• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Its about time to buy a console.

Started by jpb123, September 23, 2010, 01:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electric

Quote from: geneterror on September 23, 2010, 04:29:01 PMEach has their own advantages and disadvantages I'm def not trying to run down the Xbox, I mean I am going to buy one but at the end of the day I'm a PS3 person, if it wasn't for all the good cunts on NZism that play on Xbox there would be know reason for me to get one.

Exactly how I feel.

Technically (and spec wise) the PS3 comes out on top, but, if you're somewhat serious about playing fighting games in NZ, XBox is where you're going to find the most competition.
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

karizzma

originaljulz

Quote from: geneterror on September 23, 2010, 04:29:01 PM
Well that's perspective really Alan. Suzannah and I own an PS3 each haha, I'll try and give my perspective as a PS3 gamer thats going to buy an Xbox360 after Xmas. Until I started to know people from NZism I'd never met that many people that played on an Xbox haha.
I'm getting my Xbox360 to play all the NZism dicks at fighting games, but for me there is not a lot of life left in SSF4 so I'm going to wait until MvC3 conmes out to buy my one. In all honestly it will prob just be a cheap online fighting game platform for me.
ALL my non-fighting game playing friends own a PS3 so there are heaps of people to play online with, never had trouble finding randoms to play RDR with. When GT5 comes out I'm gonna have to make more space on my friends list to add people to play that! I'm thinking of starting a second PSN account just for GT5 friends haha.
Honestly I don't like the Xbox exclusives, couldn't give a crap about Halo and don't really play FPS games at all...and obviously GT5 > Forza ;) For me PS3 rules exclusives for my tastes ie. Little Big Planet, GT5, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3 and soon Disgaea 4, God Of War, Uncharted, Infamous etc
PS3 has the advantage of region free so I can import games like Blazblue etc, which I'm sure interests originaljulz as a Blazblue player. I see people playing Blazblue all the time, no can do on an Xbox at the moment.
Each has their own advantages and disadvantages I'm def not trying to run down the Xbox, I mean I am going to buy one but at the end of the day I'm a PS3 person, if it wasn't for all the good cunts on NZism that play on Xbox there would be know reason for me to get one.

Oh yeah and paying to play online has always put me off, fuck that noise.

Wow what legit response. Yeh, I always used to be more of an Xbox over PS man, till I got a $3000 scholarship at the end of highschool and then bought a computer with it xD

Like I said, the PC is my main gaming platform, so to me, the PS3 is like what buying the 360 is to you. i.e. to play the games I can't already on PC, and to verse friends at the games on that console. The whole region free thing is also a pretty big factor, since a lot of the games I wanna play would need to be imported.

Everyone from NZism playing MvC3 and fighting games in general on the 360 over PS3 kinda makes me sad in the pants though.

But back to my original question... Any suggestions where I should buy one from?

And sorry to jpb123, I pretty much just jacked your thread. (Didn't wanna start a new one though :/)

edit: geneterror, would you say a 160gb console would be big enough, considering the PS3 would only be for the games I couldn't play on PC? What's the capacity on your PS3?
HEAVEN OR HELL? DUAL ONE. LETS ROCK!

Skullator

From my experience, if you have a nice computer, your PS3 HDD will be pretty much empty besides game installs, downloads and save games =\
I got a 60GB and a 250Gb only because it was a special limited edition one, never came remotely close to having storage issues with either tho.

Note: Your PS3 can read your movies \ music \ pictures from your PC directly over your network, pretty much eliminating the need to stash stuff on it.
Java media server is a great tool to use with a PS3, lets your PS3 transcode .mkv files, and all your other formats, and even lets you play softsubs (like .SRT for example) with your movies, ballin.

fluxcore

lol, I was pretty much just trolling.

But since this is a fighting game site, I assume ppl want to play fighting games, and I do strongly believe 360 is the better platform in that regard.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Yeah Graeme and Electric pretty much said it.

I wanted to get an XBOX for that EXACT same reason. But after i thought about it, i was like 'nah that's way too much just to play SSF4 with NZism guys'. Then gotta fork out another $120 or so to dual mod my stick, which i think makes it laggy on the modded platform.

Plus PSN not that bad, i mean look at the dudes that came 1st and 2nd at Nats, they don't even have a console.

Then i decided i was gonna get a Wii ( with my $0 lol ). But the PS move is coming out which everyone reckons will own the wii. So fuck, more money for bourbinos and beewahs. I'm pretty sure i make excuses up subconsciously for those last ones though.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

samurai black

Quote from: Skullator on September 23, 2010, 04:56:55 PM
PS3 HDD will be pretty much empty besides game installs, downloads and save games =\

i should add, if you're a prolific gamer who also likes to have a nice collection,  as well as DLC content, PSN games and the awesome trend of gigantic installs for games. if you dont give a rats ass and trade in like no tomorrow then yeah, no need for an HDD that big.

cunts, just let us stream that shit off the disc like uncharted 2.

Quote from: [NYC] weazzyefff on September 23, 2010, 05:33:59 PM
Then i decided i was gonna get a Wii ( with my $0 lol ). But the PS move is coming out which everyone reckons will own the wii.
bro, the only thing i like about the move is that the controllers are way cheaper than the wii-mote.

originaljulz

Quote from: [NIUE] samurai black on September 23, 2010, 06:01:18 PM
the only thing i like about the move is that the controllers are way cheaper than the wii-mote.

Except they're butt fucking ugly.

Rorooze

only thing that fucks me off about xbox compared to ps3 is I can't play imported games. Other than that, it's pretty sweet really.

If any console let me play an FPS with a keyboard and mouse instead of a pad then i'd buy it instantly. It'd open up the RTS genre to consoles as well, and mmo's. lol

jpb123

I am also looking for a usb Converter as my arcade stick is a PC,PS2,PS3 stick. LINKS PLX!

originaljulz

Quote from: jpb123 on September 23, 2010, 08:33:43 PM
I am also looking for a usb Converter as my arcade stick is a PC,PS2,PS3 stick. LINKS PLX!

Do those actually exist?

To connect my friends PS3 to my pc screen, I used a HDMI to DVI cable. There is a device so that I can plug both my computer and the PS3 into it, and flick a switch to change between the two for my one screen, right?

I'm sure I've seen one/read about one before... Or maybe I just dreamt it up, and thought 'oh that was a good idea.'

Eddy_COMBO

Quote from: karizzma on September 23, 2010, 04:36:32 PM
Just get both. No problem.

if you got the money this is the way to go.

*unless you're a pirate then i guess the xbox is better? (pretty sure someone made a topic about getting free games n stuff)

PSN: primofreak
Currently playing - Call of Duty Black Ops, Soul Calibur 4, MVC2

geneterror

Quote from: originaljulz on September 23, 2010, 10:15:26 PMThere is a device so that I can plug both my computer and the PS3 into it, and flick a switch to change between the two for my one screen, right?

I'm sure I've seen one/read about one before... Or maybe I just dreamt it up, and thought 'oh that was a good idea.'
Yes we use one at work, we have four computers hooked up to one screen and we just select which computer displays using a switcher. Dunno how much though but I'll try and get the name and/or model at work today if you're interested.
KOW 2011

electric

Quote from: geneterror on September 24, 2010, 07:14:53 AM
Yes we use one at work, we have four computers hooked up to one screen and we just select which computer displays using a switcher. Dunno how much though but I'll try and get the name and/or model at work today if you're interested.

That's called a KVM (Keyboard, video, mouse) switch - you can get ones that simply switch input source, which is what it sounds like you're after originaljulz
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

CrazyMobius

So the consoles must be ready for another price drop soon no?