• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Low Tiers

Started by [NIUE] Optimus DAVE, June 30, 2009, 04:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoneyBadger

What I don't like, is people picking a low tier character and then using it as an excuse "Oh, it's because I'm using a low tier character". Maybe the matchup was hard but I hate it when people use shit like "It's cause you're playing x character, that's cheap." or "At least I can play more than one character". I'm glad all of our low tier heroes will say "I just need to work out ways to get around this" rather than "Fuck x character/player entirely"
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

zos'la

I totally don't agree with you Bill, low tier/high tier wth.
its the player not the char, get it right.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

CrazyMobius

Quote from: zosla on July 01, 2009, 03:26:40 PM

If this is true then wouldn't the winning ratios all be even across the board?

electric

And wouldn't Seth vs. Zangief be a 50/50 match ?
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

Hydro

ABSOLUTE TOSH

What a load of bunkim Andy, tiers exist in every SF game; and while SFIV has the lowest descrepancy between the highest and lowest tiered characters, such a list still exists, it has nothing to do with players at all.

I think the last time I checked (Whan claw was ranked bottom) the SFIV ratings the difference between Claw and Sagat was about 30pts, that's like the difference between Chun (Top) and Ryu(Mid) on 3S, nothing like SSF2T where the difference is like 80pts. So, while the difference between the characters isn't as vast (no 8-2 matches AT ALL) there's still a ranking between them.

Will: Total agree with your post brother, you earned a free drink at the tourney for that one. 

HoneyBadger

Quote from: CrazyMobius on July 01, 2009, 03:37:23 PM

If this is true then wouldn't the winning ratios all be even across the board?

No, they wouldn't. Some players are just better players.

Andy, you can't deny that most characters fall short in some areas and are weaker in some areas than others. I don't think any of us are saying that it's impossible for a character to win certain matchups but you cannot deny that some characters would just have to work harder vs others because one can capitalise on another's weak point(s)
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

Lennysaurus

New tierlist just out!!!!
Top= Gen!!
Bottom= Everyone Else!!
HAHAHAH!! But  seriously....

Hers the 411 on tiers!

If you like winning heaps at no cost!  You pick from the top!
If you like playing a character cause of thier look/style/combos/etc pick whoever.  If they happen to be low tier, then sucks to be you.
If you like picking low tier cause you want an excuse for your losing.  Pick a better character and learn fundamentals, then pick whomever you like.

The reality is that there are tiers in all fighting games.  If you believe that there is no difference, you are plain wrong.  To be honest, I think all this crap about SFIV being the most balance is a load of crap.  I personally think that as the game has evolved more and more, and we are learning more and more, that the gap in the tierlist is becoming larger and larger between the top and bottom.  I think that asthe game evolves and the tierlist changes, we will see this more and more over time.

This is why we give mad props to guys that are good with the lower tiers.  Cause its harder for them to win.  It is also why we are constantly seeing the same characters winning tournamentts the world over.  You cant deny it cause its true, I can point you to hundreds of tourney results that prove this.

One last thing Id like to say however, is that the true low-tier warriors (ie, the guys that use low tier and actually win a fair bit) never use the characters "rank" as an excuse for the win, and in most cases truely believe their character to be misrepresented in the tierlist.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

massi4h

Anyone who knows smash (melee), knows that Marth was low tier for so long. Then Ken (World number 1) picked him up and discovered so much with him. All these special techniques and pretty much a new way to use him. After a few years he is not 2nd top tier with Fox by less than 0.1 (out of 10).

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

Quote from: Smoofikith on July 01, 2009, 02:52:01 PM
What I don't like, is people picking a low tier character and then using it as an excuse "Oh, it's because I'm using a low tier character". Maybe the matchup was hard but I hate it when people use shit like "It's cause you're playing x character, that's cheap." or "At least I can play more than one character". I'm glad all of our low tier heroes will say "I just need to work out ways to get around this" rather than "Fuck x character/player entirely"

Fuck Sagat he's cheap hahahhahahahhahaha
SONIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

CrazyMobius

Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on July 01, 2009, 04:49:15 PM

This is why we give mad props to guys that are good with the lower tiers.  Cause its harder for them to win.  It is also why we are constantly seeing the same characters winning tournamentts the world over.  You cant deny it cause its true, I can point you to hundreds of tourney results that prove this.

Quoted for Truth man.

zos'la

seriously all I got say is /care about tiers.
Use what you like, if you lose its your problem lol coz you are putting your $2 on the line, assuming your at yifan.

I not as into this tier character pick crap, all I know is the character I like using would be teh character I'll try to use on anyone who wants a challenge. High tier low tier to me is a load of crap. I'm a straight forward person who only think of the game = win or lose simple. If you lose then improve to win, if you win then improve even more/ experiment with new things.

If I had the time to look at scale diference btw dmg and what got how many frames over what, what can beat what all teh time then I might as well go do Maths.

Play and use ur experience to judge :)

fluxcore

Yeah and you just HAPPEN to be using a top tier char yeah? And muck around with another top tier char? :)

[/troll]
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

like I said, I don't care who is top tier or not. Just give me all you got :)
Just don't always use that tier crap as an excuse like most other here are.

its liek harden up!!!

CrazyMobius

Quote from: zosla on July 02, 2009, 09:54:29 AM
like I said, I don't care who is top tier or not. Just give me all you got :)
Just don't always use that tier crap as an excuse like most other here are.

its liek harden up!!!

Oh well, at least now you're not pretending tiers don't exist. Nice diversion of the point of discussion though!  ;D

zos'la

its called just go with whatever they say :) coz they are always right and ur never get past that barrier of crap.