• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Tournament for ticket to Aussie?

Started by Rorooze, March 16, 2011, 10:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rorooze

The opportunity for us to hold our own regional qualifier for OHN9 has recently come to light and we’d like to gauge interest in who would be keen to play in a high stakes tournament, where the winner gets a flight to Australia to compete at OHN9.
OHN9 will be similar to OH APAC where the winner will get a paid trip to compete at EVO 2011.

Now I’m keen to run a tournament for people interested in competing for a ticket to Aussie but only if the interest for such an event is here.

The cost to enter the tournament would roughly be the cost of a flight to Australia divided by the number of participants. Assuming a ticket price of around $400 then for a 8 man tournament it’d be a $50 dollar entry and for a 16 man tournament it’d be a $25 dollar entry. The top three players at the tournament would all get preferential seeding at the OHN9 event so if you get 2nd or 3rd and pay to get yourself there then you will still get a good seed.

The two games on offer would be MVC3 and SSF4 but admittedly I am sceptical that we could get the numbers/money to make both tournaments worthwhile.

If you are interested, could you please post your thoughts here so we can see if it is worthwhile putting something together. Also can you please do it sooner rather than later because we need to contact the OHN guys ASAP about what we're going to do. It’s a shame we didn’t know about this before First Blood but not much we can do about that now! We basically have to make a decision by Friday (and it is late Wednesday now). Chances are we'll make a decision whether we are going to bother with it tomorrow night.

Thanks

Rory

Note: If this does go ahead, it will most likely be played at one of our ranbats.

Rorooze

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Keen for both, but honestly I would only enter SSF4 if there were 15 others keen for it.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

CptMunta

Aw man, had a blast last year at this. Was a really intense tourney. Wish I didn't play Kevin in causals and one before hand only of get downloaded when we had our tourney matches. Can't make it this year saving for nationals instead.

Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

LN

At ranbats counts me out. Have fun, Auckland.

Also consider that the 'high stakes' entry for 16 people is only $5 more than the 'unspecified stake' of first blood entry!
There is no knowledge that is not power

massi4h

Yes, but I know my only shot is through marvel. If there's heaps for ssf4 I'd probably enter though.

HoneyBadger

my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

Rorooze

Ok we got 4 keen for marvel so far and two maybes for SSF4.

Quote from: LN on March 17, 2011, 07:15:08 AM
At ranbats counts me out. Have fun, Auckland.

Also consider that the 'high stakes' entry for 16 people is only $5 more than the 'unspecified stake' of first blood entry!

More QQ about Auckland. Seriously, you didn't even enter First Blood and that was on a Saturday. Can't please everyone, especially you.

samurai black

massi4h

When would you be planning to do the qualifier? I think it'd be better to do it as late as possible so we can all level up more. It's in the end of May. I guess winner would still have to pay a decent amount for accomodation, etc.

Also need to find out when my exams are or else entering the qualifier would be pointless.

Rorooze

At this stage we're probably looking at end of April.

electric

Quote from: Rorooze on March 17, 2011, 10:51:25 AM
At this stage we're probably looking at end of April.

Keen for both - obviously not so keen if it ends up being $100 to enter SSF4 though :P
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

zos'la

I would be keen for SSF4 thxs.
iMagneto is keen as well, confirmed with him.

EDITED: I'll leave the rest to confirm for themselves.

Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.