• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Street Fighter and Move Priority.

Started by CrazyMobius, December 07, 2009, 03:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samurai black

Quote from: fluxcore on December 08, 2009, 10:23:45 AM
completely off-topic and unnecessary comment.

standard procedure on this board.

electric

Keeping this mostly on topic...

Andy - while lots of people (like yourself) play and learn through experience, it doesn't come that easily to others (like myself) ... I prefer to learn the ins and outs of the technical side, as that's the side that makes the most sense to me. I can play 200 rounds against Zangief and still jump in on him, because

a) I'm stupid
b) I learn REALLY slow through experience

Knowing that jumping at Zangief is a bad idea "because it hurts" doesn't mean anything to me... understanding WHY it hurts is more important to me... The only way around lariat is to either stop jumping, or hit him in the head, where he has no active hit box... but you'd never know that if you just stopped jumping altogether
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

zos'la

yes I guess Fluxcore is right about what the question is, but all I am saying is that you best to not think about all that stuff and play the game to your desire as it will clear your mind with all the jubberish :P, honestly I won't call the ones who use the technical terms stupid as I think that maybe a better way to learn the game, though i am not as smart to understand all those technical stuff and CBF lol, so I play with my action - reaction (physics) and experience.

Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

CrazyMobius

the most important point imo is that the OP asked for a TECHNICAL EXPLANATION of the EXPERIENTIAL FINDINGS, so saying "Oh I don't need all this data to play" is a completely off-topic and unnecessary comment.

Yes, thank you!

I started this thread because people talk about priority a fair bit but I've never seen it broken down before. And by the sounds of things it sounds a bit fuzzy on how it's made up.

That mentioning of hit boxes was very interesting as I used to think about that a lot. But not much recently. (I'm talking about conscious thought here btw) So you've got three areas then. An area that hits, an area that can be hit, and an area that's invincible?

I think we all subconsciously get to know these areas over time and experience but for example seeing of the areas of say the light, medium and heavy Flash Kicks would really be an eye opener and you could actively apply that knowledge.

And Graham I didn't know that the hitboxes were an option on HDR. I might try that out just for the fun of it!

fluxcore

Well, tbh an 'invincible' frame is just one where there is NO vulnerability box, i.e. you CANNOT be hit. You could say I suppose that Guile's upside down kick is invincible at the feet, since there's no vulnerability box there, but true invincibility is complete lack of vulnerable area.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

the most important point imo is that the OP asked for a TECHNICAL EXPLANATION of the EXPERIENTIAL FINDINGS, so saying "Oh I don't need all this data to play" is a completely off-topic and unnecessary comment.

My bad. Just explaining shit(my point of view) to Andy. The whole time i was thinking 'this topic should be about PRIORITY anyway. Noone cares what i think about how people think about htiboxes.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

CrazyMobius

Quote from: fluxcore on December 08, 2009, 11:31:44 AM
Well, tbh an 'invincible' frame is just one where there is NO vulnerability box, i.e. you CANNOT be hit. You could say I suppose that Guile's upside down kick is invincible at the feet, since there's no vulnerability box there, but true invincibility is complete lack of vulnerable area.

True, true. Yeah I was meaning moves like Guiles upside down kick or Blanka's hop.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Fuck i'm sure theres something on eventhubs that would explain it in the best way.

Some things are fucked up though, like I can st,HP with Sim twice throuhh Gief's lariot. But I can just sweep him like a bitch with other chars sometimes. Thats where frame counting would come in handy.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

CrazyMobius

Quote from: weazzyefff on December 08, 2009, 12:27:55 PM
Here bro.

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/jul/08/street-fighter-4-strategy-guide-hints-and-tips/

At the bottom in advanced bro. Plus no rambling off topic nonsense lol.

quoted: How does the game decide which moves beat each other?

Some people assume that the moves in Street Fighter have a mysterious 'priority', meaning there's some way the game decides which moves win out if they're both done at nearly the same time, but in reality everything is based off the location of your hit boxes.

If you stick out an attack that connects with your opponent's Hittable Box near the same time they stick out an attack that also connects with your blue boxes, your attacks will 'trade hits'.

Thanks bro. That explains it all.

CrazyMobius

Mind you someone answered this curious question:

What's the deal with a standing jab/short beating out a honda headbutt when the headbutt doesn't have a blue hitbox on the head ? How is it that red (hitbox) beats out red.. isn't that some kind of 'priority'?
I saw this question in an earlier post.. but that was about a jumping lk beating out a headbutt..
Can anyone answer this?

fluxcore

sounds pretty much exactly like what I said in my first post...
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

electric

Hitting someones red box does nothing -- so in the case of jab beating Honda, it's because your red box hits his blue box (feet) before his red box (head) can hit your blue box (your torso)

Quote from: fluxcore on December 08, 2009, 12:50:47 PM
sounds pretty much exactly like what I said in my first post...

And like what I said in my first post... except this post was concise and legible lol
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: CrazyMobius on December 08, 2009, 12:42:02 PM
Mind you someone answered this curious question:

What's the deal with a standing jab/short beating out a honda headbutt when the headbutt doesn't have a blue hitbox on the head ? How is it that red (hitbox) beats out red.. isn't that some kind of 'priority'?
I saw this question in an earlier post.. but that was about a jumping lk beating out a headbutt..
Can anyone answer this?

wow, true aye, thats a hard one, hmmmm.... I call bullshit.

OR the jab was beating the start up frames of the headbut, not standing far back just jabbing off hondas headbut like a bitch.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.