizzma on May 31, 2009, 06:20:57 PM
Yes i have this exact stick apart from the buttons and joystick being changed out for some Seimitsu ones.Does me quite well, people seemed impressed when I took it to the prac session at RvB.

Ahh, that's you that had that stick. I didn't get to try it, but other people said it was really nice (I like Seimitsu parts), and it looked pretty sweet (esp. with the bubble ball top!)
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

karizzma

ya that was me. I couldn't say exactly what those parts were since I bought it off a guy in Whitford through trademe but I could inquire.

BTW flux since you seem to be the place for tech info how would I go about getting some custom artwork for this stick?

fluxcore

I haven't inspected one of those sticks in person, but it looks like there's a decal applied to the top. You'd have to take the buttons out, remove that decal, and then put your art on top.

You could either just get a print out, get it laminated in some manner, and then use dbl sided tape to tape down the edges, or you could go the plexiglass/lexan way and get a sheet of that stuff cut to the right dimensions & make holes for the buttons/stick. You'd then also need to drill some holes around the edges to secure the plexiglass down with, using carriage bolts or similar. This however makes the stick height a bit shorter, which may or may not be a problem depending on how it's mounted underneath.

I guess try the laminated art way first and see if that's good enough for you. Doing all the plexiglass stuff is a bit more involved, and may not be easy if you can't find a supply of it or get it cut for you.

Not sure if you saw my Viper TE stick that was on the main TV yesterday, but that one had Lexan on the top. I also put a nut between the shaft and the balltop to make the stick a little taller. No-one complained about it, so I guess it's all good... :)
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

karizzma

Is there a place that can do all that for me? Seems like a bit of a process and I have mid years coming up so I have no time.

fluxcore

Which bit? The printing/laminating or the plexi/lexan cutting?

No idea about the latter, I hand cut my own from some bits my mother randomly brought home from work a few years ago.
Printers aren't too hard to find, I'm sure geneterror on these boards can give you some hints, and laminators shouldn't be hard to find either.

TBH I quite like the Darth Vader-all-black look of the stock mayflash...

karizzma

I don't mind the look either apart from the numbers and things on it. So I would have to change it all anyway and I thought while doing it I could change the look of it. Maybe put some support for the balrog army on the stick.

stereomonkey

Quote from: Kanae on May 31, 2009, 05:22:40 PM
I might jus buy a stick, sanwa buttons and hack a gamepad, that way itt'l cost under $100. Can just use MDF, screws, plexi for the top and maybe some art or vynils.

I highly doubt it will cost under $100 to make..  Besides the material you need tools.  Soldering Iron, drill, wires, paint, wood, buttons, stick, time, patience and skills.

If you have the tools then yes, it will fall under $100.  If not then it's going to hurt your wallet.  Like when I did mine :'(
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

[8-----D] Toots

I have the same stick and have modded it with Sanwa parts.

I got most of the information from this NZ guy known as BBSF on SRK. He has a bunch of pics on his photostream detailing his mod.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17680681@N03/

The only prob I have with this stick is the funky button mapping for ps3 and the 'feel' of the case. Also as a stock stick it is pretty shitty tbh. Your basically buying it for its compatibility and case which is still well worth it.

The cheapest place to buy it from is probably play-asia

Are you going to use this for ps3 or dual mod it so it works on the xbox too?
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-49-en-70-3d9n.html

stereomonkey

I'm sure I read on SRK somewhere that those converters have minor input lags.
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"