• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

King Of Fighters XI

Started by fluxcore, February 21, 2007, 03:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

Note: topic was split from the topic in Game Releases.

One thing I find pretty rude in the match vids I've seen is that when you kill off a char with a grappler, you get a FREE (?!!) super grapple on the opponent as they come in? Or am I missing something? I've never seen anyone get out of it (unless the timing was off).

Although, the same people seem to do some super of Oswald's when he flies up into the air, which even ON HIT can be counter supered by Gato...

I'm looking forward to trying out Ash, DuoLon and Oswald anyway. I'll probably switch Duo out for someone else when I realise I hate him though.

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

that would take sum pretty good timing to land those throw dms....cos alot of people can counter it....well.....i can ;D, altho i havnt played too many grapplers that do that to me....

as for duolon, your gona think he's alright....my 2nd best character, but far from my favourite......oswald, i find quite predictable......ash's moves remind me too much of guile/charlie.....and i luv to turtle with him.....i lyk annoying my opponents...

as for the release...?

wats the haps?
The New Generation Clockw0rk

fluxcore

This time next week AFAIK. I have it preordered through GPstore (along with CCC2), and I'll definitely update the site when each are in my hands.

I've always been a bit of a Guile/Charlie whore, so I think I'll like Ash somewhat. So far I haven't seen any character which makes me REALLY want to play them... I don't really want to stick to god tier, either. Who are your favourites then?

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

i think nearly everyone has been a guile/charlie whore once in their lifetime.....oh id totally forgotten about ccc2......how could i, for shame ::)

as for favourites, shingo is by far my most favouritest kof character ever EVER!!!!!!!

after that im not too fussy.....but yeh i totally agree with your statement on the roster not having a character screaming out pick me.....oswald did that for me for awhile....then i got bored and couldnt be bothered learning him......

where do ur preferences lie on the kof character roster?

fluxcore

Well, the only two KoFs I've really played much are 97 and 02... in 97 I was pretty much Iori and Andy + whoever else (Ryo, Robert...), mainly because I was a street fighter player trying to play kof. 02 was much better though, Angel was my big favourite, I liked Whip (who sucks in XI apparently), Iori, Athena, Vanessa, K' a bit, Kula... I know the last three are pretty good in XI, but I don't know that I really want to play them.

--flux

samurai black

ralf: cr. C xx Unblock = the sole reason I play ralf

gunsmoke

Quote from: samurai black on February 21, 2007, 06:41:26 PM
ralf: cr. C xx Unblock = the sole reason I play ralf

4 me well Three hits combo too good and simple to pull . ::) ::) ::) Man BIG BIG damage ........... 8) 8) 8)
LiFe iS gOoD wHeN u WaNa Be!

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

I like how david finds oswald predictable, despite the fact that oswald has a link into his LDM from ANY situation, has mad reach, and outprioritises almost everything on the ground. I think what david is saying is that MY oswald is predictable, despite the fact that he still craps all over david. Oswald is one of the best characters in the game, and he has arguably the best LDM. Oswald is my character that screamed "pick me" and as such, hes permanently attached to all of my teams. hes well rounded, awesome in all situations, and has the best LDM to boot. He can be difficult to learn if you dont have any patience, since a lot of the time he requires absolutely perfect timing, but once you do learn him, you'll be glad that you did.

K' and Kula are very good in kofxi. I personally frown upon using kula. Shes way easier to use than a fighting game character that strong should be.

Vanessa can potentially be QUITE good, but nothing far above average IMO. plus shes very VERY difficult to use. I

Iori zones very well, but hes been slowed down a bit and his qcb+p x3 has had HUGE reduction on damage. his godly jumping d is good to normal jump counter other peoples jump ins, but since the speed is very slow now, its next to useless to jump in with. his j.c on the other hand is like being hit by a train, this move alone is where half the damage on his bnb comes from.

Athena blows.

Ash's j.d is waaaay too good for you to sit there and turtle with him. At least in my opinion. Turtle if you like but you ARE going to get grappled. He is a strong character, and hes really easy to learn aswell. Not on the same broken vain as kula, and the finer points of using him get quite technical (infinite variations etc) All in all hes a great character to start out with. Also, his command grab into his fireball super is arguably the most satisfying thing in that game, even though in terms of damage its like being scratched by a cat that has no legs.

Ralf can go get fucked. /HATE

I love duo lon. but unfortunately ive got into the slum of him being very very one dimensional in my hands. But he does have arguably THE best quick shift combo in the game with oswald. Samurai black LOVES getting hit by it. so much so that i generally do it to him 2-3 times every game. What can i say? im a giving person.

Whip sucks to use, and shes easy to fight once you learn to telegraph everything, but almost noone (including myself) is used to fighting her. so it can be useful to pull her out of your ass at times.

Easy characters to learn with little/no experience:

Ash, Iori, Shingo, Shen, Kula (im not gonna frown on a new person using her, but once you get good, if you persist in using kula, i hate you. *cough* HOI *cough*), elizabeth, jenet(can be), eiji(IMO).

Advanced characters:

Oswald, momoko, gai, vanessa, whip, kyo, clark(if only because of that ONE combo into his dreamcancel that i cannot pull off for the life of me), ramon.

all the other characters are basically the middle ground, though some are considerably better than others. The thing about kofxi is its just about balanced. the only outliers really are gato/kula/oswald, and whip/momoko at either end of the tier list. Play with whoevers the most fun for you and you will do well. This is what ben does, and hes heaps better than richard who generally doesnt enjoy anything save MVC2.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Nice post!

