• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Street Fighter and Move Priority.

Started by CrazyMobius, December 07, 2009, 03:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyMobius

Hey does anyone know how priority works in SF4? (or just SF in general) Do moves get assigned priority numbers or is it about invincibility frames? Also are there any famous normal moves that have insane priority or even characters.

Hopefully one of the new Street Fighter Scientists (That's you Toomeke)or Old School Scholars (Flux) can shed some light.

Thanks.

fluxcore

Without looking at code it's pretty much impossible to know.

In general I don't think there's any 'magic number' describing how awesome a move is, it's more a combination of their hit boxes, vulnerability boxes, start up time and invincibility.

There is however the fact that in code, there is an order in which statements get executed. It's entirely possible that this means some moves get evaluated earlier and therefore may win or lose over other moves consistently.

For instance, in UMK3, at the start of each round apparently one player is determined to be 'the one with priority' and things like same-frame jumping attack exchanges will ALWAYS go in the favour of that player for that round. Yeah, that's pretty stupid.

HTH
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

electric

From my understanding, it's like Flux said... Hitboxes, start up, active frames, invincibility frames etc all rolled into one to make this mythical "priority" attribute.

You have boxes that hit, and boxes that can BE hit... if one of your hittable boxes is in the way of a box that can hit, you will be beat out. Hit invincibility (ala Rufus' EX messiah, Abel's EX/normal roll) works by taking away the box that can be hit for a certain number of frames, and trades occur when two moves' hittable boxes collide with each other.

Sorry if that sounds confusing, but it makes sense... although I'm not very good at explaining it
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: electric on December 07, 2009, 04:47:43 PM
From my understanding, it's like Flux said... Hitboxes, start up, active frames, invincibility frames etc all rolled into one to make this mythical "priority" attribute.

You have boxes that hit, and boxes that can BE hit... if one of your hittable boxes is in the way of a box that can hit, you will be beat out. Hit invincibility (ala Rufus' EX messiah, Abel's EX/normal roll) works by taking away the box that can be hit for a certain number of frames, and trades occur when two moves' hittable boxes collide with each other.

Sorry if that sounds confusing, but it makes sense... although I'm not very good at explaining it
Yeah you confused me lol. And best ''priority '' moves would be invincible frames with hit frames like EX Upeercuts .
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

here are some sf4 hit boxes , only ones ever released

"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

massi4h

I know lots of games prioritise one player, if they clash on the exact same frame. Super Smash Bros does this, but prioritises the closest to Player 1.

CrazyMobius

Yes I remember hit boxes now. I remember Night Warriors had a code where you code make the hitboxes visible during play.

I'd like to see a lot more online guides with SF4 hitboxes. (More so than frames rates.)

geneterror

SSF4 should have an option to turn on hit boxes in training like HD:Remix does!
KOW 2011

Hydro

Quote from: geneterror on December 08, 2009, 08:05:29 AM
SSF4 should have an option to turn on hit boxes in training like HD:Remix does!

Hell yes. 

zos'la

I think also timing is very important as well, to be included in the table in context to this question.

I personally just do whatever works best, it is like when I see a move I do certain moves to counter, instink thing I guess? playing witht eh frame rates and numbers/ invisibility is too much for me lol. just whatever works for me!!!
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: zosla on December 08, 2009, 08:36:06 AM
I think also timing is very important as well, to be included in the table in context to this question.

I personally just do whatever works best, it is like when I see a move I do certain moves to counter, instink thing I guess? playing witht eh frame rates and numbers/ invisibility is too much for me lol. just whatever works for me!!!

Frames/hitboxes/numbers/invincibility is the reason WHY its working. I guarantee that You DO think about it, at least subconsciously. That 'instinct' you think you have, is actually based on experience and knowledge of these things.

For example: Why dont you jump in on a gief lariat? Because it will hit you right? Well, WHY will it hit you? Because of where the active hitbox is. Similarly, how do you punish it? Hes vulnerable low, so you sweep him? WHY is he vulnerable low? because his 'hittable' area is there, and is not protected by any active/invincible hitboxes at the right distance.

Its the same with footsies. You walk into your opponents sweep range, and then quickly out again, so that you can punish the inevitable sweep. The range that your judging is based on where the hitboxes of both characters are.

You ARE thinking about hitboxes. You just havent realised it. The only people that dont think about the hitboxes (Where things hit. What will beat them from what range etc.) are mashers. Plain and simple. If you know where an attack will hit you, and where you can punish an attack, youre thinking about hitboxes. Its actually a lot less technical than you think.

PRIORITY is a totally different thing alltogether. But again, its something we think about, that some of us may not realise. What move do you use to counter? The one that beats the opponents attack. WHY does it beat the opponents attack? Higher priority.

There you go Andy, you know more about all of this than you thought you did. :)
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

zos'la

Bill, I get what you are saying, but like in my dictionary I don't think about those things too much as mentioned. Its like as you said experience? someone sweep me, I walk back and forward again and counter, plain simple logic even in the real world. I mean I don't know the hitbox range, frame rate or whatever it is, probably subconcious reaction as u mentioned. I may know more than I think I do but then again i never think about it since I really hate thinking soo much durign the game, I play to enjoy and relax :D I remember my first time hearing startup frame for a Ryu srk from ben at his pad... I was like err... what iz tat.

So really, I think getting too technical in all this is really frustrating tbh, just play as you please and really judge you gameplay with experience. But I guess some knowledge would always be of help ( thanks BEN!!! ) he is my dictionary lol.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

fluxcore

Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: zosla on December 08, 2009, 09:57:45 AM
Bill, I get what you are saying, but like in my dictionary I don't think about those things too much as mentioned. Its like as you said experience? someone sweep me, I walk back and forward again and counter, plain simple logic even in the real world. I mean I don't know the hitbox range, frame rate or whatever it is, probably subconcious reaction as u mentioned. I may know more than I think I do but then again i never think about it since I really hate thinking soo much durign the game, I play to enjoy and relax :D I remember my first time hearing startup frame for a Ryu srk from ben at his pad... I was like err... what iz tat.

So really, I think getting too technical in all this is really frustrating tbh, just play as you please and really judge you gameplay with experience. But I guess some knowledge would always be of help ( thanks BEN!!! ) he is my dictionary lol.

What im trying to say is that all the stuff discussed is just words. It makes it all sound really technical, but mostly its natural assessment of the situation in-game.

One person can say 'My sweep punishes Zangiefs lariat',

and another can say:

'Due to the active hitbox position on zangiefs lariat, the punish i can use is my sweep, due to its active hitbox being able to strike zangief in his vulnerable hitbox where he is not protected by the aggressive points on the lariat'

They both mean the exact same thing. What im saying is that the first person is thinking the same thing as the second person, hes just doing it differently. Like you say, its plain and simple logic really.

Its just words and technical terms and things. Makes it sound complex, but most people actually DO understand it all, at least on some level.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

the most important point imo is that the OP asked for a TECHNICAL EXPLANATION of the EXPERIENTIAL FINDINGS, so saying "Oh I don't need all this data to play" is a completely off-topic and unnecessary comment.