• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

WWBWD?

Main Menu

Low Tiers

Started by [NIUE] Optimus DAVE, June 30, 2009, 04:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydro

Quote from: ILL_BILL on July 09, 2009, 03:26:19 PM
In SF4, you know i main Fuerte. I was thinking about picking up Sagat/Ryu for the bad matchups, which is a good plan, but i just didn't in the end. I would personally like to learn the hard matchups and work like a motherfucker for the wins, because i find it that much more satisfying.

Its a good idea to cover your weaknesses i reckon. Particularly if there are matches that are horribly out of favour for you. But i dunno. Its fun being the underdog.

I completely understand where you're coming from with this Will, I'd add a little advice if I may: Stick with Fuerte. Honestly, I used to have horrible match ups vs anyone when I started out with Viper and Claw, (Who at the time were on the bottom half of the lists) but in sticking with them, and understanding their matchups in particular, you can overcome an apparent disadvantage based on character selection.

I couldn't tell you how many people I play online who, upon seeing me select Viper, go straight for Gief or Honda/Blanka/Boxer. I had to learn the hard way but now I know those people had better be damned good on those characters and not just picking them to counter/expolit the match up with a few randoms specials. I've spent hours in training mode and playing people like that to specifically develop a counter counter match up, I think every character can be pushed beyond a bad-match up as there's weapons in each characters arsenal that we may overlook because they're not universally good against all characters. Prime example is Viper's close St.mk, which is awesome anti air vs shoto's right on top of you or square jumping in your face, also her very underrated c.hk which works as anti air in the Boxer match up with amazing results, then there's others Such as Claw's df.mk which, when done meaty on wake up, whiffs ANY reversal move bar DPs, it stops any throw attempt, honda's headbutt, rush punches etc, mosts moves that would normally give Claw fits on his limited wake up pressure tactics.

So, my advice would be stick with him, experiment with the moves you've got in your bad match ups, and look to see what people are trying to exploit against you, and develop some strats to bait people into spamming what you want them to so you can counter accordingly.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: hydrokinesis on July 09, 2009, 03:51:47 PM
Quote from: ILL_BILL on July 09, 2009, 03:26:19 PM
In SF4, you know i main Fuerte. I was thinking about picking up Sagat/Ryu for the bad matchups, which is a good plan, but i just didn't in the end. I would personally like to learn the hard matchups and work like a motherfucker for the wins, because i find it that much more satisfying.

Its a good idea to cover your weaknesses i reckon. Particularly if there are matches that are horribly out of favour for you. But i dunno. Its fun being the underdog.

I completely understand where you're coming from with this Will, I'd add a little advice if I may: Stick with Fuerte. Honestly, I used to have horrible match ups vs anyone when I started out with Viper and Claw, (Who at the time were on the bottom half of the lists) but in sticking with them, and understanding their matchups in particular, you can overcome an apparent disadvantage based on character selection.

I couldn't tell you how many people I play online who, upon seeing me select Viper, go straight for Gief or Honda/Blanka/Boxer. I had to learn the hard way but now I know those people had better be damned good on those characters and not just picking them to counter/expolit the match up with a few randoms specials. I've spent hours in training mode and playing people like that to specifically develop a counter counter match up, I think every character can be pushed beyond a bad-match up as there's weapons in each characters arsenal that we may overlook because they're not universally good against all characters. Prime example is Viper's close St.mk, which is awesome anti air vs shoto's right on top of you or square jumping in your face, also her very underrated c.hk which works as anti air in the Boxer match up with amazing results, then there's others Such as Claw's df.mk which, when done meaty on wake up, whiffs ANY reversal move bar DPs, it stops any throw attempt, honda's headbutt, rush punches etc, mosts moves that would normally give Claw fits on his limited wake up pressure tactics.

So, my advice would be stick with him, experiment with the moves you've got in your bad match ups, and look to see what people are trying to exploit against you, and develop some strats to bait people into spamming what you want them to so you can counter accordingly.

Yea thats what ive found eh. Plus i dont have nearly as much fun with any of the other characters. And id rather be playing for fun than anything else. Admittedly Viper and Claw look interesting, if only because they dont play conventionally. I might dabble in those two after the tourney.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

geneterror

Both my mains Abel and Sakura are lower down on the tier chart but I refuse to give them up and like others say taking out Sagat/Boxer/Ryu/Gief with them is so satisfying.
I have picked up Dictator on the side though.
KOW 2011

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: geneterror on July 09, 2009, 05:21:05 PM
Both my mains Abel and Sakura are lower down on the tier chart but I refuse to give them up and like others say taking out Sagat/Boxer/Ryu/Gief with them is so satisfying.
I have picked up Dictator on the side though.

I hope youre gonna be reppin some sakura at the tourney. I haven't seen her played well yet.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

electric

I've picked Akuma up on the side of my Abel, but mostly because his rush down game is fun as hell, rather than because he's considered "top tier"

I've always been an "up the guts" sort of guy... even from back in the Quake 2 days, so the mobile/evasive characters seem more my style

I don't think I could ever play a zoning Sagat or Dhalsim just because I'm not the patient type, and my game definitely suffers because of it lol

I don't ever see myself dropping Abel though... the guy is just too much fun to use. Plus he's fucking French... FRENCH!
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

fluxcore

I could say heaps here, but I'm tired so I won't.