My only beef with Oswald is that the character himself isn't that interesting to me. And as good as his LDM is, by god it takes a long ass time to finish :D I'm guessing his unblockable corner 'infinite' isn't practical? I always like broken shit in game engines (not to be confused with broken characters!), but after seeing 99999999 oswald matches I haven't seen it once. Having said this, I'm sure Os will become the leader of all my teams as well.

I'm kind of pissed that Iori was nerfed a bit, although he HAS been top tier for about 10 years now. I might try him out, but I'm not really enthusiastic about playing him this time around.

I might well try Vanessa just for kicks, but I don't really have the time to put into learning a complex character anymore... it's not like I'm still at school!

As for Ash... I wasn't ever a turtle Guile/Charlie! I think they are also good enough characters to not have to rely on turtling. I don't intend to make him Leader (I think Oswald is a better choice), but maybe I could be swayed. Some of the matches I've seen with him as leader have been kind of impressive.

DuoLon and Eiji are both contenders for me to play, but I've never actually seen either of them do much... from what I understand Eiji relys on whoring moves, and I don't really know what DL has other than some dash move.

Duck King is also supposed to be really good (even better on 2p side apparently!), but I'm not so keen on him.

--flux

fluxcore

Quote from: fluxcore on February 22, 2007, 09:36:35 AM
I'm guessing his unblockable corner 'infinite' isn't practical? I always like broken shit in game engines (not to be confused with broken characters!), but after seeing 99999999 oswald matches I haven't seen it once.

Hate to quote myself, but I forgot that the Os unblock/inf is generally banned in tournies... the vids I've been watching are mainly casuals, but maybe they are just nice to each other :D

--flux

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

I totally forgot about duck king......how could i....he's wickedly awesome......hmm better on 2p side aye.....

As for oswald.....im kinda sticking with my predictableness opinion on him.......his ldm is cool, he has that combo, and the priority on his moves.....but once you've seen a bazillion match videos with him, he gets boring.....ya kno....

as for tha craps all over me statement.....we'll have to see about that :P ::)

Quoteand I don't really know what DL has other than some dash move.

he has the speed to do quite abit of cool tricks....you gotta play him to understand....or try find vids with people using him, altho i kno they'll only be using him for quickshift combo starter......

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

There is one decent duolon video in circulation. just look up kofxi and duo in youtube.

QuoteI totally forgot about duck king......how could i....he's wickedly awesome......hmm better on 2p side aye.....

OMG so did i. Though admittedly i just went into discussion on the characters that were already mentioned in this thread.

QuoteAs for oswald.....im kinda sticking with my predictableness opinion on him.......his ldm is cool, he has that combo, and the priority on his moves.....but once you've seen a bazillion match videos with him, he gets boring.....ya kno....

Boring maybe, if you dont use him. Which of his 10000000000000 combo variations is "that combo?"

Quoteas for tha craps all over me statement.....we'll have to see about that

If youre down for a thrashing ill happily oblige.

Ok, on to you flux.

QuoteMy only beef with Oswald is that the character himself isn't that interesting to me. And as good as his LDM is, by god it takes a long ass time to finish  I'm guessing his unblockable corner 'infinite' isn't practical? I always like broken shit in game engines (not to be confused with broken characters!), but after seeing 99999999 oswald matches I haven't seen it once. Having said this, I'm sure Os will become the leader of all my teams as well.

Fair call. There are far too many people playing oswald. Luckily, almost noone at yifans plays him but me :D. Oswalds corner "infinite" unfortunately IS (or at least can be) practical. Its just usually far more fun to go for his other juggles. Also, while it is an infinite, the damage blows. At least IMO. Its more effort than its worth. More often than not its more useful to just juggle into an ldm. Plus ive only managed the inifnite timing ONCE. And that was a fluke. I know everything there is to know about everything. I just suck at putting it into practice.

QuoteI'm kind of pissed that Iori was nerfed a bit, although he HAS been top tier for about 10 years now. I might try him out, but I'm not really enthusiastic about playing him this time around.

Nerfed, yes, but many of the pro chinese players are finding he is still very useful, if only because he is one of the best zoners in the game (along with ash)

QuoteDuoLon and Eiji are both contenders for me to play, but I've never actually seen either of them do much... from what I understand Eiji relys on whoring moves, and I don't really know what DL has other than some dash move.

Listen to dave for duolon info. while i do know everything, his duo is better than mine. Though im the only duo so far who links super into super in the corner. Wasting meter ftw. Eiji.....The mullet ninja. He is basically about hard knockdown. his qcf+a can counter almost anything, and his qcb+a is a decent anti air. not great, but decent. If youre into broken stuff he has a badass blockstun infinite with his c.d -> dp+a. (might be dp+c i cant remember) He also has the GODLY j.b, and his j.d/j.e wins 90% of all air/air battles.

QuoteDuck King is also supposed to be really good (even better on 2p side apparently!), but I'm not so keen on him

Duck king owns. Bow before duck king. NAO.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Vanessa tutorial. Once you get your head around the dismally hard to read font, then its actually a really good tutorial.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j4DbSuQaSL0
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

gunsmoke

Quote from: ILL_BILL on February 24, 2007, 09:34:15 PM
Vanessa tutorial. Once you get your head around the dismally hard to read font, then its actually a really good tutorial.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j4DbSuQaSL0

U think so ???  ??? ::)
LiFe iS gOoD wHeN u WaNa Be!

fluxcore

As expected, GPStore were wrong & put the release date at either 2nd March or Late March depending on where you read.

NOT HAPPY!

--flux