• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Street Fighter and Move Priority.

Started by CrazyMobius, December 07, 2009, 03:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydro

Also remember that hit boxes in particular are only 'on' at certain times during an attack, moves with higher priority seem to fall into one or more of three categories:

those that have low Start up frames, high Active frames and some Invincibility frames.

For example Chun and Boxers c.lp in SFIV both have only 3 frames of start up, which means they'll beat out *most* moves with a slower start up if done at the same time. Blanka's Standing hk also has a 3 frame start up before it's active frames which makes it a particularly good anti-air move, the list goes on etc etc etc

One of the initial complaints about SFIV was a decrease in active frames for 'meaty' or heavy moves in comparison to older SF games (SSF2T esp), moves like a level 3 focus attack only have as little as 2 active frames (as in 2 frames where they actually hit) which leads to all sorts of crazy things if you're planning on trapping someone with a focus attack in the corner as they can dash backwards 'through' the LVL3 focus to avoid it, as your hit invincibility to non-projectile and non-grab moves is around 4-8 frames depending on a character's backdash.

Other things like weird hitboxes also contribute to move priority, one example I hope is fixed in SSFIV is C.Viper's c.mk. Her attack hit box is only as far as the start of her foot (Ankle), where as her vulnerable hitbox extends to the end of her foot, leaving a tasty *punish* zone where c.mk happy shoto's can literally hit her as she goes for the poke. Stupid. there's also moves that stay 'active' a lot longer than others, typically these are jabs and short moves, but some I know there's a couple of others that hit for a 'long time' more than they should.

I don't know if any of this helps shed a little more light on some of the properties behind priority, but I thought I'd post it up anyway.

Good topic too.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Thats retarded about her mk. Although it sounds to me like the active frames of the move are just ending too early (fucked up how its coded maybe?), which is why it could appear that there is a vulnerability at the end of her foot. This would make more sense to me. But fuck, if the 'red' box is BEHIND the vulnerable box...wtf?
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Yeah, how do you actually KNOW the hitboxes for that move?
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Hydro

Quote from: fluxcore on December 08, 2009, 05:21:40 PM

Someone had a pic of some of Viper's normals with hitbox included in on SRK, I think it was the Moveset thread. That's how we all found out about her close s.mk stopping jumps right above you. . . :D

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Oh well. Fuck I know it anyway. Thqts good enough for me. Should of ended with my link. The rest are just addons. Pwah.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: weazzyefff on December 08, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Oh well. Fuck I know it anyway. Thqts good enough for me. Should of ended with my link. The rest are just addons. Pwah.

Shouldve started with that link imo. I totally forgot that was even on event hubs.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

B BOY DRAW2

Quote from: hydrokinesis on December 08, 2009, 05:51:50 PM

Someone had a pic of some of Viper's normals with hitbox included in on SRK, I think it was the Moveset thread. That's how we all found out about her close s.mk stopping jumps right above you. . . :D
mmm...I wouldn't mind jumping into Vipers little hit box...
...Giggity giggity  ;)
I bliss...like the fist...of the mantis...
Those who oppose get dropped and hit the canvas.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

It might of been the recovery frames, like all the sweeps.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: weazzyefff on December 09, 2009, 02:54:28 AM

Thats what i said...>_>
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: ILL_BILL on December 09, 2009, 07:48:09 AM

Thats what i said...>_>
That shit you wrote doesnt even make sense fool, WTF.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: weazzyefff on December 09, 2009, 09:37:43 AM
Quote from: ILL_BILL on December 09, 2009, 07:48:09 AM

Thats what i said...>_>
That shit you wrote doesnt even make sense fool, WTF.

Active frames ending = move going into recovery frames. 'too early' meaning that the hit frames appear to still be active, when in fact theyre not.

Fucks sake. Its not rocket science.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

You just like saying it in a fucked up way.

Mine sounds better. Recovery frames = All the shit you just said. Even though you tried simplifying your last post lol.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

I give long winded answers to things. I like shit to be specific.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: fluxcore on December 09, 2009, 12:23:57 PM
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2009/dec/08/street-fighter-4-zoning-and-hit-box-video-tutorial/

watch this

shut up
NOBODY links eventhubs but ME!!!.

Damn cant watch it, net's fucked. Doesnt matter the comments says weazzy is brilliant.