I believe what James says to a degree, if you are truly dedicated to a char you can overcome the bad matchups, but it's still hard work - and indeed, harder work than you could get away with, if using another char. Also, in some games the low tiers really can't do much at all, or have some matchups so bad it's really not worth trying.

As for me, I think Seth is actually the right char for me. I really don't have the time or the competition available to be able to learn a char like Viper enough to make up for the bad matches, so I was looking for another. My Boxer has turned to utter shite and I don't really find him very invigorating to play as.

I was actually almost considering maining Ryu just to make a point :P But fuck it, I find Seth really fun.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

it seems that its not low tiers really its more

"i like that character and the tiers are just there oh well" kinda thing lol

thats cool, thats what i like about nz being so small, you'll have a few top tier users then alot of kiwi low tier-ers haha

i kinda see it as kiwi style kinda thing......D.I.Y buzz

like i love sagat (as non homo sounding as i can be) but guile is SO much MORE FUN to play with against people, altho sometimes frustrating

maybe they should take low tiers out and call them fun tiers lol
The New Generation Clockw0rk

Lennysaurus

Quote from: ADism on July 09, 2009, 09:37:00 PM

Quote of the thread.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: fluxcore on July 09, 2009, 09:24:40 PM
I could say heaps here, but I'm tired so I won't.

I believe what James says to a degree, if you are truly dedicated to a char you can overcome the bad matchups, but it's still hard work - and indeed, harder work than you could get away with, if using another char. Also, in some games the low tiers really can't do much at all, or have some matchups so bad it's really not worth trying.

As for me, I think Seth is actually the right char for me. I really don't have the time or the competition available to be able to learn a char like Viper enough to make up for the bad matches, so I was looking for another. My Boxer has turned to utter shite and I don't really find him very invigorating to play as.

I was actually almost considering maining Ryu just to make a point :P But fuck it, I find Seth really fun.

Thats how i look at it too, and was ultimately why i abandoned my plans of learning Ryu/Sagat. I beat out a solid 50% of decent santhrax/MSP/scrub and the like using Anakaris/Storm/Sonson in marvel, (and if you play marvel, you know that for anakaris/storm/sonson, thats a GOOD number) so i know first hand how hard work inevitably pays off. Ill just have to get to that point with Fuerte. At least in SF4 i dont have to fight fucking sentinel.

And im gonna end on this too.

Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on July 09, 2009, 10:24:53 PM

Quote of the thread.

<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

electric

Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on July 09, 2009, 10:24:53 PM

Quote of the thread.

It WAS the quote of the thread.

Quote from: ILL_BILL on July 10, 2009, 12:34:24 AM
At least in SF4 i dont have to fight fucking sentinel.

New winner.
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

is it just me or is guile seeing alot of play lately......maybe its just me

lol claw anyone haha......

maybe we can have some low tier tourny kinda things maybe hmmmmm

also when you do pick a low tier whats the reason behind that?

character design? character move set?....just because?

fluxcore

In general I try to avoid them, I hate having to do lots of work in fighting games. When I do pick them it's because I find them fun, either because of design or fucking AWESOME LOOKING MOVES

THE DAMAGER
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

Quote from: fluxcore on July 13, 2009, 11:36:53 AM
In general I try to avoid them, I hate having to do lots of work in fighting games.

I've never really thought about this point before when picking a character lol....interesting.

I guess awesome looking moves do make up quite alot of choices for me.

.......gotta love the MVC2 THCs and DHCs ::) ::)

zos'la

Anyone want to try my Cammy? :P
god she is fun :D and sexy looking, just like the blonde i am looking for!!!

back on topic.
For any game, if you don't put any effort in learning the char and matchups you won't get anywhere, this applies to anything in real life, you don't work hard enought, you dun get a promotion.

There are many ways of doing it and some people realise and learn faster than others because they got potentials others who don't have will have to work harder to get what they want.
Every person have their own thing for using the character they use and it doesnt matter what tier they are in, as long as u enjoy using that character and learning them from in to out. that is all it matters.

but if your the type to lose and blame tier/bad macthup then I would advise you something that won't make you feel that way if you lose or win or whatever.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: zosla on July 13, 2009, 12:41:25 PM
Anyone want to try my Cammy? :P
god she is fun :D and sexy looking, just like the blonde i am looking for!!!

back on topic.
For any game, if you don't put any effort in learning the char and matchups you won't get anywhere, this applies to anything in real life, you don't work hard enought, you dun get a promotion.

There are many ways of doing it and some people realise and learn faster than others because they got potentials others who don't have will have to work harder to get what they want.
Every person have their own thing for using the character they use and it doesnt matter what tier they are in, as long as u enjoy using that character and learning them from in to out. that is all it matters.

but if your the type to lose and blame tier/bad macthup then I would advise you something that won't make you feel that way if you lose or win or whatever.

Oh god...hes not wrong.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.