• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Capcom To Adopt 2.5D For Future Fighters

Started by geneterror, January 22, 2010, 07:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geneterror

http://kotaku.com/5453638/capcom-to-adopt-25d-for-future-fighters

QuoteCapcom made quite a splash in 2008 when their near reboot of Street Fighter IV combined the depth and detail of 3D graphics placed over the traditional controls and mechanics of a 2D fighting game.

The developers liked the 2.5D effect so much they decided to apply it to upcoming Wii fighter Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars and producer Ryota Niitsuma tells Kotaku that all Capcom fighting games for the foreseeable future will also use the visual effect.

"I think that was the best way to present the Capcom and Tatsunoko characters to their fullest," Niitsuma said through a translator. "I think at Capcom one of our specialties is 2D fighting action and we have had a great history of making games like that.

"The 3D models on a 2D plane is a very good match and all of the (game) systems are capable of supporting such a feature. When making such games we can show our knowhow. Going out into the future I can't say it will remain like this forever, but for the forseeable future I can see us making our games in this style."

In some ways, giving Capcom games 3D graphics without messing with the company's fighting system allows them to update the look of the game without reinventing them. But Niitsuma says that isn't the biggest challenge he faces as a fighting game producer.

"I think one problem that fighting games have is that there is a real split between hard-core fighting game fans and casual gamers," he said. "I don't think there has been a game made that addresses that divide. You have a lot of good fighting games out there, but the problem is that the learning curve is pretty intense. You have these casual fighting fans who get overwhelmed by that."

"From here on out whenever we are making a fighting game the challenge is to make a game that appeals to fighting game fans and draw in new fans. That's my a personal challenge."

Thoughts?
KOW 2011

CrazyMobius

Sweet! They plan on making more fighting games!  ;D

fluxcore

The graphics are about the only thing in SF4 I still like, so as long as they make the games a bit less stupid then "right on"
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

stereomonkey

"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

CrazyMobius

Quote from: fluxcore on January 22, 2010, 07:52:58 AM
The graphics are about the only thing in SF4 I still like, so as long as they make the games a bit less stupid then "right on"

I think they just dumbed it down for the Worldwide (general/casual) audience. I don't thing TVC was similar in approach to SF4, but I could be wrong.

So yeah I'd say if they release 2.5D fighters they will more than likely be for Japanese audiences and so hopefully won't have a lot of the things that hardcore crowd dislike about SF4.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

samurai black

be cool if they explored different artstyles for other games....

but if they keep the similar aesthetic, maybe we'll get a 2.5D crossover at some point, like how sfa/x-men: cota/marvel super heroes thing worked.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Dont know why the dumb it down for. Maybe the scare.

T6 is more confusing, and the casual gamers love it. Myp list can prove it. All the hardout sf4 players just play sf4. All the hardout T6 players play all sorts of games.

Where did Capcom go wrong? Marketing maybe? Piano key chars not pad friendly perhaps? Maybe it was the graphics? Maybe it's because they listen to the fans, and not the massively larger casual gamers.

Fuck knows, feel free to bitch about anything i said. I'm gonna go get drunk then go to piha to smash Bill IRL.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

fluxcore

All hardout T6 players play all sorts of games? I've never met a hardout tekken player that plays anything but tekken. Very few will touch SF for instance. Unless you mean games that are not fighting games, in which case that's a complete load of bollocks.

And from at least the scene around here, no casual players will touch T6:BR, whereas there are tons of newbs on SF4.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Nah i meant the dudes on my list. Wait a min, i even said that.

They play games like MW2 and every other game you can think of. Whereas sf4 dudes are always playing sf4. Do you know wadamean, do read wadaright.

Arcades is different, cos no casual gamer gonna spend $2 a game to get raped lol.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

B BOY DRAW2

Quote from: weazzyefff on January 22, 2010, 12:35:19 PMThey play games like MW2 and every other game you can think of. Whereas sf4 dudes are always playing sf4.

I agree. I'm one of those guys!!! I dabble in a bit of GTA and highly recommend Trials HD for downtime...but I even bought MW2...night vision and all...and maybe played it 3 times  :-\

But the SF4 disc lives in my XBOX.

And the dudes in my friends list WERE playing SF4 until other stuff came out i.e. MW2
For me it also comes down to the fact that I've forked out 2 arcade sticks..now I wanna use them puppies...and as long as some decent fighter games are coming out...that's where I'll be.

I bliss...like the fist...of the mantis...
Those who oppose get dropped and hit the canvas.

geneterror

Quote from: ILL_BILL on January 22, 2010, 10:43:47 AM
VAMPIRE SAVIOUR
Ono has already said he wants to work on a new Darkstalkers when SSF4 is done. One thing I have noticed about 3D fighters is that they are not as "fast" as 2D games. Vampire Saviour moved quite quickly, I'm on the fence regarding a 2.5D version of Darkstalkers. I actually think the models could look quite good I'm just worried that the game would be to slow?
KOW 2011

fluxcore

Get ready for more games with high startup-frame throws!

Lennysaurus

Quote from: fluxcore on January 22, 2010, 04:32:04 PM
Get ready for more games with high startup-frame throws!

Really?  I thought Street Fighter was only 3 frames?

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero